• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter to Host 2016 X-Games (yes, you read that right)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/04/winter-x-games-announces-new-venue-for-2016

Winter X Games Announces New Venue for 2016

Bristol, CT- With snow levels dwindling in the western United States, ESPN has announced they will be moving the Winter X Games to the east coast in 2016.

Starting in January of 2016, The Winter X Games will be held at Hunter Mountain, NY. With eastern seaboard populations and predictable snow due to lake effect storms coming off Lake Eerie, ESPN producers and Winter X Games organizers found that it is in the event’s best interest to move locations from the majestic but snow starved peaks of Aspen, CO to the blue collar and powder-laden hills of Hunter Mountain, NY. This comes as a pleasant surprise to New Yorkers from all over the state, who are in desperate need of surplus tourist dollars to jumpstart the lagging economy. When asked about what she thought about the change, local bartender Maggie Remington remarked “X Games?” and then realized “So that’s why it was so crowded that one weekend last winter… gotcha.”Hunter

From Aspen to Hunter. How? January in the Catskills is more unpredictable than anywhere out west. There is no logic in this world...

And when did Hunter have a good park setup? Mount Snow, Killington, or Loon would make more sense since they're further north and are known for the terrain parks.

Highway Star

Whitey

Used to be at Mount Snow.

Fail.

I think you're confusing the Dew Tour with X Games. Dew Tour did a couple of years at Mount Snow & then was at Killington (I went to it at both mtns). Then it bailed on the East altogether & hasn't been back for 3-4 yrs now. To the best of my knowledge the X Games have never done an east coast mtn.

Highway Star

I think you're confusing the Dew Tour with X Games. Dew Tour did a couple of years at Mount Snow & then was at Killington (I went to it at both mtns). Then it bailed on the East altogether & hasn't been back for 3-4 yrs now. To the best of my knowledge the X Games have never done an east coast mtn.

orly.jpg

Guess I imagined attending it, knowing several people in various comps, ehhh.

Lol.

skifree

nope. x games held @ mt snow for 2 years

Highway Star

2000 and 2001 actually:

http://espn.go.com/extreme/winterx00/s/skibigair0206.html

Thovex airs it out for gold
by David Boroff,
ESPN.com

MOUNT SNOW, Vt. -- New course, no problem for Candide
Thovex.
The 17-year-old Frenchman grabbed a gold medal in the Skiing Big Air
event Sunday during the final day of competition at ESPN's fourth annual Winter
X Games.
Thovex and the other Big Air athletes had to deal with some adversity
over the weekend. Saturday's preliminaries were postponed because of unsafe,
windy conditions on Panhandle Run. Those conditions may or may not have
contributed to the back injury suffered by Shane Anderson after a spill during
warm-ups on Saturday. Anderson, who strained his back, had to withdraw from the
event.

[FONT=verdana, arial, geneva][/FONT]
The finals were
moved to the adjacent Slopestyle course, and shortened to two runs per athlete.
Thovex only needed one jump to mine gold. Completing a 900, Thovex scored
83.00 points on his first jump. Considered by some of his peers to be the most
up-and-coming Big Air athlete, he had finished fourth in this event in 1999.
Nobody could match Thovex's 900. Skogen Sprang of Mill Valley, Calif.,
had a second run of 81.25 points, earning the silver medal. Twenty-year-old New
York City native Evan Raps also had a strong second run, scoring 80.75 points
with the judges to earn the bronze. Legendary skier Jonny Moseley finished ninth
with a best run of 73.50.
Thovex adjusted best to the modified Big Air course. J.F. Cusson, the
defending champion who finished 15th, wasn't very thrilled with the new
conditions. "I didn't like it, I think the jump was a little small," he said.
"It was a little flat, it wasn't that great for me."
Sprang, who also finished second in the Winter X qualifyer at Squaw
Valley, Calif., said it was the right move to play it safe and move the event.
"It was kind of weird, but it was definitely safer," Sprang said. "It
just didn't look as spectacular, but it was for our expense."
"It took a while to get used to," said 18-year-old Boyd Easley of Flint,
Mich., who finished fourth in his first Big Air event. "I thought the jump was
nice, a little small, but nice."
Rounding out the top 10 were Vincent Dorion (fifth), Philippe Poirier
(sixth), Philippe Belanger (seventh), Tanner Hall (eighth), Moseley (ninth) and
Motoki Shimomura (10th).

I remember the landing for the jump being absolutely massive, can't remember if I actually saw the crash that made them not use it, or if I saw the crash on TV later.

drjeff

2000 and 2001 actually:

http://espn.go.com/extreme/winterx00/s/skibigair0206.html

I remember the landing for the jump being absolutely massive, can't remember if I actually saw the crash that made them not use it, or if I saw the crash on TV later.

I remember that jump too! Massive, especially for back then, for sure. The wild thing is that nowadays, that at most is maybe 10 feet bigger than what Mount Snow builds annually for the last jump on their Inferno park. The sport of free skiing sure has progressed a long way since then!

drjeff

:oops:

I believed it. It wasn't out of the realm of possibility with Mount Snow hosting the X-Games and Killington having the Dew Tour a few years back.

Mount Snow has also hosted the Dew Tour, prior to it being at K. It was supposed to be at Mount Snow for another year or two, but against their contract, due to limitations that Mount Snow has with their pipe location and only being able to build an 18 foot pipe vs. the 22 footer that the Dew Tour wanted, especially in an Olympic year as I recall, the Dew Tour moved to K for a year, Mount Snow then sued the Dew Tour for breach of contract, and won about a 2 million dollar judgement against Alli Sports (the company that puts on Dew Tour events)