• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PSA Vt Hand Held Device Law Enforcement

wa-loaf

I use Waze all the time and love it, but I hate it when people start reporting stupid stuff like fog or rain. I can tell what the damn weather is and it just covers up my screen.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wish Apple would do a good Siri integration with Waze. I'm trying to use voice control for everything.

Have they improved Siri on iPhone6? I have a 5 for work and the Google voice recognition software on my Android is far superior to Siri. Siri searches too locally instead of processing my request verbatim.

bvibert

Staff member
I use Waze all the time and love it, but I hate it when people start reporting stupid stuff like fog or rain. I can tell what the damn weather is and it just covers up my screen.

I haven't seen that too much around here, but yesterday morning it was very foggy everywhere and I kept getting alerts every few miles on the highway. Very annoying.

gmcunni

you get points when you file reports, maybe the cops are filling a bunch of weather reports on Waze to build up their credibility so they can then use that to report fake police traps ???

deadheadskier

Staff member
The concept of a fine is pretty lame, but I pretty much always drive with my lights on anyways. It should be common sense to turn on lights in foul weather, but people are idiots. I'll drive with my lights on even during a sunny day. I figure if the lights catch the attention of an otherwise distracted driver, then that's a good thing.

ctenidae

I leave my lights on because I think they look bad ass.

Not really, mine are always on automatic. They turn on when the auto wipers turn on. I wonder, though, why it's SOP for car dealers and service centers to turn the auto lights off every time they take the car. So annoying.

Puck it

I leave my lights on because I think they look bad ass.

Not really, mine are always on automatic. They turn on when the auto wipers turn on. I wonder, though, why it's SOP for car dealers and service centers to turn the auto lights off every time they take the car. So annoying.
Probably because they turn on in the garage and are bright.

Puck it

The MA wiper law is an insurance scam. The ticket is $5 but a moving violation so the insurance company is making the money not the towns. I probably costs more to process the ticket then the fine. WTF!!!!!!!

mlctvt

CT has the wiper law too. If your wipers are on your lights have to be too.
Makes perfect sense to me. It's amazing that people don't put on their lights in driving rain when you can't see more than 50 feet. I like our Subarus; when you turn off the car ignition the lights as go off as well, so you can jut leave the switch in the on position all the time.

The Feds are considering forcing car manufacturers to have lights come on automatically when the wipers are activated. I wouldn't doubt this becoming law in the coming years.

Last edited:

gmcunni

CT has the wiper law too. If your wipers are on your lights have to be too.

timely. my 16YO daughter has her permit and we were out driving today. as the rain fell and the wipers went on i told her about the MA law and she asked it was a CT law also, to which i confessed i had no idea

Geoff

Vermont law says the only place you can put anything but an inspection sticker on a windshield is a small area on the top driver's side or bottom passenger's side.

When the Vermont State Police are in rabid "pull over any car for anything hoping to get a DUI" mode on the Killington Access Road on Friday and Saturday evenings, they pull over all the cars with Vermont plates that have an EZPass behind the mirror.

Here is part of the statute:
23 V.S.A. § 1125

1125. Obstructing windshields
(a) No person shall paste, stick, or paint advertising matter or other things on or over any transparent part of a motor vehicle windshield, vent windows, or side windows located immediately to the left and right of the operator, nor hang any object, other than a rear view mirror, in back of the windshield except as follows:
(1) in a space not over four inches high and 12 inches long in the lower right-hand corner of the windshield;
(2) in such space as the commissioner of motor vehicles may specify for location of any sticker required by governmental regulation;
(3) in a space not over two inches high and two and one-half inches long in the upper left-hand corner of the windshield;

Geoff

Headlights on with wipers on required in Mass. starting today.

I looked up the statute. I don't get it. It says nothing about windshield wipers. It says that you need to use your headlights if visibility is reduced. The way they define "headlamps", the daytime running lights on most cars probably don't qualify unless your DRL really are your headlights. If it's sprinkling a bit and you're using intermittent wipers, I don't see how visibility is reduced. If you're driving through smoke or a dust storm or a mosquito swarm, you need to use your headlights even though you're not using your wipers.

Here is the piece of the statute that was changed:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section7

Every automobile operated during the period from one half an hour after sunset to one half an hour before sunrise, and during any other period when visibility is reduced by atmospheric conditions so as to render dangerous further operation without lights being displayed, shall display at least two lighted white headlamps with at least one mounted at each side of the front of the vehicle