• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PSA Vt Hand Held Device Law Enforcement

Geoff

Have they improved Siri on iPhone6? I have a 5 for work and the Google voice recognition software on my Android is far superior to Siri. Siri searches too locally instead of processing my request verbatim.

Siri is software. If you're running iOS 8.2, it has the same voice recognition capability on an iPhone 4S as it does on an iPhone 6.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Gotcha. I'm not a computer guy. All I know is the Siri software tends to over think things instead of just recording my voice commands and plugging it into a web search.

Example: last Wednesday I arrived late into Logan and wanted to call the Marriott in VT I was staying at to tell them to hold my room. I asked Siri for the number and kept getting local Marriott's in Mass. Android got the number right on 1st try. Stuff like this happens all the time while traveling for business

bvibert

Staff member
timely. my 16YO daughter has her permit and we were out driving today. as the rain fell and the wipers went on i told her about the MA law and she asked it was a CT law also, to which i confessed i had no idea

It's been that way for quite a while now. At least that's what I was taught when I was learning to drive.

I don't know that's it's ever been enforced though. It always amazes me how many people don't think to turn on their lights when it's raining or foggy.

gmcunni

It's been that way for quite a while now. At least that's what I was taught when I was learning to drive.

I don't know that's it's ever been enforced though. It always amazes me how many people don't think to turn on their lights when it's raining or foggy.

i was taught the same but wasn't aware it was a law. over the years as cars get smarter with driving lights i don't think about it but driving lights don't illuminate in the rear which seems like the law now

bvibert

Staff member
i was taught the same but wasn't aware it was a law. over the years as cars get smarter with driving lights i don't think about it but driving lights don't illuminate in the rear which seems like the law now

I thought it was a law when I learned to drive, but it could have been one of those common sense things. Having your tail lights on in low visibility makes just as much sense as having your headlights on. I've come up on cars, without their lights on, in rain/fog that I could barely see until I was pretty close to them.

gmcunni

from AAA web site, can't be sure how accurate it is:

Connecticut
Headlights are required to be on 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, in conditions of insufficent light/adverse weather, or when visibility is less than 500 feet.

no specific mention of wipers (other states do mention it)

but regardless wipers and lights is a good combo.

wa-loaf

A lot of people in MA breaking the law in the last 24 hrs! :)

skiNEwhere

+1 on waze/Siri integration

It takes way too much effort and your eyes off the road as well to report a speedtrap

bvibert

Staff member
Waze does have built in voice commands (at least it does on Android), but it's turned off by default. Once you enable it you just tap the screen with 3 fingers and it will listen for your command.

gmcunni

Waze does have built in voice commands (at least it does on Android), but it's turned off by default. Once you enable it you just tap the screen with 3 fingers and it will listen for your command.

you can even set it to sense motion... i have it set to WAVE TWICE, i pass my hand infront of the phone x2 (i have iphone) and it asks what i want.. quick way to report speed traps and really don't have to look down, tho i do quickly turn off the radio to eliminate noise

bvibert

Staff member
you can even set it to sense motion... i have it set to WAVE TWICE, i pass my hand infront of the phone x2 (i have iphone) and it asks what i want.. quick way to report speed traps and really don't have to look down, tho i do quickly turn off the radio to eliminate noise

Yeah, I tried the waving thing, but I couldn't get it to work. Maybe I just suck at waving??

Regarding the radio, I always stream music from my phone, so the music is automatically attenuated when Waze (or any other app) wants to talk, or is waiting for voice input. I'll admit that I haven't actually used the voice commands with Waze, but I know it's there. I do use Google Now (like Siri, but.. you know.. better) to send texts and whatnot using voice commands, it would be nice if Waze was integrated into it instead.