• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does Mad River Scare You a Little? NO!

jimk

Long thread that clearly touched a nerve. Didn't read the whole thing, but I think it started out as an MRG appreciation and devolved into skier vs. boarder thing.
Bottom line on MRG: great terrain, interesting snow, and definitely a special vibe. I skied for over 40 years before I finally went there. Loved it instantly and have made three visits there since. Here is most special quality: the patrons there respect the experience of skiing. They are there to feel the breeze, the thigh burn, the branches tapping on your helmet. There are just fewer distractions involving all the non-skiing crap in the world. I think good-hearted boarders can and would contribute to that vibe. It will come some day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ski it if you can? Meaning ski it if you can get more than 2 runs in an afternoon?

Too funny. One guy goes out and finds long lines, and everyone writes off the place. LOL! You must attract moths too. I never have that kind of line. I was there a week ago Saturday, never waited in a line, skied my brains out until my legs said "uncle". Had to take a "power nap" afterwards in order to get home!

Old-school includes long lift lines. Not just rocks, dirt, ice and grass. Old school means slow lifts. The single chair is intentional. Keeps from getting too many people on the slope at once, not just because its a retro lift. Want to see lines? Go on a powder day. But they don't care, because each and every skier will get first tracks somewhere, everywhere.

BenedictGomez

With all the bump talk in this thread I thought MRG's FB video today was interesting. I wouldn't call these exceptionally nicely formed bumps.

Seriously?

Criticizing bump structure on April 13th?

In 64F temps?

That post was an example of trying way too hard to be intentionally negative.

Cannonball

Seriously?

In 64F temps?

Not trying to be negative at all. There's been a lot of random, subjective comments in this thread. This is some actual footage. Make what you want of it.

As far as date and temps go, spring makes for some of the best bumps. Avalanche at Cannon had killer bumps on Sunday. Wish I had taken a pic.

Savemeasammy

Seriously?

In 64F temps?

Agree with Cannonball. I counted exactly zero zipper lines in that video. Although there ARE good bumps to be found at MRG, clearly Chute is not the place to find them right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiur

Seriously?

In 64F temps?

ummm when should bumps be better than a warm april day???

jaytrem

ummm when should bumps be better than a warm april day???

I was at MRG yesterday, bumps were pretty much perfect from opening to closing. Plenty of zipper lines to be found. Chute was great, a number of people were just lapping that. No lift lines, so I got a great workout for sure. Got around 20 runs on the single and 6 on the double. Heading to Sugarbush in a few minutes, I like the 10-5 schedule, lets the bumps soften earlier in the ski day.

Scruffy

With all the bump talk in this thread I thought MRG's FB video today was interesting. I wouldn't call these exceptionally nicely formed bumps. And I wouldn't call these even moderately good bump skiers. Maybe a connection?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153160679965432

Obviously showing, like their promo video that started this thread, that you do not need to be Hannah Kearney to ski there. Bumps form as they do there, no seeding, no grooming* - "Ski it if you can". They're not bragging they are the best at anything or everything. "Ski it if you can" is left open for interpretation - like reading a good book, or poetry, you fill in the details; a brilliant piece of marketing prose, that has stood the test of time. If the slogan had been "Ski it if you think you've got the stuff", it would have been an abject failure - in fact a laughingstock. Allowing the reader to fill in what "Ski it if you can" means to them is what has built the mystique.

*Yes, I know they groom some blue and green runs, that's not the point.

BenedictGomez

Agree with Cannonball. I counted exactly zero zipper lines in that video.

That's not the part I was disagreeing with him about.

The part about criticizing bump appearance at 3:30pm on a 64 degree day was.

By the end of the day, bumps get sheered off, ripped in half, and torn apart in that weather. Fun? Oh yes, very much. But they're often sloppy and disheveled at that point.

deadheadskier

Staff member

By the end of the day, bumps get sheered off, ripped in half, and torn apart in that weather. Fun? Oh yes, very much. But they're often sloppy and disheveled at that point.

If you're trying to demonstrate massive ignorance regarding moguls, you've earned an A+

Sheared off? Ripped in half? Torn apart?

I'm going to throw down the gauntlet and suggest you won't find 3 people in this forum that agrees with that description. Never in my 30 + years have I seen a mogul "ripped in half" on a warm spring day.

What does happen on a 64 degree day is they typically get bigger and bigger and the troughs get deeper and deeper. Now bigger doesn't always equal better. That's where the phrase "swallowed up in the moguls" comes from.

But ripped in half? Serious lol there.

Savemeasammy

Killington yesterday. Somewhere in the mid 60's to maybe 70.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429024155.400501.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429024173.301082.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429024208.068262.jpg

All of these bumps - and more - were there when we got there. They got better as the day progressed, not worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

If you're trying to demonstrate massive ignorance regarding moguls, you've earned an A+

Sheared off? Ripped in half? Torn apart?

Yes, ripped in half and thrown off on extremely warm days. Depending on the weather it could take multiple days of this warmth so that the heat has near fully penetrated the snowpack (snow reflects light, but absorbs radiant heat), and instead of a bit of a mogul's snow being removed like 99% of winter, big corn piles are instead shaved off.

And putting the thermal science aside for a moment....... for the love of god, who on earth judges mogul quality in 64 degree temps? They're more like piles of corn, slush, and very soft wet snow at that point. There's a reason the FIS Freestyle mogul tour is packed with events in January and February, and over by late February or very early March, and it's not because the moguls character/quality are best in late March and April.