• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does Mad River Scare You a Little? NO!

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you want to start talking business, you're out of your mind if you think business would decrease at MRG if they allowed boarders.

My argument boils down to this. Take someone like Cannonball who both skis and snowboards. Give me 3 good reasons why a MRG guest would have a better experience spending the day with Cannonball on skis compared to if he was on a board.

Honestly I can't think of one.

That's why the ban is utterly stupid

Cannonball

If you want to start talking business, you're out of your mind if you think business would decrease at MRG if they allowed boarders.

My argument boils down to this. Take someone like Cannonball who both skis and snowboards. Give me 3 good reasons why a MRG guest would have a better experience spending the day with Cannonball on skis compared to if he was on a board.

Honestly I can't think of one.

That's why the ban is utterly stupid

Let me take this one....there aren't 3 reasons. There isn't even 1. Because although I fully respect their right to have the ban I won't even SKI there as long as they don't allow snowboarding. And this isn't conjecture (like most of this thread) it's the straight up reality of the past 20 years.

Here's my view:
Running a small business in a competitive industry is extremely tough. You need to do everything you can to create your own market. for MRG they are in the difficult position of being down the street from Sugarbush, a resort that offers pretty much anything a skiing or snowboarding customer could want. MRG clearly can't compete head to head from an economic perspective of offering amenities. So they need to create a unique experience that draws in a certain demographic. That includes stripped-down amenities, cheap tickets, open eoods policy, slow lifts, limited grooming, a challenging mystique (despite the spin some people in this thread have attempted), and the snowboard ban. To me that is a smart business decision. They understand that there is a marketplace of people who desire no snowboarding around them. I have no problem with the niche MRG has identified and the business decision to market to that demographic.

What I do have a problem with is the demographic itself! This is the core of DHS's question above. If these people care what i put on my feet they have some issues. And you can throw out all of the pseudo-justifications about mogul quality, challenging lift unloads, etc. Because I am a far better snowboarder than skier. Me on skis is WAY more likely to be a terrain/lift issue than me on a board.

Bottom line: as long as there are people who don't like snowboarders as a group, MRG is smart to market to them. And as long as those people dominate MRG's market I won't be skiing there.

twinplanx

I don't judge the rider by what is on his/her feet. MRG as a private enterprise, is free to do so...

BenedictGomez

MRG clearly can't compete head to head from an economic perspective of offering amenities. So they need to create a unique experience that draws in a certain demographic. That includes stripped-down amenities, cheap tickets, open eoods policy, slow lifts, limited grooming, a challenging mystique, and the snowboard ban. To me that is a smart business decision.

Which is all that matters.

Though I think your (seeming?) belief that the snowboard ban is the most important item noted in your lengthy list, is off-base. I do think it helps make them unique from the historical angle and from the mogul quality angle, but to me the snowboard ban is the least important of those items. The old age, old school attitude with disdain for grooming, and "lost in time" feel to MRG is what I liked most about the place, and I suspect there are many if not most who feel the same way. I look forward to going back.

Cannonball

Which is all that matters.

Though I think your (seeming?) belief that the snowboard ban is the most important item noted in your lengthy list, is off-base. I so think it helps make them unique from the historical angle and from the mogul quality angle, but to me the snowboard ban is the least important of those items. The old age, old school attitude with disdain for grooming, and "lost in time" feel to the place is what I liked most about the place, and I suspect their are many if not most who feel the same way. I look forward to going back.

Never said it was the most important...just the one we were talking about. And the one that's kept me from buying a ticket there for 20 years.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Skied MRG yesterday. They should ban as many people as possible on weekends. Singles line was ski on until about 11 then the masses showed up and it went up to about 45 minutes. Skied the double which was only about a 10/15 minute wait at that point. Later around 3 the single wasn't as bad because everyone was on the deck.

dlague

At a time where women are allowed at Augusta and business shut down because they refused to serve LBHS, it seems that what someone wears to slide should not make a difference either. We are all brother and sisters of winter - can't we all just get along and share?