• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Damage Reports (Spring 2015)

BenedictGomez

This is a thread where you can list your Spring 2015 damage reports.

I'm amazed how much snow has been eaten in the last 24 hours.

polls_skipper_5B1_5D_3753_518976_answer_1_xlarge.gif

BenedictGomez

This one's for Smuggler's Notch (04/03/15):

Another 2 days like this and I think Smuggs would have to close as the warm temps and rain did quite a number, so it's a good thing the cold returns tonight. There are pools of water on the flats of many trails, and bare spots aplenty popping up on Morse. The crossover from Madonna to Morse was like cream of mushroom soup in spots. The 60 degrees created slush rather than corn.

My first (11:15am) and last run (3:30pm) of the day took me through Bermuda. It was dicey at first, but doable, but just a little over 4 hours later there were a few mandatory bare spots. It will probably be closed without snow tonight. And those roots, twigs, rocks, downed trees etc.. that you haven't seen since December? They'reeeeee bahhhhckkkkk. Tip rocker came in handy today a few times.

Upper mountain is holding up well though, woods like Shakedown (photo below) were soft and with zero bare spots. Net/net, however, Vermont is going to need that 4" or so of fresh snow tonight or tomorrow is going to be a skating rink.

EDIT: added pic

SD_Page_1.jpg

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
well played Bob. :lol:

I was in VT for work today. When I rolled through the Bolton Flats at 3PM on my way home, the car thermometer hit 71 degrees. It's April. It get's warm unfortunately.

WWF-VT

It's full on mud season on my road at Mt Ellen. Deep ruts and will be nasty with the next freeze.

Riverskier

Was at Sunday River on Thursday. Just a few scattered patches showing up on natural stuff. Granted yesterday was quite warm, but overall they are buried, and I would be pretty shocked if they don't make their May 2nd closing date.

Smellytele

This one's for Smuggler's Notch (04/03/15):

Another 2 days like this and I think Smuggs would have to close as the warm temps and rain did quite a number, so it's a good thing the cold returns tonight. There are pools of water on the flats of many trails, and bare spots aplenty popping up on Morse. The crossover from Madonna to Morse was like cream of mushroom soup in spots. The 60 degrees created slush rather than corn.

My first (11:15am) and last run (3:30pm) of the day took me through Bermuda. It was dicey at first, but doable, but just a little over 4 hours later there were a few mandatory bare spots. It will probably be closed without snow tonight. And those roots, twigs, rocks, downed trees etc.. that you haven't seen since December? They'reeeeee bahhhhckkkkk. Tip rocker came in handy today a few times.

Upper mountain is holding up well though, woods like Shakedown (photo below) were soft and with zero bare spots. Net/net, however, Vermont is going to need that 4" or so of fresh snow tonight or tomorrow is going to be a skating rink.

EDIT: added pic

SD_Page_1.jpg

Today they got a least 6 and everything was back in play. No bare spots.

BenedictGomez

Today they got a least 6 and everything was back in play. No bare spots.

Everything was back in play, but there were definitely still some bare spots in lower-mountain woods like Poacher's Woods and Bermuda if we count exposed rocks and roots etc... as bare areas.

I will say that in my entire skiing life, I've never seen a more dramatic < 24 hour change in conditions.

It went from spring slush, bare spots, rivers, and shorts & T-shirt skiing, to 8" to 10" of fresh snow, knee deep in certain glades, legitimate powder skiing in approximately 18 hours. I've never seen anything like it, and I feel fortunate to have experienced both ends.

jrmagic

Everything was back in play, but there were definitely still some bare spots in lower-mountain woods like Poacher's Woods and Bermuda if we count exposed rocks and roots etc... as bare areas.

I will say that in my entire skiing life, I've never seen a more dramatic < 24 hour change in conditions.

It went from spring slush, bare spots, rivers, and shorts & T-shirt skiing, to 8" to 10" of fresh snow, knee deep in certain glades, legitimate powder skiing in approximately 18 hours. I've never seen anything like it, and I feel fortunate to have experienced both ends.

Didn't get the powder down at magic but Friday was incredible with the Temps and awesome spring conditions with no mank. Can't remember the last time skiing trees here in April with no issues as far as cover goes. Saturday was back to winter but not totally frozen. There was some rain damage with a couple of natural trails showing a little grass especially west facing aspects but the whole mountain still has cover. After the sun came out in the afternoon things were pretty fun. There is enough snow to outlast the people for sure.