• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Season Grade

VTKilarney

It's that time of year... What grade do you give this ski season?

I give it a "B". December was excellent, and while there wasn't more than average snowfall where I ski, the snow stuck around after the Christmas thaw. There were a couple of negatives, however: a) the hardback that developed after the Christmas thaw was a factor for the remainder of the year; b) we had very few ski days with temperatures in the 20-32 range. Bitter cold with wind was common this winter.

All in all a very good year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is your primary skiing experience from out west? This is the second time I've seen you mention "the hardpack " sticking around all winter. That hard pack base is a reality at every single eastern ski area every single winter. It rains, we have high water content snow both manmade and natural. In my 31 years of skiing it's always been a factor. Even during the record winter of 2000-2001 when I skied 100+ days at Stowe during that 400+ inch season; the base was hard pack. Basically that's a water is wet statement. Was this your first year skiing much? Nothing wrong with that it's just your hard pack comment is very much a noob statement.

I'll withhold my grade until I hang up the sticks in hopefully at least a month.

VTKilarney

Was this your first year skiing much? Nothing wrong with that it's just your hard pack comment is very much a noob statement.
I didn't get back into the sport until last February. Prior to that the last couple of years I had skied had been out west.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well there you go. Get used to the hard pack. :lol: It's a factor every single eastern winter.

skiNEwhere

I'd give it a C. If I didn't get those 2 powder days in December it would be much lower. It's been pretty much spring skiing for the last 2+ months here, and way, way too hot

makimono

I give the season an A...me and my ability to take advantage of it gets a C...hopeful to bring up my grade with a kickass spring though!

skiMEbike

Lock this thread....Grades don't come out until May. Spring skiing is FINALLY here....So get out there & bring up those grades.

granite

Is your primary skiing experience from out west? This is the second time I've seen you mention "the hardpack " sticking around all winter. That hard pack base is a reality at every single eastern ski area every single winter. It rains, we have high water content snow both manmade and natural. In my 31 years of skiing it's always been a factor. Even during the record winter of 2000-2001 when I skied 100+ days at Stowe during that 400+ inch season; the base was hard pack. Basically that's a water is wet statement. Was this your first year skiing much? Nothing wrong with that it's just your hard pack comment is very much a noob statement.

I'll withhold my grade until I hang up the sticks in hopefully at least a month.

I agee, it's too early to give final grades when ski season is far from over.

fbrissette

I agee, it's too early to give final grades when ski season is far from over.

I partly agree but the most important 'winter' part of the season is over. Lots of people enjoy soft moguls, sunburns and a cold one outside, but personally, i would gladly trade 10 perfect spring days (like yesterday) for a couple additional pow days.

I will enjoy snow till it last, but once there is no pow left to be found (even in the backcountry), the real ski season is over. In my book, incredibly good or bad April-May skiing has a minimal effect on my grading.

This season is a B in my book.

Old Duderino

The season's over for me, my kids spring sports seasons are under way and even if I wanted to go it's a long drive to any place that's still open. Although I wish I would have gotten more days in than the dozen I got I'd have to give this season an A. Although the west didn't get a lot of snow we timed our Colorado trip perfectly and got three good powder days, two of which were deep. I finally got to experience a deep day on a snowboard, which I have to admit beats skiing as long as theres not a lot of hiking or traversing involved. Took a family portrait on top of Highland Bowl before we all got to hit it when it's as good as it gets.

I do wish we could have worked in a trip to the NE since by most accounts it was a very good year. Hopefully next year.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
While the snow continues to be epic, the timing of the weather has been a disaster for the eastern skiing areas:
- Christmas: Rain
- MLK: Sunday of the weekend lost to rain
- President's Day weekend: Roads are bad, snow is amazing, but people are staying away. Feb. 2015 was the 2nd coldest NH Feb. in 143 years of record keeping.

Now in terms of my enjoyment of a day of skiing, for me it isn't just about the snow quality: it's wind; it's temperature; it's crowd; it's the hill I'm on; etc. If one cherry picks days, every season has its great days. But for those in the 50+ a day club, this season just wasn't that good!

I'm suggesting that the season to date is B- for the skiers; but C- to D+ for the areas' bottom lines.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I don't see your logic, Joshua, unless you are that averse to cold weather. There was a solid 8 weeks without a freeze/thaw period this winter. When was the last time that happened in the east? While I readily admit this season was far from record snowfalls, there was plenty to go around. IMHO, the lack of freeze/thaws for 2 months alone puts this season at a B in and of itself. I am hopefully far from finished for the season so I will refrain from giving my final grade at the moment. I won't even open the "Closing Dates" thread.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm with you Marc. Killington (and I assume many other places) advertised at one point that they had gone 50 straight days where the temperature at the base didn't exceed 32.

Personally? My perfect winter would have the temps stay 20 or colder from November straight through March.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I don't see your logic, Joshua, unless you are that averse to cold weather. There was a solid 8 weeks without a freeze/thaw period this winter. When was the last time that happened in the east? While I readily admit this season was far from record snowfalls, there was plenty to go around. IMHO, the lack of freeze/thaws for 2 months alone puts this season at a B in and of itself. I am hopefully far from finished for the season so I will refrain from giving my final grade at the moment. I won't even open the "Closing Dates" thread.
My idea of an "A" season was 2010-1: Good snow Xmas, MLK and pres. week. No January thaw to speak of. No extreme weather.

yeggous

My idea of an "A" season was 2010-1: Good snow Xmas, MLK and pres. week. No January thaw to speak of. No extreme weather.

I don't care about holiday weekends more than any other. I give it a B because the snow in the mountains was unremarkable. December was excellent but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

This was an A+ for me personally. Had been working at a local area part time for the last 5 years for extra $ and free skiing. Was laid-off from my full time gig in Nov, put in a few hours working lifts in Dec while really enjoying the early season powder, worked 60+ hrs/week loading lifts after the Christmas rain through the MLK rainy weekend. Got a real job back the next week, then skied powder loaded glades for the next 6 weekends while only working a few Sat/Sun on the lifts. The only lift ticket paid so far this year was $89 for SR two weeks ago and had a great day after a free day at Wildcat. Hoping to get one last day at Mt Snow before calling it quits. Yes, Feb was really cold, but the powder was first rate for S NH.

snoseek

Skiing wise F- for me.

I had a great time this winter though and learned to ski rocky super techy lines with VERY little snow and often less than ideal surface conditions. Off skis I had lots of fun also. Maybe next year will get back to normal out here?

BenedictGomez

I think people are grading WAY too hard.

This season I'd give a B+, only losing marks due to the fact that it was so brutally cold on many weekends when many (most) can get away.

But there was no thaw at all, and plenty of 3" to 5" refreshers all season long. I though it was a great year.

BenedictGomez

Even during the record winter of 2000-2001 when I skied 100+ days at Stowe during that 400+ inch season

This was pre the times when all pics were digital, so I'd have to dig them out, but I have some great pics of trail signs being BURIED, as well as ski patrol digging out the Starr sign with their hands.

EDIT: this sign

starr.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup. Snow was higher than that fence at one point. We were dropping off it on powder days when the ice flow below it would get briefly covered