• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville Intel

HD333

Anyone have any Intel/insights on the Waterville seasonal rental market?
Possibly looking for a 2 bedroom dog friendly condo in the village area for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xwhaler

Anyone have any Intel/insights on the Waterville seasonal rental market?
Possibly looking for a 2 bedroom dog friendly condo in the village area for next season.

Getting out of Okemo and into WV? I have no insight into rentals in WV unfortunately

HD333

That's a big change. Did you not care for OneNote?

We liked Okemo. Location was great, people were great. I think the terrain ran its course, and yes I know WV will run its course pretty quickly too but the wife and I used to ski there a lot pre-kids.

The real reason for looking elsewhere is the kids sports being year round and eating into ski weekends. I think we would all be happier renting a place off mountain for half the price but in a village setting like WV.

I'm just looking at options. Who knows what will happen.

Any village like setting suggestions to look at would be appreciated.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What about downtown Lincoln, NH?? Similar commute as Waterville. I find Loon and Cannon both more compelling ski mountains than Waterville. Seems like a fair amount of restaurants and other off-hill diversions in Lincoln.

HD333

What about downtown Lincoln, NH?? Similar commute as Waterville. I find Loon and Cannon both more compelling ski mountains than Waterville. Seems like a fair amount of restaurants and other off-hill diversions in Lincoln.

Lincoln is on our radar, The crowds at Loon scare me though. Is there any rental inventory at Cannon?

If we do WV I would consider the Super Pass so we could mix it up a bit.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Great info Chico.

I'm sure the crowds at Loon would be similar to Okemo. You avoid the Gondola there like you do the Six Pack at Okemo.

If I were to ever consider renting in Lincoln, it wouldn't be to ski Loon except for maybe the Sunday afternoon deal. I'd rent there and get a Superpass like you say and ski Cannon when the natural is good and Bretton or WV when snowmaking surfaces are the play.

4aprice

HD, I thought you had a place at Winnipesaukee. That's not close enough to the ski areas?

Lincoln would be my choice for a ski town. Great location. Ate at El Charro twice this season, (decent Mex food), the second time, we found out they had taken over the location next to theirs and put in a big room with a dance floor. Going to be checking out the town as well for decent places to stay as its close to PSU when we come up to visit.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

HD333

HD, I thought you had a place at Winnipesaukee. That's not close enough to the ski areas?

Lincoln would be my choice for a ski town. Great location. Ate at El Charro twice this season, (decent Mex food), the second time, we found out they had taken over the location next to theirs and put in a big room with a dance floor. Going to be checking out the town as well for decent places to stay as its close to PSU when we come up to visit.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Family place on Winni really isn't winterized, we made it work for awhile but closest skiing is 30 minutes away at Gunstock, WV is a solid 40 minutes. After being Slopeside for 2 seasons we want to get as close as possible to a mountian.

On a side note Winni house is going to be knocked down and rebuilt so that may become an option in a few years.

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

You mention the "village" setting.There really isnt much going on at Wallyworld center.Lincoln blows that away by far.Access is a lot better right of 93 and your more central to other and better ski areas.Waterville is pretty much a stay right there setup in my opinion.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I ever rented a place in Waterville I'd lose my license within6 months from speeding tickets.

Stomachdoc would be a good person to message though for information. He had a place there for many years

yeggous

If I ever rented a place in Waterville I'd lose my license within6 months from speeding tickets.

Stomachdoc would be a good person to message though for information. He had a place there for many years

Yes, the speed traps are brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

granite

Unless you're planning on skiing during the week, don't go near Waterville or Loon and opt for Cannon, or Bretton Woods. In Lincoln check out Woodworth's and in Franconia Hillwinds. I think seasonals start at around $2,000 which is very reasonable. There are a lot of other seasonals in Franconia too. My advise though is to stay away from Waterville and Loon on weekends.

HD333

Unless you're planning on skiing during the week, don't go near Waterville or Loon and opt for Cannon, or Bretton Woods. In Lincoln check out Woodworth's and in Franconia Hillwinds. I think seasonals start at around $2,000 which is very reasonable. There are a lot of other seasonals in Franconia too. My advise though is to stay away from Waterville and Loon on weekends.

Thanks for the info. Looking more for a condo/house type situation. We actually stayed at Woodwards for a weekend years ago and for what it is it was a nice experience.

stomachdoc

Thanks for the info. Looking more for a condo/house type situation. We actually stayed at Woodwards for a weekend years ago and for what it is it was a nice experience.

If you've got young kids, looking for a quiet village type setting with no McDonalds, and want a ski area where everyone ends up at the same place, then you should absolutely consider Waterville. We rented for a couple of years before we bought a place, and sold when our kids grew up and didn't want to go anywhere on the weekends except to basketball practice and their friend's houses. Downside to Waterville is limited restaurants and nightlife. It's a really nice community, and very family oriented. Great 10 years there. Agree with other posters, you won't be making many trips from Waterville unless you are very motivated because it's 12 miles off the highway and, well, once you're there its very convenient to stay there!

The local real estate folks get many of the listings...wvnh.com

Vortex

If you've got young kids, looking for a quiet village type setting with no McDonalds, and want a ski area where everyone ends up at the same place, then you should absolutely consider Waterville. We rented for a couple of years before we bought a place, and sold when our kids grew up and didn't want to go anywhere on the weekends except to basketball practice and their friend's houses. Downside to Waterville is limited restaurants and nightlife. It's a really nice community, and very family oriented. Great 10 years there. Agree with other posters, you won't be making many trips from Waterville unless you are very motivated because it's 12 miles off the highway and, well, once you're there its very convenient to stay there!

The local real estate folks get many of the listings...wvnh.com

Common theme when I had a place in Campton. Drive slow to Waterville. Usually there was a car off the road on way there due to black ice.
Candy store, fireworks and Sleigh rides in the village. 90% of the time we skied Loon, 10 % Waterville. In the summer we were always there. Loved the Village for the Kids. Perfect place for young families, Very easy short ride home Sunday. Easy for Parents and kids.

Cannonball

I'll reiterate what do many people have said in this thread: Lincoln beats Waterville for village feel and for options.

We started doing seasonal rentals in Franconia in 2006. We then moved to Lincoln in 2010. We liked the shorter drive time on late nights or last minute trips. Plus we like the more restaurants, services, etc. After a couple years of seasonal condo rentals we ended up buying a house in Lincoln. Love it! Things we like about Lincoln: the locals, the dozen-ish restaurants, 24-hr grocery store, multiple small food shops, movie theater, gear shops, access to hiking including the Kanc, low taxes.

We ski Cannon but I can see the appeal of Loon. Shuttle buses run through Town all day long making things very easy. Besides skiing Loon hosts tons of cool events.

Actually our intro to Lincoln was through Bob R's tip on a Realtor. All these years later you still might want to call one of the big Lincoln realtors (eg Coldwell) to see what rentals they have. If you want input on specific locations feel free to hit me up.