• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are you guilty? 6 Things Skiers Should Never Do

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's a pretty good list....

And that's a good picture of Highwaystar. :wink:

screen_shot_2015-04-06_at_9.22.25_am.png

Last edited:

4aprice

Is this (generally) true?

Don't pay much attention to the ratings from area to area but anything steep or mellow is better with Better Snow on it and that's what the west has. For example Starr with a hard surface is harder to ski then a lot of double diamonds out west, but not nearly as enjoyable.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Starr with a soft surface is harder than most double diamonds out West because it's so narrow. You get one or two chances to turn, and that's it. Out West, everything is so wide open, there's a million different lines. Don't think you can quite make that turn? No problem, just wait and turn in 10 feet, or 50 feet. Turn whenever you're comfortable.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Starr with a soft surface is harder than most double diamonds out West because it's so narrow. You get one or two chances to turn, and that's it. Out West, everything is so wide open, there's a million different lines. Don't think you can quite make that turn? No problem, just wait and turn in 10 feet, or 50 feet. Turn whenever you're comfortable.

Well, not ALL terrain out west falls into that category. I can think of several areas at Alta, Snowbird, and hell, even Deer Valley that are relatively narrow because of trees and/or cliffs, chutes, rock, etc.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
This was taken in West Baldy at Snowbird, so I know it can get tight.

My first time out West (A-Basin), I didn't look at a trail mail, just went down what looked good. Looked at the map at the end of the day and realized my first few runs was down Pallavinci and North Glade with EX signs all over the map.

Attachments

• 1428511785626.jpg
    1428511785626.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 105

crank

I am guilty of name dropping pro skiers I have met and worked with in the past.