• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alta/Snowbird with skiNEwhere: April 4, 2015

thetrailboss

Staff member
Resort: Alta/Snowbird

Date: Saturday, April 4, 2015

Conditions: Variable/SC/WS; Sunny with temps in the 40's.

Report: Last year skiNEwhere, like others on here, reached out to let me know that he was coming to Utah en route west and wanted to do some skiing in LCC. Unfortunately I was not able to make that it that day due to work, so this year I tried hard to keep a day open for him.

We met just before first tram. He was a die hard having skied at Copper Mountain the day before and sleeping in his car overnight. I was eager to show him the goods considering his efforts to come to Utah.

We started in Mineral Basin--working the usual suspects including Powder Paradise, White Diamonds, and trying out Lupine Loop which is getting pretty thin on the last pitch. We tried out an off-groomed section of Powder Paradise and things were not quite soft yet, so we headed over to Baldy Express and did a couple off of that before crossing over to Alta.

Alta was surprisingly quiet considering that it was Easter Weekend (probably a lot of folks were at LDS Conference). We did a couple spins off Sugarloaf before working over to Supreme. We got caught redhanded on our first run:

GS_0230.jpg

GS_0231.jpg

GS_0233.jpg

GS_0234.jpg

GS_0236.jpg

GS_0237.jpg

GS_0238.jpg

skiNEwhere wanted to take another spin so we did this time going over to Evergreen, which was less than good IMHO. We skied around the trees and then dropped back onto the groomer and down to Alf's for a brief break.

We decided to head over to Yellow Trail to see if things had softened. They had not. The conditions were pretty much a thin layer of cottage cheese snow on top of frozen granular to be generous. We made the best of it, enjoyed the views, and headed back to Sugarloaf.

Considering that Alta was not softening too much, we headed back to Mineral Basin and did a spin down Chamonix Bowl that was almost just right and then down Mark Malu to Mid-Gad where I had to part ways because my wife was home sick and my daughter was not being so angelic.

skiNEwhere kept tabs with me during the afternoon. It looked like he found the goods on the High North of Peruvian and in other places. Ironically we had avoided Peruvian because it usually doesn't soften, but it turns out that it had stayed cold during the week and was delivering the goods for my new friend.

I really enjoyed skiing with skiNEwhere and hope to see him again soon. A nice guy and a great skier!

thetrailboss

Staff member
More pics.....

White Diamonds:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Nice views:

ry%3D480

Alta:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Off-trail:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Back to the 'Bird:

ry%3D480

One of my favorites....Chamonix Bowl

ry%3D480

Lift off!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Lupine Loop:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Little Cloud Basin:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

skiNEwhere parks with the locals....second car in (green Subaru) and I am the sixth (blue Honda backed in):

ry%3D480

skiNEwhere

I see you were able to get those alta action shots, cool pics! I got a couple of trailboss as well.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1428646747.842096.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1428646911.410418.jpg

After trailboss left I went exploring a little and was able to find 3-4 inches of wind blown snow in these chutes to skiers left of Peruvian

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1428646803.693372.jpg

Although the snow wasn't great and utah was having the worst snow year in 80 years (according to alta weather shack and locals) I still had a great time skiing with TB.

After I skied I drove down to Vegas for some classic family bonding time around the craps table, and that positive energy must've carried with me because I definitely came home a big time winner. Even if I didn't, still was a great trip :)

Last edited:

jimk

I really enjoyed skiing with skiNEwhere and hope to see him again soon. A nice guy and a great skier!

If anybody goes west and gets a chance to ski with SkiNEwhere you will enjoy it. He's a real nice young guy and patient with tourists. He was especially good about showing me advanced terrain at several different Colorado ski areas, places I would not have been totally comfortable exploring on my own. He likes to ski very challenging stuff, but will do a mix of blue square skiing with black diamond terrain (and beyond black diamond). We joked that his handicap for skiing with older guys is that he often shows up to ski on just an hour of sleep after working night shifts. :eek: