• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I have a gear buying problem

dlague

My wife and I got new gear last year and I find myself looking for gear still. My son has out grown his so I will live through buying his stuff, however, I can't help myself. Is that like an addition? Others experience the same situation?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Always researching and thinking about my next set a skis. I'd like to replace my Fischer motives for an all mountain ski I like better, but they only have 50ish days on them, so I can't justify replacing them yet.

I'd also like to get a cheater GS race ski for the many firm and fast days we get in NH.

Powder skis I'm good with for now.

I have issues too. I want the perfect 3 ski quiver. ;)

xwhaler

I'd like a better ski for straight hardpack days (something with rocker) and a ski for soft/spring bumps. My Surface Watch Lifes are really best suited for powder but I'm trying to force them to do everything.
They are stiff/heavy with no rocker at all...very flat ski.

Which sites do you guys like? I've seen some nice deals on Skiessentials.com recently.

gmcunni

i like window shopping for gear. pretty happy with my skis, not looking ot replace them and not even sure what type of ski i'd be looking for (not much of a quiver guy).

i do want new boots. did some shopping before the season but didn't find anything i like, will try again this off-season.

i have a weak spot for jackets. i'm really looking for a new shell, one with the right pocket count for the right price.

Warp Daddy

Just pulled the trigger on next yrs all mtn , have my Gs cheaters , NOW looking at boots .

And like others ,i AM a self professed Jacket Whore .:thumbup:

elks

I'm the opposite. I'll splurge on an article of clothing or a pair of skis and then can't bring myself to replace them for 10 years. I was just discussing my ski boots with my wife coming back from Jay Peak last week. As best as I can recall, I think I bought them in 2002/2003 (think they are due for a replacement?) My heals are badly worn. I tried to replace the heels last season and the manufacturer had stopped making replacement heels for that model. I guess that's a sure sign that you need to move on ... On my 6 seasons for my skis and easily 120 days on them.

By not being a window shopper, I get completely out of touch with new gear and that becomes a vicious circle. The less I keep up, the less motivated I am to replace my gear.

drjeff

Wasn't planning on new boots for another year or 2, that was until I walked into my local ski shop at Mount Snow last Saturday to just get some tuning supplies that I had run out of, and next thing I know, I'm walking out of the shop with not just some new Swix Fiberlene base cleaning wipes, but a new pair of Lange RS130 race boots too!

With my wife being pretty addicted to skiing and both my kids racing, for sure not all the gear we buy NEEDS to be bought!! ;-)

This right now is coming from the person who just finishing tuning and waxing all 12 pairs of skis that currently makes up my families ACTIVE ski quiver as we're waiting for it to warm up and soften up a touch more at Mount Snow this AM! :)

snoseek

I dread buying equipment

I destroy stuff at an extra fast rate. I'm on my second season with my current coat, got it for 50 percent off of 500 dollars and 1.5 years into its life duct tape holds it together and most of the zippers are broken. Got my pants in the fall new and already falling apart. Don't even get me started on skis. My brand new 600 dollar custom fit boots are already missing screws and buckles are warped.

Except for boots I'm tempted to just buy everything used at this point

prsboogie

i do want new boots. did some shopping before the season but didn't find anything i like, will try again this off-season.

I just got a pair of Salomon X-PRO 120s with custom moldable shells. It was about a two hour process between the custom foot beds and molding the shells but what a difference!! No more numb toes or pain in my fore-foot. And no more feeling like I'm sliding in my boot to eliminate the pain!!

As far as skis I think I've finally got that squared away now, Brahma's Vagabond's and CRJ's!! I know the CRJ's are probably unnecessary but I couldn't pass the deal I got for new skis and bindings!!.

BenedictGomez

I've been on the quest for the perfect northeast tree ski for a few years now. I buy stuff used and test it in the trees for a day or two and flip it, luckily always at a small profit so far.

I'd like to try the Soul 7's next, but it might be a few more seasons before they're cheap enough for an experimental used aquisition.

wa-loaf

My wife and I got new gear last year and I find myself looking for gear still. My son has out grown his so I will live through buying his stuff, however, I can't help myself. Is that like an addition? Others experience the same situation?

Everyday! To compound the problem the shop at Wachusett invites me every year to demo next years skis in the spring. This results in me lusting after stuff you can't get a discount on ... Boots are on the list for next year and I have my eye on some new race skis. I'd like to get a new set of skis in the 80-90mm range, happy with my Soul 7s for now, ripped a hole in my Jacket this winter, often can't resist deals on goggles, socks, gloves, etc...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh my wife would LOVE to comment here. I essentially have a sport shop.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

freeski

I'm a buy and hold ski purchaser. I only ski around 20 times a year so I get good quality skis and boots that never wear out.

skiNEwhere

I really want to get some hart F-17's, especially after winning about 4k in Vegas last week. I have some serious reservations about commiting to buy a skied I've never used though, as I can't find a single place in the state to demo them.

SkiFanE

Hate it. I wear my stuff till its crapped out and replace with easiest most sensible purchase. I never demo because it takes away from ski time. In general - I make my gear work for me whatever it is - so the slight variances of gear doesn't matter - I'll make it work by adjusting my stance/technique. When my feet hurt in my boots, means I'm not skiing correctly (using too much leg/foot) - so change things up and voila my feet are fine. Happened last spring ski day - legs burning, means needed to get butt and core working - no more leg burn. Gear really doesn't do much for me (within reason - my SL skis were killer in untracked heavy fresh today - could have used my midfats). I don't have enough time or bandwidth to deal, ultimately the reason.

Brad J

My wife is pressuring me to enter a 12 step program for my compulsion, I end up buying a new pair almost every year when the go 50% off. this years find Kastle Fx 84