• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I have a gear buying problem

Brad J

Well even if you pay full price once in awhile, you're still way ahead of all the self-professed gear whores here!!!

You talking about me!!!
Ya it's very true but I think skiing is a very expensive sport in both time commitment and money I want to enjoy every day the best I can without being on dead ski's and boots that are packed out and don't fit right. I focus on the gear I want to buy in a given year and then find the best price except boots where fit trumps price.

SkiFanE

You talking about me!!! Ya it's very true but I think skiing is a very expensive sport in both time commitment and money I want to enjoy every day the best I can without being on dead ski's and boots that are packed out and don't fit right. I focus on the gear I want to buy in a given year and then find the best price except boots where fit trumps price.
See, I must be clueless. I ski 50-60 days and until this winter I've been skiing hand offs and used skis for the last 5 years. One pair was my "bad"'pair because they were bent from going straight into a soft bump and launching me. But after my 2 other pairs had no more edge left to sharpen I used the "bad" pair all of last year. Yeah, one ski flapped a little in the flats , but honestly in the bumps where I spend 98% of my time they were fine. Now that I have new volkl SLs, I feel how much more stable they are on flats, but when I skied on crap - it didn't bug me. I'll have these volkls 4-5 seasons I hope. Boots I went 300+ days just bc I was too lazy to shop and deal with new boots. Keep cranking and adjusting. But even with my new boots I adjust and crank - I think women's feet can just swell up/down a lot and always tweaking. I grew up on younger end of big family - meaning I skied hand-me-down crap til I was a teen (my parents didn't ski, so they were clueless about gear). I think it's served me well haha - had to keep up with all my friends and old sibs no matter what crap I had - just learned to deal - other people got the nice stuff, but I still kicked their ass on the slopes :). I don't care if people judge my shitty shit!!! Hoping to get one more year out if my Mammut ski pants - they ripped at the crotch (and of course the cuffs) - but matching black duct tape fixed that and I have yet to see anyone look there to notice lmao

dlague

Also if you at Jay Peak anytime soon they had some very nice deals on skis at the mountain shop at Stateside. DPS wailer 105 hybrids for 500, 2015 volkl mantras for 419. As good a deal as online for those skis.

Yup got my boots there two years ago. They seem to price stuff to go around the end of season.

BenedictGomez

There are amazing deals on boots right now online, like 66% and 70% off, but I dont think I'd have the stones to buy boots online. That seems like it might be more SOTF* than SOTC.

Granted my last pair of boots I bought for $35 on EBAY, but at that price I couldn't care less as I knew I could just relist them and make money if they didnt work (they did).

*Skiing On The Foolish

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
See, I must be clueless. I ski 50-60 days and until this winter I've been skiing hand offs and used skis for the last 5 years. One pair was my "bad"'pair because they were bent from going straight into a soft bump and launching me. But after my 2 other pairs had no more edge left to sharpen I used the "bad" pair all of last year. Yeah, one ski flapped a little in the flats , but honestly in the bumps where I spend 98% of my time they were fine. Now that I have new volkl SLs, I feel how much more stable they are on flats, but when I skied on crap - it didn't bug me. I'll have these volkls 4-5 seasons I hope. Boots I went 300+ days just bc I was too lazy to shop and deal with new boots. Keep cranking and adjusting. But even with my new boots I adjust and crank - I think women's feet can just swell up/down a lot and always tweaking. I grew up on younger end of big family - meaning I skied hand-me-down crap til I was a teen (my parents didn't ski, so they were clueless about gear). I think it's served me well haha - had to keep up with all my friends and old sibs no matter what crap I had - just learned to deal - other people got the nice stuff, but I still kicked their ass on the slopes :). I don't care if people judge my shitty shit!!! Hoping to get one more year out if my Mammut ski pants - they ripped at the crotch (and of course the cuffs) - but matching black duct tape fixed that and I have yet to see anyone look there to notice lmao

1+
I get comfortable with a pair of skis and don't like the idea of taking a risk of buying something new , over the years I've had a few Ho hum purchases. My Boots and skis last longer for me as I don't get in the 30-60 days I used to.
Kid in College and one in a private school is a motivation also.
I think I can get one more season out of my old Rossi B2's 116 ,78,105,174 cm , I really love em but need some sugestions about replacing them in the future ...closest ski comparison ?, Bindings, Dukes are newer and want to move em ,brakes are wider and will fit , I imagine 78's not seen too much anymore?
The Boots I'm in are an Ebay purchase that did'nt work for my oldest but have fit me better than any boots I've been in the past 40 yrs. Literally walked miles without a blister. One more year for them too.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

thetrailboss

Staff member
A pair of 2012 Dynastar Legend Paradise skis from the Stowe demo center. Bought after my old pair of Atomics snapped in half on the third run of the first of three days I was at Stowe. I think did pretty good given my predicament. Some members here disagreed and geared me to shreds though :roll:.

Read the full fiasco here: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/136232-First-Time-at-Stowe-(I-broke-my-ski-in-half)

If you're happy that's all that matters. Most of us were not happy with Stowe Toys.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

I think did pretty good given my predicament. Some members here disagreed and geared me to shreds though. Read the full fiasco here: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/136232-First-Time-at-Stowe-(I-broke-my-ski-in-half)

Just read your lengthy post, and I cant fault you at all, other than the fact I perhaps would have been a bit suspect looking at the artwork. That said, you quickly made the best of a bad situation, and you got lightly used skis that you like, with bindings for $120, that's a great deal.

Regarding the whole, "women's skis" thing, I've actually considered (though I havent yet) demoing a light, advanced, 95mm-105mm, tip rockered pair of women's ski's in my quest to find the nirvana of eastern tree skis. I am a little surprised this happened at Stowe though, because back in the day, ("the day" being about 12 to 18 years ago) the demo folk at Stowe actually KNEW skis, they weren't your typical 19 year old pimply kids with 6 hours of training like you see at most mountains.

Really, the only two things I can rip you to shreds on are:
A) Comparing Stowe to Killington in any way, shape, manner, or form, however trivial.
B) Not knowing that "methinks" is a word.

mishka

I no longer have gear buying/search problem. Now when skis can be made to exec specifications and performance I want. aaahhhhh... So much free time lol.

dlague

I no longer have gear buying/search problem. Now when skis can be made to exec specifications and performance I want. aaahhhhh... So much free time lol.

My sons and I have considered it but never went for it!