• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camelback cancels racing

4aprice

Our son is one year removed from the program, but Camelback announced last week that it was terminating all racing programs effective next year. I'm pretty stunned by this move as the program from development - U21 was well attended and not cheap. The race team seemed an integral part of the resort. Know a bunch of families that are now in a bind. The hotel is changing everything.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

The hotel is changing everything.

Why would the hotel cause the racing team to be killed?

I was surprised when I read your title, but I assumed that just meant the racing team was either losing money or revenue neutral. I'll be interested to see how much more crowded that place gets on December - March weekends with that giant thing.

4aprice

Why would the hotel cause the racing team to be killed?

I was surprised when I read your title, but I assumed that just meant the racing team was either losing money or revenue neutral. I'll be interested to see how much more crowded that place gets on December - March weekends with that giant thing.

Don't mean to directly blame the hotel but the mind set up there has changed. I would say you may have up 40 families now looking for a new mountain, most of those 2nd home owners up there. The ski team is set up as a club (seems the way all mountains do it.) It's a real change of positions by the mountain as we put in new equipment (timing) and Infrastructure (Start and finish shacks) with in the last 2 years with the mountains approval and help. The programs were successful and expensive (Club and mountain dues + seasons pass's).

mbedle: Got the information thru e-mail of past and present team members, there is a facebook page for PASEF (the club name) where you can see their announcement FWIW.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

danimals

Another reason not to go...if camelback stating they are open on the phone and website only for me to arrive and find them closed, and not even offered an apology wasn't enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowsdower

Bear Creek did this a while back as well. The corporate, bottom line is all that matters mindset is beyond frustrating. It made a core group of local families happy, and kept them and their friends coming back. Apparently you're not their target demographic anymore. It's just sad.

drjeff

Mountains often seem to forget that the revenue from a race program is often far greater reaching than just what is logged into the ledgers from program fees :-(

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Another reason not to go...if camelback stating they are open on the phone and website only for me to arrive and find them closed, and not even offered an apology wasn't enough.

I checked site days ago and said closed for season .
Somebody on the phone told you they were open?
That stinks.

danimals

This was a year ago in mid February. They closed for rain yet it drizzled for thirty minutes on the ride up and was bluebird the rest of the day.

There was a full parking lot of confused customers. They deleted our comments from Facebook and never bothered to apologize or even offer a discount to return. They were also the only place in PA closed that day.

VTKilarney

Could it be that they received too many complaints about how the junior racers were skiing when not actually in a race?

4aprice

Could it be that they received too many complaints about how the junior racers were skiing when not actually in a race?

Never an issue as far as I knew. Gus the director kept them on short leash and they were well behaved. The issue most likely comes down to the fact that next year 453 new slope side rooms are coming on line and the mountain just doesn't want to give up the terrain for training. They've been advertising the crap out of this hotel in the NY market.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
This was a year ago in mid February. They closed for rain yet it drizzled for thirty minutes on the ride up and was bluebird the rest of the day.

There was a full parking lot of confused customers. They deleted our comments from Facebook and never bothered to apologize or even offer a discount to return. They were also the only place in PA closed that day.

Where did you end up?

danimals

Luckily I had one of those regional ski cards so I used it at Shawnee. Was a great day there.

4aprice

Here's another thing. They have a very successful Wednesday Night League and I don't know if they plan to discontinue that as well. As far as I know PASEF owns the all the course maintenance equipment, gates, netting, timing etc. They gave up Nastar about 3 years ago. I guess they just want to get out of the game completely. Blue, Elk and Frost are the teams left for NE PA.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

rtjcbrown

I was there on Sunday afternoon to do the Mountain Coaster with the kids (great ride BTW). I was amazed by how much snow they still had left on the mountain. Could have easily opened with most terrain covered.
Also, I will be shocked I they get that new hotel opened on time. So much work left to be done in less than 2 weeks, roof, windows, paving, etc...

BenedictGomez

They closed for rain yet it drizzled for thirty minutes on the ride up and was bluebird the rest of the day.

Wow, that's horrendous.

4aprice

I was there on Sunday afternoon to do the Mountain Coaster with the kids (great ride BTW). I was amazed by how much snow they still had left on the mountain. Could have easily opened with most terrain covered.
Also, I will be shocked I they get that new hotel opened on time. So much work left to be done in less than 2 weeks, roof, windows, paving, etc...

Sounds like they could have been open if they wanted. They just didn't want to spin the lifts. Tubing was open I know for a fact. IMO every thing's about the hotel now. A few years ago they blew a couple of huge mounds to move around the spots that melt faster and there has always been talk of keeping the east side open late. I bet if the hotel had been ready April 1st they would have blown big time and had her open thru the 12th.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

gorgonzola

I think once blue closed and cb was open for a week or two they figured they had bragging rights and hung it up. They stopped doing the alien card thing this year so I didn;t make it up there this year

mbedle

Looking at the weather for last February, it does appear that they had one day (the 21st) with a high of 46 degrees and a quarter inch of rain, followed by 2 days at 47 and 45 degrees. Given that, I would guess that was the day they were closed. Skiing at 46 degrees and rain really destroys the snow base.