To wax or not to wax...

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Question To wax or not to wax...

Quick question(s), I recently had a mid-season tune on my new ski's, the bottoms are jet black, and I noticed bands of white under the binding area by the edges. I was told that was wear down from skiing.(I used to x-country ski alot, and did my own waxing, I found it to make the skiing alot more personal and enjoyable.) So, when I got them back the area under the bindings were still white around the edges, but the skis were definitely better, sharper edges, new wax, etc.
    Question 1:
    Is the white area normal and will it always stay that way?

Question 2:
    Should I wax my skis per the weather, different wax for different temps and conditions. I don't mind the waxing, especially if it will improve the performance of my skis. I'll leave the edging and base touch-up to the pros.

Thanks

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    - Mark Twain 1906

the white is the wax wearing off...its cool to see that on adult skis who know how to edge, the wear is under the bindings, on my 4yr olds skis they are on the tips and tails from snowplowing!!! How long have you been with out a tune?? I use a universal wax guy I cant do my waxing the day of to mix the proper temp wax....I've never had an issue with my TOKO Universal...
    updownupdownupdownupdown

I went about 5 times before I had them tuned, the edges had plenty of burrs, and it was still the factory tune. There's a cool little mom & pop ski shop about 5 mins from my house and I took them there.
    I've gone out 2 times since the tune, and was just curious if I'm just being anal retentive or I should think about waxing them if there's a change in temp or snow quality, etc.
    The edges are in great shape, but there was plenty of hardpack and ice the last 2 times.
    Oh yea, and I did wax my old K2's along time ago, I used a regular old iron without the steam holes and it did a fine job, I can't see spending 150 bux on an iron.
    Thanks again.
    Also, if anyone could point me to a place to buy the alpine wax online it'd be much appreciated.
    - Mark Twain 1906

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I went about 5 times before I had them tuned, the edges had plenty of burrs, and it was still the factory tune. There's a cool little mom & pop ski shop about 5 mins from my house and I took them there.
    I've gone out 2 times since the tune, and was just curious if I'm just being anal retentive or I should think about waxing them if there's a change in temp or snow quality, etc.
    The edges are in great shape, but there was plenty of hardpack and ice the last 2 times.
    Oh yea, and I did wax my old K2's along time ago, I used a regular old iron without the steam holes and it did a fine job, I can't see spending 150 bux on an iron.
    Thanks again.
    Also, if anyone could point me to a place to buy the alpine wax online it'd be much appreciated.
    Unless you're racing, or an advanced skiier concerned with shaving another 1/100th of a second off of your time, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the temp of your wax. I like Quattro's advise with the universal. I'm a solid intermediate, and I wax (or try to) after each outing. I try to get as close to the temp of what I expect conditions to be for the next time, but stuff happens. If I wax with a below 22F wax, and the temp ends-up being 38F, oh well. I'm not good or fast enough for that to make an appreciable difference.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

I have a great ski iron ($30) from Tognar....you can deburr yourself inbetween tunes (deburring should be done after everyday on the slopes) and takes about :30sec per edge....if you have the ability to wax/scrape/brush the morning of and get the correct mix for that days conditions then thats the best (You will need a ski iron for that-dont skimp) if not, then a good univ wax will be just fine....

www.tognar.com
    updownupdownupdownupdown

Cool, thanks. I guess I was just asking if I should re-wax between outings. And if I could shave off that 1/100th of a second when I go down Great Northern at Killington
    - Mark Twain 1906

like Paul said, unless you are racing you wont be able to tell a difference......
    updownupdownupdownupdown

Universal wax, diamond stone, cheap iron.

Honestly, it depends on the skiing you do. Racers want to be concerned, cruisers... maybe? It's convenient to have on flats I guess. It offers so level of protection against base dings, but I mean... it probably won't do much to protect against the gouges you'd be worried about anyway. No matter how much wax you put on I don't think it can actually increase the hardness properties of the polyethylene.

And if you do the kind of skiing I've been doing a lot of lately, well. Rocks, trees, loose snow, soft bumps... not the conditions you need perfect or even really well tuned skis. I've beat the piss out of my Aztecs this year and they still ski the same in the stuff I really enjoy skiing now.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

All true, also, wax moisturizes your bases, so even if its not outright protecting them, it helps preserve them for the long run.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

You should be waxing to take care of your skis more than to improve performance.

Thread Information