• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

To wax or not to wax...

Sheik Yerbouti

Quick question(s), I recently had a mid-season tune on my new ski's, the bottoms are jet black, and I noticed bands of white under the binding area by the edges. I was told that was wear down from skiing.(I used to x-country ski alot, and did my own waxing, I found it to make the skiing alot more personal and enjoyable.) So, when I got them back the area under the bindings were still white around the edges, but the skis were definitely better, sharper edges, new wax, etc.
Question 1:
Is the white area normal and will it always stay that way?

Question 2:
Should I wax my skis per the weather, different wax for different temps and conditions. I don't mind the waxing, especially if it will improve the performance of my skis. I'll leave the edging and base touch-up to the pros.

Thanks

SKIQUATTRO

the white is the wax wearing off...its cool to see that on adult skis who know how to edge, the wear is under the bindings, on my 4yr olds skis they are on the tips and tails from snowplowing!!! How long have you been with out a tune?? I use a universal wax guy I cant do my waxing the day of to mix the proper temp wax....I've never had an issue with my TOKO Universal...

Sheik Yerbouti

I went about 5 times before I had them tuned, the edges had plenty of burrs, and it was still the factory tune. There's a cool little mom & pop ski shop about 5 mins from my house and I took them there.
I've gone out 2 times since the tune, and was just curious if I'm just being anal retentive or I should think about waxing them if there's a change in temp or snow quality, etc.
The edges are in great shape, but there was plenty of hardpack and ice the last 2 times.
Oh yea, and I did wax my old K2's along time ago, I used a regular old iron without the steam holes and it did a fine job, I can't see spending 150 bux on an iron.
Thanks again.
Also, if anyone could point me to a place to buy the alpine wax online it'd be much appreciated.

Paul

I went about 5 times before I had them tuned, the edges had plenty of burrs, and it was still the factory tune. There's a cool little mom & pop ski shop about 5 mins from my house and I took them there.
I've gone out 2 times since the tune, and was just curious if I'm just being anal retentive or I should think about waxing them if there's a change in temp or snow quality, etc.
The edges are in great shape, but there was plenty of hardpack and ice the last 2 times.
Oh yea, and I did wax my old K2's along time ago, I used a regular old iron without the steam holes and it did a fine job, I can't see spending 150 bux on an iron.
Thanks again.
Also, if anyone could point me to a place to buy the alpine wax online it'd be much appreciated.

Unless you're racing, or an advanced skiier concerned with shaving another 1/100th of a second off of your time, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the temp of your wax. I like Quattro's advise with the universal. I'm a solid intermediate, and I wax (or try to) after each outing. I try to get as close to the temp of what I expect conditions to be for the next time, but stuff happens. If I wax with a below 22F wax, and the temp ends-up being 38F, oh well. I'm not good or fast enough for that to make an appreciable difference.

SKIQUATTRO

I have a great ski iron ($30) from Tognar....you can deburr yourself inbetween tunes (deburring should be done after everyday on the slopes) and takes about :30sec per edge....if you have the ability to wax/scrape/brush the morning of and get the correct mix for that days conditions then thats the best (You will need a ski iron for that-dont skimp) if not, then a good univ wax will be just fine....

www.tognar.com

Sheik Yerbouti

Cool, thanks. I guess I was just asking if I should re-wax between outings. And if I could shave off that 1/100th of a second when I go down Great Northern at Killington ;-)

SKIQUATTRO

like Paul said, unless you are racing you wont be able to tell a difference......

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Universal wax, diamond stone, cheap iron.

Honestly, it depends on the skiing you do. Racers want to be concerned, cruisers... maybe? It's convenient to have on flats I guess. It offers so level of protection against base dings, but I mean... it probably won't do much to protect against the gouges you'd be worried about anyway. No matter how much wax you put on I don't think it can actually increase the hardness properties of the polyethylene.

And if you do the kind of skiing I've been doing a lot of lately, well. Rocks, trees, loose snow, soft bumps... not the conditions you need perfect or even really well tuned skis. I've beat the piss out of my Aztecs this year and they still ski the same in the stuff I really enjoy skiing now.

Paul

All true, also, wax moisturizes your bases, so even if its not outright protecting them, it helps preserve them for the long run.

SKIQUATTRO

at the end of the year I actually leave the hot wax on the bases and edges for the summer...helps protect the bases and edges from oxidation and drying out

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Waxing and tuning is overrated. As stated above, unless of course you're racing. I used to hand tune and wax everything. Now, just need to keep a decently sharp edge in icy conditions. Otherwise, its all about the skier..not even the skis, let alone a tune!

edit: I've also never had a pair of skis where the bases died out before the ski became a noodle or did some major damage ie. base shots or blown out edges.

bigbog

...a good idea to wax every/other skiday

As Marc mentioned, there's plenty of stuff to do some scraping every day in New England. When you get the white-ish scrape-off...it's not a bad time to brush off excess, check the bases and re-wax.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Waxing and tuning is overrated. As stated above, unless of course you're racing. I used to hand tune and wax everything. Now, just need to keep a decently sharp edge in icy conditions. Otherwise, its all about the skier..not even the skis, let alone a tune!

edit: I've also never had a pair of skis where the bases died out before the ski became a noodle or did some major damage ie. base shots or blown out edges.

Very pertinent point. Don't underestimate the durability of UHMWPE. It's a fricken tough material and used as a base for a reason. Waxing is good so you can beat your friends on flats and make fun of them... but it won't make the difference in years on the life of your skis.

eastcoastskiier

I wax evry time i go out.. if you have been skiing on unwaxed bases for while you will also get that whitest tint, that is the sign of your bases drying out. and it mean your in need or some moisture... find that when changing the wax that i use i can make it last a little bit longer.. using a really hard wax tends to stay on alot longer, but you dont get all the results, where as a softer was seems to work better, but gets pulled off a little quicker..
quick rule of thumb.. the easier it is to put on, the easier it comes off... if your real short on time a quick lttle rub on is fine, but dont expect it to last 15+runs

answer-- WAX

SkiDog

I agree....sharp edges are far more important that wax.....if they slide...and can edge..im good....I only take mine in for tunes a couple times a year.

M

Sheik Yerbouti

Wow, gotta say I'm impressed with the amount of answers, but definitely confused by them. It looks like 50% say to wax, 50% say not to. If it won't hurt the skis, I'll wax em.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

SKIQUATTRO

yes, wax.....it helps in all aspects of your ski, like putting oil in your car....put it this way, it cannont hurt to have wax on your skis....you paid alot of money for your skis, take care of em....

Beetlenut

The only time I NEED to really wax is in the spring time. A good warmer temp wax will have you skimming acorss the spring slush, instead of getting bogged-down in it. By the end of the day, the energy you save by not getting caught up in the slopp all day, will pay-off! :smile: