• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Streaming Media

bvibert

Staff member
You guys have some small data plans.

Streaming Pandora all day at work (not on wifi) and I use about a gig a month.

Its about the only data I use outside of maybe 100mb for email over the course of a month, but even still, much below the average data allotment for almost all the major plans.

I also prefer Pandora to the other options. Tidal just seems expensive and based on unicorn farts and rainbows. Spotify seems to crash a lot for me. Rdio is supposed to be cool but I haven't tried it.
I typically use at least 3gig a month myself. According to the Verizon usage breakdown steaming music only makes up a small part of that.

SkiFanE

??? I didn't make a calculation. I posted a link to an article and a quote from that article. The quote includes a calculation based on 320kbps streaming. They also mention that Pandora streams at a lower quality than that (less data use). Does your math say different?

Sorry, not YOUR calculation, just noticed it was in quotes. The OP said he listens to Pandora streaming at work - so that would be 64kbps, not 320...so didn't seem like he'd use the 1gig/day like the article says.

Cannonball

Sorry, not YOUR calculation, just noticed it was in quotes. The OP said he listens to Pandora streaming at work - so that would be 64kbps, not 320...so didn't seem like he'd use the 1gig/day like the article says.

Yes. The article says 1gig/day if using services that run at 320. They point out that Pandora runs at only 64. So probably ~1 gig in 5 days for Pandora?

Glenn

Pandora subscription. We listen to a lot of music. I pretty much turn it on when we get home and it plays until bed. For now, we're using a wifi radio. Looking into a Sonos. We'll use Pandora in the car as well back and forth to VT. Commercials get old. Since cutting cable and streaming, my tolerance for commercials is limited.