• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Streaming Media

gmcunni

Tidal vs. SPotify vs. Pandora

i feel old but i don't use any of them. Satellite radio when in the wife's car is good enough for me. in my car i usually put on news radio, occasionally i'll put the iphone on shuffle.

news segment this morning was that "streaming is changing the way we listen to music because that is where the kids are"

Savemeasammy

I don't want to listen to commercials or dj's talking about what they had for breakfast, so I listen to pandora when I can. I use the free version, and the small number of commercials is tolerable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bvibert

Staff member
I use Pandora, because that's what I know. I'm not hip enough to try any of the newer options. ;)

Savemeasammy

I use Pandora, because that's what I know. I'm not hip enough to try any of the newer options. ;)

I've tried spotify and iheartradio. Pandora seems to have the best music mixing for my taste.

If there is some sort of requisite level of cool necessary for the other options, you can chalk me up as a fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bvibert

Staff member
All of these eat data though!!!

Yup, I'm paying for data, so I'm going to use it!

My commute is short, ~20 minutes, so it's not really much of a problem. I typically use more data uploading pictures and junk to social network sites, than I do on music.

wa-loaf

Try Songza sometime. It's kind of activity and mood based. They have an app too.

xwhaler

I use Pandora free version but only at home when I can connect to wi-fi.
I don't use it in the car because my primary commuter car doesn't have an aux input or Bluetooth. Plus my commute is too long and would eat data.

Cannonball

Increasingly going to YouTube for music at home (on WiFi). Tons of full concerts and ability to make playlists.

In the car I rely on music podcasts. Download them automatically overnight on WiFi so their ready to go when driving. I switch it up a lot, but for music podcasts I've lately been downloading: Dublab, KEXP song of the day, Tiny Desk, All Songs Considered, Coverville, and Latin Roll.

Edd

We use the paid version of Pandora and Songza for streaming. Also use Rhapsody for more on demand listening and building playlists.

ctenidae

Music in the car on my commute is largely driven by a three year old. Fortunately, he's got good taste, if a bit repetitive. For a while it was Beethoven's 5th, now Beethoven's Third, both burned on the hard drive in my car (kind of an odd, but cool, accessory, that). In between it was Wagner and Tchaikovsky, via Bluetooth off my phone. Don't use Pandora when driving because I drive through pretty spotty reception, and don't want to fiddle around with it while driving. My drive home is pretty quick (15 minutes vs 45-60 for the morning school run), so I usually don't pay much attention and whatever was on at dropoff continues.

I do use Pandora through an old laptop in the workshop, though, and will put Youtube concerts on the TV when the kids want to watch.

Never used Spotify, or Amazon, or any others, to be honest, and don't have iTunes. Ain't broke, don't fix it...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Increasingly going to YouTube for music at home (on WiFi). Tons of full concerts and ability to make playlists.

Very much this and use Chromecast to play it through the home theater system.

I probably have around 150 concert DVDs. Probably no surprise, but for example, every single Grateful Dead show that's ever been released.

Since buying Chromecast awhile back, I haven't purchased a single New concert DVD. They're all on YouTube now for free.

AdironRider

You guys have some small data plans.

Streaming Pandora all day at work (not on wifi) and I use about a gig a month.

Its about the only data I use outside of maybe 100mb for email over the course of a month, but even still, much below the average data allotment for almost all the major plans.

I also prefer Pandora to the other options. Tidal just seems expensive and based on unicorn farts and rainbows. Spotify seems to crash a lot for me. Rdio is supposed to be cool but I haven't tried it.

Cannonball

You guys have some small data plans.

Streaming Pandora all day at work (not on wifi) and I use about a gig a month.

Its about the only data I use outside of maybe 100mb for email over the course of a month, but even still, much below the average data allotment for almost all the major plans.

I also prefer Pandora to the other options. Tidal just seems expensive and based on unicorn farts and rainbows. Spotify seems to crash a lot for me. Rdio is supposed to be cool but I haven't tried it.

This article has a good breakdown of streaming services and their data consumption.
http://gizmodo.com/how-much-data-does-your-streaming-music-app-eat-up-1649466894

Part of that is:
"Pandora is the only big mainstream service we could find that doesn't offer 320kbps streams. In fact, on mobile it maxes out at 64kbps.*Lower quality streams obviously use way less data.

So what does that mean in terms of your data plan? 320kbps rate translates to 2.40 MB per minute of audio or 115.2 MB per hour. So if you were to stream music for an entire eight hour work day, you'd burn through nearly 1 GB."

SkiFanE

Out of laziness I use Apple radio - not much space on my phone for apps til I clear out photos. Can get Get repetitive but I like the top 50 pop and alternative stations. Bluetooth in car, and between 4 of us we rarely go over 10gb/mo plan (last month instagram update on kids phone ate up 3 gigs overage on last 2 days of months (grrr).

At work (bc guest wifi on phone sucks) I stream my fave radio station 92.5 on work PC or Apple radio on phone. Did have iheart radio on last phone, didn't load back on new phone.

On way to work I like the cheesy radio skit "second date update" on 96.9. Has become a habit (on the 10s) - funny shit - thank god I'm not single.

Will probably get get pandora once I free up space.

SkiFanE

This article has a good breakdown of streaming services and their data consumption.
http://gizmodo.com/how-much-data-does-your-streaming-music-app-eat-up-1649466894

Part of that is:
"Pandora is the only big mainstream service we could find that doesn't offer 320kbps streams. In fact, on mobile it maxes out at 64kbps.*Lower quality streams obviously use way less data.

So what does that mean in terms of your data plan? 320kbps rate translates to 2.40 MB per minute of audio or 115.2 MB per hour. So if you were to stream music for an entire eight hour work day, you'd burn through nearly 1 GB."

wait, article says 64kbps max of Pandora- so your calculation is wrong. And at work when I stream music it's not for 8 hours. So it seems possible to be.

Cannonball

wait, article says 64kbps max of Pandora- so your calculation is wrong. And at work when I stream music it's not for 8 hours. So it seems possible to be.

??? I didn't make a calculation. I posted a link to an article and a quote from that article. The quote includes a calculation based on 320kbps streaming. They also mention that Pandora streams at a lower quality than that (less data use). Does your math say different?