• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NEW product to help you stay stable when strapping-in while standing

AC0808

Hey, I'm a senior Industrial Design student in Boston, MA

For my thesis I decided to focus on solving the common problem of staying balanced and sliding down the hill when you are trying to strap-in while standing.

I can't be the only one that always ends up sliding down the slope when I'm still trying to strap-in! It's even worse for me since I use Flow bindings. So I am basically going to design a product that a rider could buy and use to stop this from happening. Snowboard binding innovation has been great recently but no one has addressed this problem. Just because I can slide my foot into Flows quickly, doesn't mean I can always prevent myself from sliding while doing it.

It would really help legitimize my thesis proposal if I got a bunch of responses on the SURVEY BELOW. The 8 question survey should only take a minute to complete. I look forward to seeing your feedback. Thank you.

LINK --> https://qtrial2014.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_77gx3XgwERl19Dn

Cannonball

It's not a terrible idea. I don't have any trouble standing still to strap in, but I do usually kick in a little flat spot. In some conditions that can be more challenging. But after watching many people struggle with this over the years I think the best invention would something that helps people lose their BEER GUT! That seems to be the biggest obstacle to easy strap-in.

AC0808

Haha true. I agree it's not always a problem, but definitely annoying. On those icy days where the snow is hard you can't always do the kick method. So much forward momentum is created by kicking your foot into Flows it's kind of hard to avoid sliding. This could probably help beginners more than advanced riders.

Puck it

It's not a terrible idea. I don't have any trouble standing still to strap in, but I do usually kick in a little flat spot. In some conditions that can be more challenging. But after watching many people struggle with this over the years I think the best invention would something that helps people lose their BEER GUT! That seems to be the biggest obstacle to easy strap-in.
Stop making fun of me!

AdironRider

This is not a common problem for anyone who actually knows how to snowboard. This is a problem your first year of snowboarding only. Even then, I don't think the vast majority of beginner snowboarders even notice.

Cannonball

This is not a common problem for anyone who actually knows how to snowboard. This is a problem your first year of snowboarding only. Even then, I don't think the vast majority of beginner snowboarders even notice.

Disagree. I stand to strap in. But I'd estimate that >80% of the riders I see are sitting down. Maybe they just don't care. And maybe where you are in WY wet butts aren't a concern. But I have to imagine that most North East riders would prefer not to have a wet ass and are only sitting because they don't know a better way. I have no idea if this guy's invention is a solution (since I don't know what it is) but I'd be interested in seeing it. I'll also be more than happy to rag on it if it's like most "must have" boarding/skiing gadgets.

dlague

My son prior to this year was a snowboarder and I got him KY bindings that locked his foot in by flipping a lever on the back of the binding. He would start going downhill and lock his foot in at the same time. Was great for us skiing with him - no wait time. He was actually a pretty good snowboarder. I have never seen these as adult bindings. Concept seemed good but never took off.

AdironRider

I think you are describing step in bindings, and they were terrible. Think rear entry ski boots of the snowboard world.

I sit down on the snow pretty much every run to strap in. My ass doesn't get wet, that's why you wear snowpants.

CoolMike

I am perfectly capable of standing up to strap in but I prefer to sit down. This way I perfectly position my foot and scrape off snow stuck between my boot and the binding. My ass is never wet....snow pants are water proof on the behind.

Also, I strap in much quicker than most people. Usually I am ready to go before the skiers in my group have their poles ready.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
If I'm in an area where it's going to be a pain in the ass to get strapped in standing then I'll just sit down to do it. It doesn't take that much longer to do compared to standing. I can't imagine using some type of gadget to help me strap in but good luck with your product.

Domeskier

I'm not much of a snowboarder, but anything that keeps people from sprawling around on the ground in the unloading zone has my support. It's like picking your way through the un-racked skis outside a lodge at lunch time. :wink:

MadMadWorld

I'm not much of a snowboarder, but anything that keeps people from sprawling around on the ground in the unloading zone has my support. It's like picking your way through the un-racked skis outside a lodge at lunch time. :wink:

You are the man at stirring up anger

dlague

I think you are describing step in bindings, and they were terrible. Think rear entry ski boots of the snowboard world.

I sit down on the snow pretty much every run to strap in. My ass doesn't get wet, that's why you wear snowpants.

Actually it is a rear entry binding. My son was off the lift and ready to go quickly - did not even have to stop off the lift. I just realized that are plenty of bindings like that still available.

rear entry.png

AdironRider

Actually it is a rear entry binding. My son was off the lift and ready to go quickly - did not even have to stop off the lift. I just realized that are plenty of bindings like that still available.

attachment.php

Flows. already covered in the thread.

Park guys LOVE them. Typically a bit softer to a regular strap in binding in a very general sense.

dlague

Oh you mean like this?

From Cannon - friggin' rediculous - mostly ski racing to boot

skis2.jpg