• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

HELP - Urgent gear advice needed!

The Sneak

I'm a level 8 skier. I bought used Volkl 5 stars in 168cm online and they were broken on arrival. (rail system broken). Returned and got my $$$ back. Now, I just demo'd Fischer RX8's in 165cm and liked them a lot...even though they were a bit high-effort. However, I have 03 Head World Cup boots that are way too stiff and this might have exacerbated things. I'm 5' 8" 155 lbs. I ski mostly groomed blues and blacks and like both S and GS turns.

The $1,000,000 question I have:
Are Fischer RX6's in 165cm too soft and too short for me? I ask only bc I can get a pair of new 06/07 RX6's for $200 with bindings. The RX6's seem to get good reviews but the shop I talked to was adamant that they were 'a wimpy intermediate ski'.

I'm not poor - just frugal. I can't seem to find a deal on either 168 cm 5 stars or 165 cm RX8s. These RX6s are very tempting...what say you?

JimG.

Staff member
I'm a level 8 skier. I bought used Volkl 5 stars in 168cm online and they were broken on arrival. (rail system broken). Returned and got my $$$ back. Now, I just demo'd Fischer RX8's in 165cm and liked them a lot...even though they were a bit high-effort. However, I have 03 Head World Cup boots that are way too stiff and this might have exacerbated things. I'm 5' 8" 155 lbs. I ski mostly groomed blues and blacks and like both S and GS turns.

The $1,000,000 question I have:
Are Fischer RX6's in 165cm too soft and too short for me? I ask only bc I can get a pair of new 06/07 RX6's for $200 with bindings. The RX6's seem to get good reviews but the shop I talked to was adamant that they were 'a wimpy intermediate ski'.

I'm not poor - just frugal. I can't seem to find a deal on either 168 cm 5 stars or 165 cm RX8s. These RX6s are very tempting...what say you?

I love my new RX8's...I'm 6'2" and about 190lbs and I'm on the 170cm length. Great edge grip, very snappy and lively, great at short to medium radius turns. Perfect for a guy my age (49) in bumps where I need a little turn shape and carve to keep my body intact on icy, hard bumps. So quick I can still stay in the zipper even with the added turn roundness. Bombproof on ice. Great ski!

I agree with the high effort comment...the RX8 will not ski well if you are not centered and the sweet spot is small. But it will force you to be a better skier and your efforts will be greatly rewarded.

I didn't demo the RX6, but my guess is that you will really pay the price in crud and powder with those because they are basically the RX8 without the titanium sheet in them. I was shocked at how stable the RX8 is in crud and mank...blasts right through. I'm not sure I would feel that way with the RX6.

You are correct that you will not find deals on the RX8's in any length...too popular. You'll be lucky to find a pair for sale.

Hope that helps.

jack97

A good deal is relative, ebay has them for around 50% off msrp. If it was me, I wouldn't go for a ski one level lower knowing how the 5 star and rx8 feels, I would be kicking myself every time out on the hill.

Birdman829

The RX6 is not enough ski for a level 8 skier. Pay the extra dough for the RX8s. You won't regret it. I myself am on 165 cm RX9s. Same ability level ski, just a different turn shape.

Sky

RX6 for a level 8 skier....I think you'd be disappointed shortly after the purchase. My 2 cents.

I know instructors who opt for these skis becasue they are demonstrating turn shape at instructional speed...not looking for a ski to rip.

I feel your pain. You hate to pass on a deal. 1/2 stepping has never worked out for me. Here's another old saying...you get what you pay for.

Good luck and post your answer.

hrstrat57

sneak,

rx 8 165 for you tho 170 would work too...

I have 170's and 175's...I am 185 lbs have also ski'd a buds 165's extensively....

You can read my more detailed thoughts re all 3 lengths in this epic thread

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=36234&referrerid=8500

pm me with any questions......depending on your boot sole length might be able to get you hooked up at wa sometime to demo the skis discussed in the thread.

Tho I am certain the 165 at your wt will rock your world.

If you find RX 6 cheap enuff that likely will work too, I hear it is a very good ski...haven't been on it personally. Buy the RX 8 and don't look back, dawgcatching on epic ski can cut you a good deal right now I would guess.

Tough luck on the 5 star, but RX 8 is a way better ski.....no comparison. Zero.

BTW I bought my RX 8 175's on ebay for $160, they absolutely ski like new.....so if you are patient, deals can be had.

The Sneak

Yep
For the 2nd time in 2 weeks, I demo'd 165cm RX8's yesterday @ wa wa. These skis continue to amaze me. I'm nowhere near as good a skier as I was 9 or so years ago when I was in college and skiing @ the loaf every day, but these Fischers make me feel *great*.

I think its a done deal. Just have to track down a pair and then ditch these stupid World Cup boots for something like Speedmachine 10s....

Paul-
If we do get this big storm wednesday, I am planning on hiking and skiing pine top, diamond hill, sweatt hill, sunrise hill etc, just to say I did it. Any interest in participating on any of these exercises in stupidity?

ajl50

what the hell is this magic rating system- "level 8"
Please somebody clue me in?
Am I missing something...?

hrstrat57

what the hell is this magic rating system- "level 8"
Please somebody clue me in?
Am I missing something...?

PSIA lingo, pretty meaningless actually.

It means you ski really pretty and nice with good technique on easy stuff like all of wachusett and not quite so good on not so easy stuff like say castlerock....

which means with my current lack of miles on steep and or deep stuff like castlerock I'm a level 8 too at the moment....:smash:

ajl50

Anyway...thanks for the clarificaiton
Don't go with the 5 stars unless you really need edge hold. They have tons of it and if you don't watch out you will be on your butt.

The Sneak

Update:
Scored a pair of 165cm Fischer RX8's for $200...barely used!
Can't wait to use them on wednesday.

Thanks for all your advice.