• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go in New England on 4/18?

nkLottery

Alright I figure no more secrets are to be kept, what ski area is looking to have the best conditions come Saturday 4/18? Sugarloaf looks promising based on what I've read. Seems like they have quite a bit open. Also looking at perhaps Stowe, Okemo, Killington, Wildcat...any opinions? Any first hand accounts of recent conditions? Got to get my fix for day 33 on mountain

dlague

I think it is your pick of the litter - all the places you mentioned should have good spring snow. It is hard to tell right now what each of them will have open since some are closed midweek and it is still warm so for us it is a first thing in the early AM snow report check on Saturday and then head out. I am sure some dirt/grass/rock spots will be there but that is part of spring skiing.

BTW, it also depends what you are looking for - Bumps then probably k town, spring cruising Okemo/Stowe. We plan on being at Okemo/Mount Snow on the 18th and Cannon on the 19th - oh and BW on the 20th.

skiMEbike

As Dlague states...Take your pick. I have first hand intell from this past weekend at Saddleback....As well as skiing at the Loaf on Sunday & Monday of this week. Both Mountains are in prime shape, and I fully expect both places to be near 100% with lots of corn & most glades in play. I did not get to experience too much of Saddleback due to wind issues, but take a look at Salsgang trip report from Sunday to get some stoke. As for the Loaf, all Frontside extensions and backside snowfields are in play with PLENTY of coverage.

Since you mention Sugarloaf, I would seriously consider Saddleback also (really same distance as Sugarloaf from points south)...Saddleback is shut down right now, but opening up for their last weekend of lift service for only $39...I believe the Loaf prices are $59....If I am paying window price & picking between both places, I would go with Saddleback....Regardless Enjoy your time on the hill!

Cannonball

For me: wildcat Sunday to use up some passes. Cannon Sunday to close it out for the season.

But that's my personal constraints based on life/crap. Otherwise I'd say hit some places that are closing out this weekend. Save wildcat and others till next weekend or May. Save Killington till June

dlague

I'll be at Okemo one day this weekend. Other day is devoted to yard work... Yay!

Ahhhhh - Yardwork one of the other reasons spring skiing has lower attendance. Saving yard work for mid May or after work. Sure my grass will not be as green as my neighbors but I am also not mowing as much as they are for the first month.

dlague

For me: wildcat Sunday to use up some passes. Cannon Sunday to close it out for the season.

But that's my personal constraints based on life/crap. Otherwise I'd say hit some places that are closing out this weekend. Save wildcat and others till next weekend or May. Save Killington till June

Two places at one on Sunday? Nice!

catsup948

Ahhhhh - Yardwork one of the other reasons spring skiing has lower attendance. Saving yard work for mid May or after work. Sure my grass will not be as green as my neighbors but I am also not mowing as much as they are for the first month.

I'm with you. My wife is not. She loves skiing from December to March. Now she wants the yard picked up so the neighbors don't talk about us... I would rather be skiing. 😭

Puck it

I'm with you. My wife is not. She loves skiing from December to March. Now she wants the yard picked up so the neighbors don't talk about us... I would rather be skiing. 
I hire elves to do it. Go to wok and come home. t is done.

nkLottery

Well, Killington it was. Got some great, warm...no, hot skiing in right through til some rain came in at 2pm. Outer Limits, Superstar, East Fall all highlights, tons of terrain open but much that should not have been open. Not sure what happened after 2pm as I packed it in and headed home. Demoed a pair of HG Stinger skis for the hell of it because their tent was quiet. Unfortunately as park skis with symmetrical mounting, they didnt take very well to the variable slushy bumps on Superstar compared to my Aftershocks so I returned them after a run.

Assuming that K remains open, I'll be back next weekend.

bdfreetuna

Killington was great on Saturday! Day ended a little early due to rain but still got plenty of runs in. Catwalk and Vertigo were fun. Stuff over by Needles Eye skied great.

Trails are gonna be dropping off quick but they'll still have plenty open next weekend.

Domeskier

Killington was great on Saturday! Day ended a little early due to rain but still got plenty of runs in.

I thought that rain was a godsend - it was downright hot there on Saturday. Would have been cool to meet up for a run or two but the mank and slush on the tails that weren't sufficiently bumped up was killing me and I doubt I could have kept up with you (as Savemeasammy and SkiFane could attest - great skiing with you guys on Sunday!).