• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whats up with Wildcat?

yeggous

It does not suck today. I am very pleased. The grooming team did a commendable job last night. Lynx has a few sketchy spots, but is largely good. I am more optimistic about next weekend after seeing today.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Very good. I'll be there tomorrow. I hope they make one more weekend, but I'm heading up just in case this is it.

Cannonball

Very good. I'll be there tomorrow. I hope they make one more weekend, but I'm heading up just in case this is it.

Nice! Catch you there tomorrow. I'm heading up with fcksummer. should be there 9ish. Started my season with you at Wildcat in November. And could be closing it out tomorrow. Would like to get some more in, but since I'm travelling the first 2 weeks of May that might not be realistic.

yeggous

This morning was superb. By this afternoon the upper mountain secondary surface had started to firm up a bit, but it was still very skiable. The primary surface was great. It should groom up really nice for tomorrow if you bring a good tune for fast and firm early followed by spring later.

Brad J

I second everything Yeggous said thought Catapult side was better, lower catapult, bobcat, cheater, alley cat was really good.

yeggous

They've decided to go for it Friday - Sunday, even if it means just running the Bobcat Triple. Today I also got the back story on why Lynx is in such tough shape. They tried to make snow in March. Unfortunately they were unable to charge the system, meaning that they have a leak in the air lines somewhere. They just gave up and will probably deal with it over the summer.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
At this point in the season, the big wide trails over off Bobcat really hold up best. They handle the traffic much later into the day. I thought Bobcat and Cheetah had the best snow on the hill today.

Cannonball

Today was pretty excellent! Expected cold, clouds, and rain. We did get a little bit of those, but mostly got warmth, sun, and even some snowfall. Conditions were full on spring slush and very fun. Couldn't believe T Brook was ridable!

Great turns with Fcksummer, DeadHeadSkier, and yeggous.

Also met a very nice woman. Who explained to us that the problem with Cannon skiers is that they ski too fast and drink too much. I think one of her exact quotes was "they are some great skiers but they party like rock stars". She also schooled yeggous on the freezing point of water.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Today was pretty excellent! Expected cold, clouds, and rain. We did get a little bit of those, but mostly got warmth, sun, and even some snowfall. Conditions were full on spring slush and very fun. Couldn't believe T Brook was ridable!

Great turns with Fcksummer, DeadHeadSkier, and yeggous.

Also met a very nice woman. Who explained to us that the problem with Cannon skiers is that they ski too fast and drink too much. I think one of her exact quotes was "they are some great skiers but they party like rock stars". She also schooled yeggous on the freezing point of water.

Haha, too bad she didn't school the snowmakers who apparently didn't think about what temp water freezes at.

Awesome conditions all day!

Didn't look like 4/26 on the summit
HWdetMa.jpg

Cannonball getting some air with a clipse of tucks in the background.
ESpYyoi.jpg

It's not easy keeping up with DHS!
TWwD1iv.jpg

LmR2SQX.jpg

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
That broad was both hilarious and annoying as hell at the same time. Trying to kick back with a beer and bask in the glory of a great day and she Revere Beach stomped all over my mellow. :lol: odd experience for Wildcat.

Puck it

Who explained to us that the problem with Cannon skiers is that they ski too fast and drink too much. I think one of her exact quotes was "they are some great skiers but they party like rock stars". She also schooled yeggous on the freezing point of water.

She must have been talking about me

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looks like a seen from the old Prohibition Parties (RIP) at Stowe.

Not that long ago in a less corporate time at Stowe, Ski Patrol would not only rope off Chin Clip, but they'd arrange for keg delivery on a snowcat. It was a grand old party for locals only on a warm spring day every year. It usually happened last week of the season when very few tourists were around.

Until some A-hole said, "Hey, what if somebody gets hurt, they might sue us."

merica'

Edd

Skied the last day for the Cat today. Very fun and hung out with some cool folks. I'm not sure I'm done personally but Wildcat had a stellar season from my point of view.

yeggous

They had an excellent season. I was very sad when I left today. What am I supposed to do with myself?!?! There is some poetic closure in making it until this weekend. You could see the snowpack retreating through the day. With temperatures in the 70s today and 80s tomorrow there is no denying summer is here.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Decent enough turn out to make them consider going for May again next year? So jealous of all who were there. Really wanted to be there.

Hope they turned a profit this year. I'll be back in the season pass fold for next year. Took the year off in "protest" of last year. From the few times I made it up and everything else I've read, they've earned my pass business back.

steamboat1

In a news article yesterday Wildcat said skier visits were up 30% this year. Whether or not that translates into a profit I have no idea.

"New Hampshire's Wildcat Mountain in Pinkham Notch prides itself on being the state's last ski area open in the spring but marketing director Thomas Prindle says they haven't made it into May in more than a decade.''We've had six months of a phenomenal season,'' said Prindle, noting Wildcat was the first New Hampshire area to open on Nov. 9. The mountain had a 30 percent increase in skier visits compared to past years and this weekend marks Wildcat's grand finale."