• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SoVT Boot and Rally Part One- 4/24/2015

catsup948

So I made the most of some ugly weather Friday and went on a very rewarding adventure.

Knowing it could be my last day this season, I came up with the plan of both skinning and riding lifts in one glorious day. My first stop was Stratton. Skinned up past the Snowbowl lift all the way up Drifter to the summit. Some light snow had fallen overnight which made for quick skinning. Drifter is pretty narrow and protected so the wind wasn't an issue. There were some good drifts in places. It took me about 80 minutes to get to the top, I took a lot of breaks. I'm clearly not in skinning shape, too much beer and cheese. Summit was wind swept and didn't have much snow. I skied down Drifter, which skied beutifully. I hiked back up a couple sections and skied them again. Everything else was either wind scoured or icey bumps. There was still enough snow in the woods so ducked into dancing bear woods for a few turns. I decided to skip the icey bumps of world cup and I skied around drifter back past the Snowbowl lift to the car. I was pretty amazed at how much snow there still was on the Snowbowl side of Stratton. I'm tempted to just go back and hit World Cup on a sunny day, likely snow will be good up there for a few more weeks.

Attachments

• 1430188305899.jpg
    1430188305899.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 1430188357206.jpg
    1430188357206.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 1430188397660.jpg
    1430188397660.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1430188439690.jpg
    1430188439690.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 88

xwhaler

Coverage looks pretty good! Way to get after it!
Sorta surprised Stratton closes 2nd wknd in April every yr...would think they could try and 'compete' with Mt Snow/Okemo for late season turns for those coming from CT/NY/NJ.
They certainly seem to blow a lot of snow up there.

drjeff

Coverage looks pretty good! Way to get after it!
Sorta surprised Stratton closes 2nd wknd in April every yr...would think they could try and 'compete' with Mt Snow/Okemo for late season turns for those coming from CT/NY/NJ.
They certainly seem to blow a lot of snow up there.

When Mount Snow had roughly 1500 people there their last day (most of were there because of the $19.54 dollar lift ticket special they had) and Okemo had maybe 500 people there tops on their last day (I was at both places for their last days the past 2 Sundays) the realistic size of the crowd you're talking about isn't very large.

Killington on the other hand has the longstanding reputation of being the place to go for spring skiing, and the crowd size when I was there this past Saturday showed that