• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lunch Break: Snowbird, April 27, 2015

thetrailboss

Staff member
The new snow helped but it was pretty wet and heavy. No complaints though....here are some pictures. More details tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1430192081.947141.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1430192105.748301.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1430192127.430032.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1430192150.330705.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1430192178.346720.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Resort: Snowbird

Date: Apr. 27, 2015

Conditions: P/Variable; Clouds, fog, then some sun, temps in the upper 30's.

Report: When you've got a career, wife, and a daughter, you ski when you can and enjoy what you get. That's been my mantra over the past few seasons. So when we got a dump this weekend and a trip up to the Canyon was just not in the cards for numerous reasons, the next best thing was an extended lunch break on Monday to enjoy the goods. Thanks to the the fast lifts, I managed to get five solid runs in an hour or so.

We're down to the Tram, Mineral Basin, and Little Cloud. Snowcats were plowing the service road in Peruvian to make way for construction equipment to finish the summit lodge. And down low things are getting admittedly pretty thin. I don't know if Bass Highway is going to make it to closing day....we're likely going to be downloading on the Tram.

I grabbed a pretty full Tram at about 12:30 and then dove into Powder Paradise to find that the deep snow from yesterday's storm was pretty wet for Utah. Still a delight to ski, but pretty heavy. Next run was down White Diamonds which was pretty good--the new snow on the steep pitches was fun to ski, but it was a bit tricky. Manky in places.

That led me down a delightful Regulator Johnson. We've been skidding down its icy face all season waiting for the warm spring days when it breaks into an edgeable spring delight. Today was such a day.

Old Ladies Slide was also a perfect mix of new and existing snow. The bumps were perfectly spaced for powder twin tips. I snuck over to Goblin Gully--the flats were a bit sticky with the warming temps.

Last run was down Moss Mess over to Lower Old Ladies and then down Lunch Run to Lower Regs Gully. Gadzoom is done for the season and was spinning...empty...perhaps for maintenance. This whole side was a ghost town. The snow was sticky and slow. I made it back to my car and headed back to the valley.

All in all not a bad lunch break.