• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Game Changer - Sugarloaf will run Skyline Saturday & Sunday !!!

skiMEbike

Sugarloaf just announced they will be turning Skyline on Saturday & Sunday

A lot of smiles on many Sugarloafers' faces today.....

As I wrote in my trip report from 4/25, Sugarloaf is buried....If you are considering a venture out this weekend, I strongly urge you to get to the Loaf especially with Skyline spinning.....I am expecting nearly 100% open with glades in play.

Enjoy!!

wa-loaf

I'm surprised they are planning on this being the last weekend.

xwhaler

Sugarloaf opened for the season 11/8 I believe which was a week or 2 earlier than they normally do it.
They almost always open the Friday before Thanksgiving wknd IIRC.
So total length of season is about the same---but I too was a bit surprised this is it for them.

wa-loaf

Nice.

And in other news, Snowbird has moved their closing from 5.17 to 5.10 :(

Yeah, but you guys are having a bad snow year while the Loaf could run almost 100% right now.

And screw the superquad. I'd run the double runner and skyline for a few more weeks. You really only want to lap that top section in the spring. It's a waste to have to ski down to the superquad in the spring snow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, but you guys are having a bad snow year while the Loaf could run almost 100% right now.

And screw the superquad. I'd run the double runner and skyline for a few more weeks. You really only want to lap that top section in the spring. It's a waste to have to ski down to the superquad in the spring snow.

More like terrible snow year.

Sorry for the thread highjack. As to Sugarloaf, I think that Super Quad and Skyline make sense but I understand what you are saying about the base being too wet.

dlague

I do know about Game Changer - long ways to drive when I have several other options like Jay Peak, Killington, Sugarbush and Wildcat all approximately 2 hours or less. Sugarloaf is 4.5 hours away. Good to see that they are making that available!

skiMEbike

I would say going two weekends in May would be considered "normal" for them compared to recent years...The puzzling thing to me is the fact they are going daily operations right to the end. I would have expected for them to shut down mid-week starting this week & stretch things another weekend or two by going to weekends only. I am curious to know from an operating and overhead cost perspective is it cheaper to run lifts for 4 days (5/2, 5/3, 5/9, 5/10) over a 2 week period...versus...running lifts for 7 days over a 1 week period ???? If it is the former then why the hell not shut down mid-week & extend the season, as it would seem the weekends would generate the most revenue...However I am certain there are some other costs (which I am not thinking about) that continue to increase by extending the season end date regardless of days the lifts are actually spinning.

Also, the new general manager at the helm as of 4/1/15 is a factor as he's trying to influence how the end of season should be played out.

Regardless....I don't give a shit, since this is my last opportunity to ski this year....I'll be on Skyline Sunday afternoon !!!

Vortex

Going for May Day at the Sunday River on Sat to support them bringing it back, but The loaf may be on the Agenda for Sunday, I had considered the CAT. One of the other hopefully. Nice job by the loaf.

Savemeasammy

Sugarloaf is out of our day trip range, but if it weren't, having skyline open would put it on my radar. If it were the superquad only, I wouldn't consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Too bad they're so far away from most. With the Skyline open, they've got the best product open in New England for the weekend IMO.

1. Loaf
2. Jay

and then a large gap to everyone else

snoseek

my finances are currently a typical spring mess (loooong vacation) but I'm tempted to combine a free SR day with sunday at the loaf. Not sure yet...or just go to KT opening??? Either option involves stealth free camping.

SkiingInABlueDream

^^^ While I wince at the use of the word "product" in this context :), this is exactly what I've been wondering of this weekend's offerings. Daytrip to either of those places is a tall but not impossible order. hmmmm........

edit: oops, the "^^^" refers to Deahhead's post. :)

Savemeasammy

Too bad they're so far away from most. With the Skyline open, they've got the best product open in New England for the weekend IMO.

1. Loaf
2. Jay

and then a large gap to everyone else

With Killington spinning Snowdon and Canyon this weekend, the gap shrinks a bit. Add in the fact that they are seeding on Superstar, and it shrinks even more! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
This time of year I don't care much about seeding. I'll take natural bumps on winters way and bubblecuffer over 20 superstars.

I give Killington all the credit in the world for pushing the spring skiing envelope, but football field wide trails isn't my preference.

Newpylong

Bubblecuffer and Winters Way aren't exactly narrow... But I would take them this time of year if possible over Stupidstar.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They're narrower than any expert trails at Killington save for catwalk. They also have turns / character.

Riverskier

This time of year I don't care much about seeding. I'll take natural bumps on winters way and bubblecuffer over 20 superstars.

I give Killington all the credit in the world for pushing the spring skiing envelope, but football field wide trails isn't my preference.

Bubblecuffer and Winters Way were skiing great yesterday with plenty of coverage and great lines. Best late season coverage up there since 2007.