• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Game Changer - Sugarloaf will run Skyline Saturday & Sunday !!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Dave, Concord, NH is not the epicenter of the skiing universe. :lol:

No matter the time of season, SR and SL draw their visitors primarily from metro Boston and on up the coast.

dlague

Dave, Concord, NH is not the epicenter of the skiing universe. :lol:

No matter the time of season, SR and SL draw their visitors primarily from metro Boston and on up the coast.

What? It isn't? Well it is for me! I thought Loon was where Boston skis? Manning a booth at the ski show would lead me to think that way.

In any case you are right about their market. The times I mentioned were not from Concord though that was from Boston.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I get it Dave. I wasn't talking about Killington or Jay or Wildcat. Those areas had nothing to do with it. I simply stated I bet a majority of Boyne pass holders and typical SR skiers would prefer if Sunday River hadn't operated this past weekend if it meant Sugarloaf would open an extra weekend.

Jully

Wildcat is an equivalent distance for Boston Metro compared to SR. SL is a different story though for sure.

dlague

I get it Dave. I wasn't talking about Killington or Jay or Wildcat. Those areas had nothing to do with it. I simply stated I bet a majority of Boyne pass holders and typical SR skiers would prefer if Sunday River hadn't operated this past weekend if it meant Sugarloaf would open an extra weekend.

I get that conflict of interest they created.

machski

Where you are wrong is that most Boyne Pass holders who base at SR want SR open in May. Loaf can do what it wants. My opinion and held by many at SR. A trip or 2 to Loaf is nice, but we at SR have wanted May back for a long time!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Times have changed then. The impression I got while a pass holder there a couple of years was come mid-April many switched gears to Sugarloaf. I know I did. I'd take skiing off then Spillway over Barker any day. Once the west side of the hill closed for the year I moved on to Sugarloaf.

SkiFanE

I have not heard of anyone who skies at SR that cares about SL or what they do in May.
I don't care about SL. Just too far from Boston. Would have loved to go last weekend but just too far for a day trip. I buy pass for SR - just happens to be good at 2 other places. Lots of my SR ski buddies were at SL last weekend, I think all of them are Mainers. I couldn't make last day at SR-wish they opened til Sunday. But have to say - first non-ski weekend since Feb was nice - have an organized shed and garage now :)

Vortex

Where you are wrong is that most Boyne Pass holders who base at SR want SR open in May. Loaf can do what it wants. My opinion and held by many at SR. A trip or 2 to Loaf is nice, but we at SR have wanted May back for a long time!

Yea What he said. I skied Sr on May Day. loved it. Glad to have it back. Made opening Day and closing Day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Guess it's different for Cumberland county folks and other Mainers. Lived in Portland when I had my SR pass. Everyone I knew who had a pass switched gears to the Loaf come April. Between Reggae and the more compelling terrain, we all skied Sugarloaf that time of year. Midseason SR saw most of my days due to quicker commute and less chance of wind holds.

Vortex

Guess it's different for Cumberland county folks and other Mainers. Lived in Portland when I had my SR pass. Everyone I knew who had a pass switched gears to the Loaf come April. Between Reggae and the more compelling terrain, we all skied Sugarloaf that time of year. Midseason SR saw most of my days due to quicker commute and less chance of wind holds.

A decent amount of the Regulars from Me did go to the loaf and did a day trip or got a room Sat night.
We use to do the same for a few years. Depending on how the kids vacation schedule went, we went Monday
after the River closed and then went Friday through Sunday to finish it.

With The Boyne Properties waiting on what CNL does, it made sense IMO to show SR and the Loaf are late Season options. May skiing at the River was announced last fall. I liked two more weekends at the River.

skiMEbike

I think the answer/opinions will vary greatly based on whether or not you are invested (or renting) in property or not...Obviously people with a place want their home mountain to stay open as long as possible. I've been in both camps as a day tripper & a renter at Sugarloaf. Speaking from the day trippers camp, I would say your statement is accurate. The only reason for not agreeing with your assessment would be that the "Loaf is too far". An additional 45 mins to an hour extra drive from points in greater Portland & south would seem insignificant for someone itching to ski in May. So property owners/renters aside, I would say your statement is accurate IMO.

The real question is what would the people at Loon think....Oh wait a minute, no one cares :wink:

machski

We used to go up for 3 days or so NH April Vaca week when the Loaf was playing King of Spring mid 2000's. It was great, think KP may have even been turning that week. Recently, with only SQ guarenteed late April, that is not worth the drive IMHO. I personally hate lapping that lift, the lower half is just too flat. Skyline running or not makes all the difference. Had we been around last weekend, we would have likely done May Day at SR and SL on Sunday. But for me its very rare I choose SL over SR when both are open. The hour extra drive each way is a killer (and the 1:45 between them isn't a breeze either).

Riverskier

Times have changed then. The impression I got while a pass holder there a couple of years was come mid-April many switched gears to Sugarloaf. I know I did. I'd take skiing off then Spillway over Barker any day. Once the west side of the hill closed for the year I moved on to Sugarloaf.

I would take the tradeoff you proposed any day, but in my experience Mach is right for the most part. Most SR skiers care more about SR staying open and trek to SL more because they have to, as opposed to because they want to.

Newpylong

Of course Mainers would. But due to pure demographics, "most" of the clientele at SR is not even from Maine. So it would be dubious to say 9/10 pass holders would trade time at SR for more at SL.