• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Just how good was skiing in the NE this year?

SkiFanE

I am amazed by some of the statements here. We had nearly 3 months of no thaw and conditions were nice whether you ski bumps, trees, or groomers or all of it. There are very few winters where we get a stretch like that. Yes at the very very end of December and a few days in the beginning of January we had a mini thaw but that was nothing. After that event, everything stayed in play even up to last weekend at the places that were still open. Seems like many forget the March scorcher we had a few years back. This year it is just arriving. Some must have forgotten the snow drought earlier in this decade. This was a very decent year in NE. The only thing lacking was a dry 3 foot dump in the mountains.

My gnat brain just remembers a little mid-January frustration, but forgot all about that lol. Navigating Boston daily was one bad bad side effect, I was probably the only one in office that didn't bitch about it, even though it was a drag - just knew great weekend was coming.

BenedictGomez

For northern Vermont, this is the only reason why this winter stands out. Otherwise, it is entirely forgettable.

You're extremely difficult to please.

Trees were awesome. Just plain awesome. Lack of normal January/February freeze/thaw was the difference - it was still powder in the woods in mid-March. It truly was powder or packed-powder for 2 months. Freaking cold and windy though - I did bail totally probably 2 days - just couldn't do it. So much spring coverage.

This is my view as well. My only complaint is the 2 weekends I didn't ski due to uber-cold.

I am amazed by some of the statements here. We had nearly 3 months of no thaw and conditions were nice whether you ski bumps, trees, or groomers or all of it. There are very few winters where we get a stretch like that.

Exactly. As you said, the only thing missing was those 1 or 2 huge powder days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Those who didn't grab deep days need to be more flexible where/when you ski. I had one of my deeper days in the last decade at Crotched this year. Probably 20", but mid thigh depth in the drifts.

Puck it

Those who didn't grab deep days need to be more flexible where/when you ski. I had one of my deeper days in the last decade at Crotched this year. Probably 20", but mid thigh depth in the drifts.
The deep days were only south this year. Boot high was probably was my deepest day at Cannon.

Jcb890

This is a huge part of my plan for next year. I'm also hoping a pass to our local mountain (Wachusett) will allow me to hit those days where I normally wouldn't be able to travel too far North due to weather.

SkiFanE

Keep the "digging" to a minimum and snowblow most of it = really cuts the time needed.
And you know what? When you get back from skiing the snow is still there! Can remove it then. Have never given up a ski day to dig out in MA. Either try to get back Sunday about 8 or if it's later, do some Monday AM. One big weekend snowstorm this winter we had to stay in MA- so that was sucky but convenient for snow removal. We snowblow - although the thing needs some work after this winter - was struggling towards end.

Smellytele

Great year - only had one bad day. Up until Christmas week was great then it wasn't until MLK weekend then it was until I wrapped it up at the end of April.

catsup948

Southern Vermont had a pretty awesome season. The two bigger storms we had here in early February were greatly enhanced by latitude and elevation up there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
or Southern NH. Still dreaming about the deep day Xwhaler, Savemeasammy and I had at Crotched this season.

Hope southern NH gets the goods again next season. Just pulled the trigger on the Granite Pass. Crotched has done well the past couple of years and hoping for more of the same. Ideally I'll be skiing Wildcat more, but with the little one, I see a lot of early morning quick hits over at Crotched next season.