• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fire on Hunter Mtn

BenedictGomez

Are there any homes or businesses there or is it completely remote? As long as there are no homes or businesses in the area, it's really the best thing for nature.

dlague

Are there any homes or businesses there or is it completely remote? As long as there are no homes or businesses in the area, it's really the best thing for nature.

When you open the article that is the first this you see is a house with smoke behind it!

this from the article "Panicked residents of Lanesville spent the afternoon worrying about their property. "

JimG.

Staff member
Lanesville a really nice area too. Lot's of hiking trails near there.

There was (90% contained now) a fire near Sam's Point this week also.

It is very dry, carelessness with fire (Sam's Point fire started by a homeowner burning trash on his property) has bad consequences.

ScottySkis

These fires are crazy one by Sam's p put a lot people out their home for few days . hope they get fire out quickly . I saw fire in the by Sam's p is just 5 miles from my house.

catskillman

from what I "hear" it was started by someone trimming trees who took down some wires which created sparks etc.... and it spread fast. No homes lost, it most of went up the mountain and the area is very steep and wooded. There has not been any rain for a while up there. We are heading up tonight, already planned, but I hear the smoke is in town. Hope & pray for the best for everyone on the mountain top. Not to mention the lifts.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Brutal brush fire season this year. As soon as we get some rain and new vegetation comes up we can relax.

SkiRay

Wow. I was just telling Alicia this - that this might be a crazy summer in that its already hot! Heck, we were skiing just two weeks ago with coats on and fresh snow in VT. We ski at Hunter and we know many people there. Good thing the state joined forces to control this fire and hoping that there is some precip to dampen things enough to stop other fires from starting.

Funky_Catskills

Not a big deal really... In town people really started tossing bad information around on Facebook..
Causing people to freak the F out when not needed...
People love disasters up here - getting involved by passing information without first checking.. Being part of something...

I have friends in Diamond Notch - they used their yard to land choppers. It was in the next klove over...
We had a raging party there Saturday night with a giant big air bag... Didn't even notice anything happened... :)

There an annual burn ban in the Catskills until the 15th it got extended out to the 21st...
With any luck the burn will allow more hemlocks to grow.. Like this place was before we cut them all down for tanning...