• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Resort Improvements 2015

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Sunapee - Replace North Peak Triple with former Snowbowl Quad. Move North Peak Triple to backside of North Peak. (no word on this yet, delayed?)
HSQ on North bowl completed last fall. I got to ride it several times on my visit there this past January. Triple stored in pieces behind it - don't know what the plans are for that.

Newpylong

That is a fixed grip quad stored behind it, not a triple.

According to their Master Plan it might replace the North Peak triple or be a new install up from Sun Bowl to North peak roughly up Cataract.

Puck it

Master Plan calls for the old Sun Bowl not North Bowol FGQ to go where the North Peak Triple and the triple comes out of the Sun Bowl to the North Peak where the Cataract Glades are.

Newpylong

sorry, relax Francis!!!

hqdefault.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not NE, but Snowbird this morning just announced this:

For the 2015-2016 ski season, Snowbird is investing more than $30 million into new capital projects. These new projects include The Summit at Snowbird, increased snow making capabilities, a new hands-free RFID ticket system, and an impressive remodel to The Cliff Lodge.

The Lodge looks great. RFID will be nice. As will the increased snowmaking.

http://www.snowbird.com/winter/upgrades/?utm_source=closingday&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may15

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
That is a fixed grip quad stored behind it, not a triple.

According to their Master Plan it might replace the North Peak triple or be a new install up from Sun Bowl to North peak roughly up Cataract.

Master Plan calls for the old Sun Bowl not North Bowol FGQ to go where the North Peak Triple and the triple comes out of the Sun Bowl to the North Peak where the Cataract Glades are.
I'm sorry neither of these makes sense. Replacing a FGT with a FGQ is a waste of time and putting another chair from where the HSQ is to North Peak seems like a ridiculous waste of effort.

DoublePlanker

I'm sorry neither of these makes sense. Replacing a FGT with a FGQ is a waste of time and putting another chair from where the HSQ is to North Peak seems like a ridiculous waste of effort.

I think there was supposed to be some new trails or glades off North Peak towards sun bowl. So its effectively a pod. In order to ski that terrain with current lift config, one would have to make 2 lift rides (sun bowl, ski to bottom, take the triple).

Puck it

I think there was supposed to be some new trails or glades off North Peak towards sun bowl. So its effectively a pod. In order to ski that terrain with current lift config, one would have to make 2 lift rides (sun bowl, ski to bottom, take the triple).
Not really, you ski the Backside of the North Peak by taking the trail that requires skating. I think it is North peak passage or some thing like that. Too lazy to look it up. And yes to new trails on the back side of the North Peak. I think it is only a couple.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:

skiadikt

thetrailboss

Staff member
curious about the snowmaking. don't you guys average 500". perhaps lower elevations to help early season and i guess mineral basin junior's paradise & lupine loop?

Theoretically we get 500" average a season, but in my four seasons out here we have not gotten close to that amount. :roll: The snowmaking helps them open routes early because the snow we get can be later. It also will help them keep a consistent base if this drought continues.

Snowbird has decent snowmaking coverage--Regulator Johnson, two-three routes off Gadzoom, and one main route down Peruvian. Mineral Basin has one route with partial snowmaking. They also have coverage on their beginner area. They need to extend snowmaking up from Little Cloud base through Gremlin Gully and to Mark Malu.

Overall, this last season was better in terms of grooming and snowmaking despite the terrible snow season. I think that their investments last season and hiring a few more ops guys is making a difference.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If the drought gets bad enough, would the water supply for snowmaking get cut off?

Very good question. Snowbird buys its water from the county. It is stored in old mineshafts up in the Canyon. I don't know how that would work in terms of this drought.....Utah is doing a good job denying that we have a problem.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess bad snow year is all relative. I mean you're still skiing and didn't you just grab a May powder day? ;)