• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Resort Improvements 2015

SIKSKIER

Trail clearing has resumed at Mittersill.

Attachments

• IMG_20150516_111436_552[1].jpg
    IMG_20150516_111436_552[1].jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20150516_111558_655[1].jpg
    IMG_20150516_111558_655[1].jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 203

BeefyBoy50

Trailboss- what do you know about the replacement to the Summit Chair at Solitude/ what are your opinions? Personally, I'll be excited that they are creating a way to lap upper honeycomb canyon in less than an hour, but I know some locals are less than enthused. I'm just interested to see how they plan on rerouting the lift, it'll have to go over some of those steep trails that come down from Powderhorn if they don't plan on building a lift with an angle station.
Also, at Snowbird, I thought there had been plans to replace mid-gad?

BeefyBoy50

Does anyone know any new news about West Bowl at Jay Peak? I always get excited over these big expansions and proposals, but it seems that due to restrictions and laws, the only changes happening these days are lift replacements and snow-making upgrades (not that these aren't also appreciated). I know money is always an issue, as is getting approval from legislators, but it would be awesome to finally see one of these master plans come to fruition.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Trailboss- what do you know about the replacement to the Summit Chair at Solitude/ what are your opinions? Personally, I'll be excited that they are creating a way to lap upper honeycomb canyon in less than an hour, but I know some locals are less than enthused. I'm just interested to see how they plan on rerouting the lift, it'll have to go over some of those steep trails that come down from Powderhorn if they don't plan on building a lift with an angle station.
Also, at Snowbird, I thought there had been plans to replace mid-gad?

Deer Valley has closed on their purchase of Solitude. Before that sale was announced, Solitude announced that it would be replacing the Summit Double with a Doppelmayr HSQ. Deer Valley has since said that they will proceed with the replacement of that lift and realign it such that it is easier to get to from the rest of the area. They are also grading a new trail down to it from Apex I believe.

Mid-Gad has been rumored for replacement for a long time. Currently the Snowbird Master Plan calls for that area to see night skiing and the installation of a Cabriolet or Gondola to Mid-Gad using that route. Those are long off though. My sense is that they are pushing for Mary Ellen now--they built a service road to that area and took out the Hillary Step so that the traverse is much easier.

dlague

Does anyone know any new news about West Bowl at Jay Peak? I always get excited over these big expansions and proposals, but it seems that due to restrictions and laws, the only changes happening these days are lift replacements and snow-making upgrades (not that these aren't also appreciated). I know money is always an issue, as is getting approval from legislators, but it would be awesome to finally see one of these master plans come to fruition.

Jay's primary focus is in more non skiing activities. They will be building the Recreation Center on Stateside which will have an arcade, ropes course, climbing wall and theater.

xwhaler

Pats peak rumor has it that the peak double will be replaced with another triple.

Capacity need or just getting a good deal on the triple and replacing the lift before ongoing maintenance costs get too high?
Pats is almost always pretty busy when I'm there but I hardly ever wait in lines.
That Peak double is awfully slow though so getting something faster would be nice on days the Vortex is not running.

skiNEwhere

Ok, not east but loveland is splitting chair 2 in half! About freaking time something was done. The former lift had a mid-load AND mid-unload station. This, combined with being a low intermediate lift caused a lot of stops, and often turned a 12 minute ride into 15. My number 1 most hated lift, glad to see something done about it.

Smellytele

Didn't Pats buy a couple chairs from Ascutney? Could be just putting that to use.

Yes and the peak double is the oldest lift on the mountain and was bought used as well. I was told though that it is in great shape and is in better condition than a lot newer lifts in the state.

and yes the triple is from Ascutney.

machski

Okemo is putting in the first of 2 quad chairs in timber creek this summer plus upgrading the chairs on Jackson gore express to bubbles (not sure if they will be heated but orange canopies to match)