• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Resort Improvements 2015

deadheadskier

Staff member
Only on ski mountains. The tens of thousands of undeveloped acres in NH similar to the few acres I'd like to see gladed isn't good enough for that sacred bird I guess.

Newpylong

South Peak at Loon is the only good pod. A quiet pod opposite of the madhouse on the other side. I was able to ski it in 2011. Since then they've added trails and I've wanted to go back.

Jackson Gore is horrible, imo. There's too much traffic on Limelight with everyone coming from the Okemo side. Typically it's just Quantum Leap, Sunset, and Tuckered Out that get snowmaking and grooming, too little terrain for a hsq. The intersection between Okemo and Jackson Gore is one of the most dangerous in Vermont.

I'm being harsh because you'd think after 60 years the ski industry would know how to design a good trail pod.

I am with you - I find Jackson Gore F-.

spiderpig

South Peak at Loon is the only good pod. A quiet pod opposite of the madhouse on the other side. I was able to ski it in 2011. Since then they've added trails and I've wanted to go back.

Jackson Gore is horrible, imo. There's too much traffic on Limelight with everyone coming from the Okemo side. Typically it's just Quantum Leap, Sunset, and Tuckered Out that get snowmaking and grooming, too little terrain for a hsq. The intersection between Okemo and Jackson Gore is one of the most dangerous in Vermont.

I'm being harsh because you'd think after 60 years the ski industry would know how to design a good trail pod.

It's good for advanced to expert skiers, mid-season when there's snow. Otherwise, yeah, three trails. The Coleman Brook Express did not need to be a HSQ; should have moved A or B quad over and popped the HSQ in at the main base, but I guess that would have looked bad when they tried to sell the real estate at Jackson Gore.

On a related note: Okemo is taking suggestions on Facebook for capital improvements (not sure if serious). That should go well. :puke:

spiderpig

Okemo is putting in the first of 2 quad chairs in timber creek this summer plus upgrading the chairs on Jackson gore express to bubbles (not sure if they will be heated but orange canopies to match)

What's this now? There is no Timber Creek and I think you made up the second part unless you have inside information.

WoodCore

Don't forget that when the Jackson Gore pod was originally designed it included a base to summit lift (gondola) and additional trails feeding the base area from skiers right. IMHO that lift resolves a great deal of the high traffic areas, eliminates the danger level of disfunction junction and makes the JG express quad ski more like a distinct pod rather than the only way out of JG. I love the Limelight trail but dislike the traffic it see's. Other than early morning I prefer to use southern crossing to get over to JG.

xwhaler

JG and South Face are my favorite pods when I ski Okemo. JG is almost always ski on and a great way to escape the crowds not to mention an easier base area to work with

Last edited:

dlague

JG and South Face are my favorite pods when I ski Okemo. JG is almost always ski on and a great way to escape the crowds not to mention an easier base area to work with

I agree with your comment on JG. South Face is pretty light too and has fast runs!

machski

What's this now? There is no Timber Creek and I think you made up the second part unless you have inside information.

Timber Creek is a new development on the flank of the main mountain. This is the first of 2 lifts planned for the real estate development (not too much in way of ski terrain, mostly just ski home trail stuff).

machski

Why two lifts? Looks like one could do it.

I think the second one will start at the lower left corner of the development. Based on the drawing I agree, but the actual layout may have two "low points" in the left and right corners. If you're going to charge big $ for the property, can't have any uphill walking to your lift!! LOL!

VTKilarney

So this thread is about resort improvements for 2015?

Q Burke got rid of its management. That's an improvement. :flame: