• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Resort Improvements 2015

Newpylong

Minor in comparison to the big boys but Whaleback:

Lodge/Misc:

-Upper deck entirely ripped out and rebuilt
-Primary Groomer completely rebuilt
-Blade being attached to backup groomer (usually only used for moving fan guns around but will now be able to farm snow)

Snowmaking:

-A complete review of the snowmaking plant and equipment by an independent snow engineering company occurred in the spring.
-Water pump being sent out for complete rebuild
-Primary compressor is being serviced
-A number of “chokepoints” in the main pump house piping are being eliminated
-Fan guns are being serviced and additional power outlets will be installed to utilize them in the high acreage areas.
-6” water pipe is replacing 4” pipe coming down from the summit to the large acreage areas and one former loop will be dead ended to provide higher pressure up top.
-HKD tower guns on Dorsal for this year (first route to open)

Lights:

-Additional density will be added and some lights raised for better coverage.
-Lights on Scrimshaw/Canyon will be fixed and the west side of the trail will be relit as it was prior to widening.
-Remainder of new lights from last year will be installed.
-Additional lighting on Rib Cage.
-Tree removal and bulb replacement on Face
-Fix dark spots around base area

Trail work:

-Dorsal has been widened in area, the entire trail stumped.
-Canyon has been stumped and regraded
-Rib Cage has been widened and regraded
-Bottom of Scrimshaw/Canyon has been regraded. The mess down there is gone.
-Bottom of Spout regraded.

Name of the game is less now to be made to cover the same area.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member

xwhaler

Minor in comparison to the big boys but Whaleback:

Lodge/Misc:

-Upper deck entirely ripped out and rebuilt
-Primary Groomer completely rebuilt
-Blade being attached to backup groomer (usually only used for moving fan guns around but will now be able to farm snow)

Snowmaking:

-A complete review of the snowmaking plant and equipment by an independent snow engineering company occurred in the spring.
-Water pump being sent out for complete rebuild
-Primary compressor is being serviced
-A number of “chokepoints” in the main pump house piping are being eliminated
-Fan guns are being serviced and additional power outlets will be installed to utilize them in the high acreage areas.
-6” water pipe is replacing 4” pipe coming down from the summit to the large acreage areas and one former loop will be dead ended to provide higher pressure up top.
-HKD tower guns on Dorsal for this year (first route to open)

Lights:

-Additional density will be added and some lights raised for better coverage.
-Lights on Scrimshaw/Canyon will be fixed and the west side of the trail will be relit as it was prior to widening.
-Remainder of new lights from last year will be installed.
-Additional lighting on Rib Cage.
-Tree removal and bulb replacement on Face
-Fix dark spots around base area

Trail work:

-Dorsal has been widened in area, the entire trail stumped.
-Canyon has been stumped and regraded
-Rib Cage has been widened and regraded
-Bottom of Scrimshaw/Canyon has been regraded. The mess down there is gone.
-Bottom of Spout regraded.

Name of the game is less now to be made to cover the same area.
All sounds great---don't forget the new glade they are re claiming skiers right of Blowhole....I look fwd to hopefully hitting that when snow is good this coming season.
Lots of good stuff going on up at the Whale. I do hope they make F+B a bigger focus as well...seems an easy way to make profit is to boost bar offerings.

yeggous

Wildcat says...

A new website is not the only “new” thing you will see at Wildcat this season. Some other summer improvements include:
35 new low-e guns (we can’t get enough of those things!)
A new entry way to the lodge
A new state-of-the-art leach field (the forest loves us and we in turn love and respect the forest that we operate in)
New kitchen equipment (Iva’s burgers will be juicier and Linda’s beer will be perfectly chilled)
New trail signage (try to get lost)
New chairs in the Pub (juicier burgers, perfect beer and new chairs….. there’s no reason to leave the Pub)
2 words….. Mug Club (get them while they last, limited number available….. stay tuned for details)
100’s of gallons of paint
144 new pairs of rental/high performance demo skis

I am super stoked about mug club.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, I'm down with the mug club.

On the topic of drinking at Wildcat; I'd love to see the upstairs renovated to improve the bar experience. When I go to Cannon I get bar envy. They should flip flop the bar into the larger room and put a big ass bar in like Cannon has.

steamboat1

Not mentioned in this thread but in the Heritage thread is the new triple at West Mountain. The old chair from Heritage Club which the new six pack is replacing, heard it's in like new condition. West Mountain also bought the drive from the old Sugarbush Valley House chair to be used next year to replace their backside triple. Also in like new condition.

attachment.php

Attachments

• nov15update1.jpg
    nov15update1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

mriceyman

Yea west mtn flies under the radar but i like what theyre doing. Will have to visit at some point but it is really far from me

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JAM614

Wildcat says...

A new state-of-the-art leach field (the forest loves us and we in turn love and respect the forest that we operate in)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Hopefully this will eliminate the "funk" emitting from the lodge lower level. It used to get pretty ripe at times...

delco714

Sugarloaf dropped from 100 trails to 44 yesterday. Super! That and the fake snow melting the outside film of my anon m2 blue lagoon lens.. :(

So happy we went to a medical conference at big sky 2 weeks ago. So much powder, whole mountain open..endless 6 days of boarding