• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/14 Valentine's Day Storm Discussion Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
TrailBoss will appreciate the magnitude of this one...
Lyndon Institute AND St. J Academy are both closed today :-o

Yep. My brother, LI's newest English teacher, told me that he did not get a call...had to see it on TV.

And at 9am in White River Jct, VT: we have heavy snow. Unofficial TB Stake shows 4-4.5 inches of snow on the hood of my car. :wink: Was going to get a pic, but the camera died....

nelsapbm

Holy moly, the Academy & LI CLOSED? This must be a first LOL. I went to the Academy and we were never closed. The headmaster would say if he could walk to school, it's open (he lived right next door)!

ajl50

Here in the north dirty jerz- the only schools that are open amid the Ice Storm warning are my law school and my girlfriends law school. WTF. Anyway...hopefully all of you northerners remember where the "take a picture" button on your camera is...those of us stuck down here need some stoke.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I atually sat up in bed this morning when I heard this on the radio :grin:

Actually, I can remember SJA closing on another occasion. And LI has been much more liberal in their closing policies as of late...Mr. Hilton uses his "headmaster's days" while a former HM did not...

SKIQUATTRO

coating of snow/sleet here on LI .....not bad at all...fun driving in the Audi this morning though!! We are getting hosed on this one, but i'm glad its dumping where it counts!! Why Why Why do i live on this island???

Greg

Staff member
15 degrees and still wind driven sleet here. The wind has really picked up in that last hour. I'm curious to know where the snow line is. I'd like to see some reports from further NW CT and the Berkshires...

ChileMass

The weather chick on the TV says it's gonna be 64*F and sunny today here in San Francisco...........;)

Flying back to Boston tomorrow night. Hope I don't get stuck out here an extra day.......

Zand

Valentines 2007: BUST OF THE CENTURY. How the hell does it sleet when its 11 degrees? Is the upper atmosphere really screwed up that bad?

Did I mention we only managed to squeeze 2" out of this one?

2knees

15 degrees and still wind driven sleet here. The wind has really picked up in that last hour. I'm curious to know where the snow line is. I'd like to see some reports from further NW CT and the Berkshires...

i poured over every report i could get my hands on to try to get a handle on this. Basically, its gonna stay sleet in all of ct until late this afternoon when the snow line should creep into far northwestern ct. I would bet even Mt Snow is going to see some mixing as it seems as if the midlevel warming is making it pretty far north. whatever, the backend should cover that up nicely up there but for us and sundown, it dont look good at all.

and i agree with Zand, i left my house it was 16 freakin degrees and sleet. 16 degrees is god damn cold for snow around here and we get sleet instead.

TwinTips21

It was 11 degrees here last night with sleet. The nws really overforecasted their totals. They said 15-20 inches for here and we will be lucky to get six. That upper atmosphere must be 20000000000 degrees.

Greg

Staff member
Valentines 2007: BUST OF THE CENTURY. How the hell does it sleet when its 11 degrees? Is the upper atmosphere really screwed up that bad?

Did I mention we only managed to squeeze 2" out of this one?

Just taking another one for the team. If it stays predominantly snow north of Mass, I'm okay with that.

Zand

I'm pissed because I spent $65 on snowmobile trail passes yesterday and now I won't even be able to ride them.