• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee Master Plan Road Blocks?

dlague

I subscribe to the Mount Sunapee newsletter and got the letter below in my email. It seems like this battle is endless and ongoing. I also see information like this on their FB page.

I am writing you once again to bring you up to date on the recent developments surrounding Mount Sunapee’s pending Master Development Plan (MDP).

Last week at the DRED Public Hearing at Mount Sunapee, our opponents from around the state turned out in full force and continued to misrepresent the work we have done here at Mount Sunapee, as well as distort the statements of fact supporting DRED’s conditional approval of the MDP.

DRED has reviewed the plan, and their draft decision is a good one.

It enables Mount Sunapee to continue to build upon our successful 17-year track record as accountable and responsible stewards of the resort, and recognizes the importance of careful stewardship of the State Park. DRED’s decision balances recreational growth and land conservation while helping to keep Mount Sunapee competitive in the ski-industry and as the economic engine that drives our region. As part of the MDP, the State of New Hampshire gains over 400 acres of land; 150 acres for resort operations and another 260 for permanent conservation added to our beloved State Park. This land, currently valued at over $1 million, is at no cost to the state and will be donated by Mount Sunapee.

OUR OPPONENTS WON’T STOP UNTIL THEY PUT AN END TO THE RESPONSIBLE BALANCE OF CONSERVATION AND ENHANCEMENT OF THE SUNAPEE OUTDOOR RECREATION EXPERIENCE.

We need you, your family members and friends to voice your support for Mount Sunapee and the Master Development Plan as conditionally approved by the state. That is why I am asking you to once again commit your support in writing and submit it to the state officials who will have the ultimate say on our ability to move Mount Sunapee forward. Their contact information is listed below.

RIGHT NOW, the State is holding an open public comment period through June 5th. We ask that you send your supportive comments today, as time is quickly running out. The more supportive voices, the better chance we will have at being successful in our efforts. WE CAN’T DO IT WITHOUT YOUR HELP!

During the last comment period, your support helped us achieve over 70% positive comments for Mount Sunapee, and the endorsements of five area towns (Newbury, Goshen, Newport, Sunapee, and Bradford) for the MDP. We need to do that again, and we’re counting on YOU!

Please write DRED Commissioner Jeff Rose, Governor Maggie Hassan and all five of the state’s Executive Councilors to voice your support for the Mount Sunapee Master Development Plan.

Sincerely,

Signature

Jay Gamble
General Manager
Mount Sunapee Resort

Express your opinion with those listed below

Commissioner Jeffrey Rose
Mount Sunapee Comments
Department of Resources and Economic Development
PO Box 1856
Concord, NH 03302
Or via email, MountSunapeeComments@dred.nh.gov

Governor Maggie Hassan
State House Annex #208
107 North Main Street
Concord, NH 03301
or via email, at http://business.nh.gov/NHGovernor/comments.asp

Executive Councilor Joseph Kenney
PO Box 201
Union, NH 03887
Or via email,
joseph.kenney@nh.gov

Executive Councilor Colin Van Ostern
PO Box 193
Concord, NH 03302
Or via email,
cvanostern@nh.gov

Executive Councilor Chris Sununu
71 Hemlock Court
Newfields, NH 03856
Or via email,
csununu@nh.gov

Executive Councilor Christopher Pappas
629 Kearney Circle
Manchester, NH 03104
Or via email,
cpappas@nh.gov

Executive Councilor David Wheeler
523 Mason Road
Milford, NH 03055
Or via email,
David.wheeler@nh.gov

Domeskier

I don't think I can form an opinion on this until I know what Threecy thinks about it.

dlague

So obviously would help the local budget as more tax revenue is generated by condos and the like. I just find it interesting how they are reaching out publicly to garner support and the anti-ski area on state land group continues to fight.

crank

The locals are opposed. Sunape is a wealthy town in an area of not so wealthy towns.

crank

Maybe so but it would be adjacent to Mt. Sunape no? NIMBY. Can;t say I blame them. I think the Muellers do a good job managing ski resorts. I think Okemo has a ton of real estate development. If I lived near Mt Sunape I would be looking at Okemo and saying thanks but no thanks.

thebigo

They added a six pack to the master plan, will steal some bragging rights from ragged, wonder if the existing quad is headed to the west bowl

Newly proposed capital improvements in this 2014-2019 Master Plan:
  • Upgrade the Sunapee Express Quad to a 6-passenger express chair lift.
  • Install a Mountain Coaster in the woods between the Lynx and Hansen-Chase ski trails.

http://www.enhancemountsunapee.com/The-Plan.aspx

Newpylong

The lift has been in at Ragged for 14 years, not even a thought in anyone's mind or used for marketing/bragging anymore. Let Sunapee blow money at chairlift hop scotch.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well.......Ragged does continue to say NHs only high speed six pack. I get what you're saying though......really doesn't matter to people if it's a 4 or 6 these days.

Except for Haystack and families not wanting to split up

thebigo

Sununu has recused himself

"I appreciate and thank Commissioner Jeff Rose and his team at the Department of Resources and Economic Development for their good work on the Mount Sunapee ski area expansion proposal. Above all else, elected officials must be transparent and impartial in their deliberations on public projects. As CEO of Waterville Valley Resort, I will recuse myself from voting on the Mt. Sunapee expansion proposal so as to avoid even a perceived conflict of interest." - See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/Sununu-to-recuse-himself-on-Mount-Sunapee-vote#sthash.kMgV5iYF.dpuf

I would guess this makes passage less likely.