• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

B.B. King dead at 89

JimG.

Staff member
To me, this is really the day the music died.

A true music legend, RIP. I'm in mourning today.

steamboat1

Only time I saw BB King was back in 1971 at the Fillmore East a few days before it closed. Albert King (another outstanding Blues guitarist who died in 1992) also played that night.

May they both RIP.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No musician I've ever known could say so much in so few syllables as BB. That goes for both his singing and guitar playing. He could tell a story in a 4 note lick, rest two measures, play the exact same 4 notes and they'd express something completely different.

steamboat1

"I wanted to thank him for all the inspiration and encouragement he gave me as a player over the years and for the friendship that we enjoyed. There's not a lot left to say because this music is almost a thing of the past now, and there are not many left to play it in the pure way that BB did. He was a beacon for all of us who love this kind of music, and I thank him from the bottom of my heart." — Eric Clapton

"B.B. King bent the strings on a guitar like no one else, and we all owe him something now. Every guitar player that's not known and well-known is playing something that man created on a guitar." — Buddy Guy

"So sad to hear of BB King's passing, he was someone we all looked up to." — Mick Jagger

"The passing of BB King is a great loss for me and everyone who loves music. At least we have his recordings. Farewell BB." — Keith Richards

"Mississippi is known the world over as the birthplace of America's music, and BB King is one of its founding legends and one of our state's most treasured gifts to the music world. For decades, our souls have been stirred by his talents. From juke joints to concert halls, there is no place his influence hasn't reached. Mississippi has lost a legend. He is the king. The thrill is gone." — Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant

"There are reasons why he's been so loved and revered all these many decades: It's as much the dignity and heart he brought to his life as it was his astonishing gifts as an artist. That and the fact that he was always true to why we loved him in the first place." — Bonnie Raitt

"The world has physically lost not only one of the greatest musical people ever but one of the greatest people ever. Enjoy your eternity." — Smokey Robinson

"It's difficult to fathom a world without B.B. King." — ZZ Top guitarist Billy Gibbons

jimk

My wife and I saw him in concert around 1980, +/- a year or two. He was already an elder statesman and legendary blues man at that point. Given that he had diabetes for decades he was blessed to be able to do his thing and play for audiences until less than a year before his death at age 89.

JimG.

Staff member
My wife and I saw him in concert around 1980, +/- a year or two. He was already an elder statesman and legendary blues man at that point. Given that he had diabetes for decades he was blessed to be able to do his thing and play for audiences until less than a year before his death at age 89.

I saw him about the same time period at the Lone Star Café. He lived a good life.

Saw Albert King and James Brown at the same venue.

jimk

15 kids by a bunch of different women introduces a lot of potentially uncomfortable variables in the the inheritance situation. Since BB was cogent until pretty much the end, I'd tend to give his longtime manager the benefit of the doubt on how he wanted to settle his estate.

JimG.

Staff member
Sounds like the typical American family drama.

BB must be spinning in his grave.

jimk

bb king.jpg
Fun photo of BB wearing an AC/DC type outfit, probably from the 1950s about the time Angus Young was born:lol: