• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Debit card users

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Was in my local credit union today ...long line, I overheard a scary conversation between a Dad ,19 yr old kid and Teller.
Kids Debit card was stollen , They notified the Credit union at 9:00 when they opened several hrs later kids card gets used to buy $68 at convient store....Dad was monitoring kids account , sees the transaction and freaks.
They are asking for an explanation for what happened , Teller tells them can't freeze account with transaction pending.WTF?
Dad wants to transfer money out , teller and now manager looking puzzled . They tell him he can't take all of it out except for the $68.00......I did'nt hear the whole thing , was there a good 15 min and Dads getting pissed as anyone would.
I don't know how it was resolved as I left .Walking away with my wifes voice in my head telling my kids to use their CC's instead.

skiNEwhere

Your wording is throwing me off. They said he could take all of the money out of the account except for $68, or only $68 out? The way you say it sounds like the latter which makes no sense.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Your wording is throwing me off. They said he could take all of the money out of the account except for $68, or only $68 out? The way you say it sounds like the latter which makes no sense.

Sorry ,,,,long week , yes , all but $68.00 , I gues he had a couple thousand. Dad was pissed due to the runaround and anxious about the time the tellers were wasting as he thought they could be doing more transactions as they spoke.

Geoff

My bank ATM card only ever gets used in my bank's ATM machines. In a pinch, I'll use another bank's ATM machine. I won't ever use a 3rd party cash machine at a business and I would never consider using it for a retail purchase. If your card gets cloned, you can eventually recover from it but it's an enormous PITA when checks and auto-payments bounce with all those overdraft fees and late fees.

I get 2% cash back on my credit card and I get a 30 day interest-free float on the money. If the card gets cloned, the transactions vanish immediately and it doesn't tie up my money. Why would I ever use a debit card?