Jay Peak area recommendations for June hiking?

AlpineZone

Jay Peak area recommendations for June hiking?

howdy folks, haven't been here in a while (both this forum & the mountains of new england)

my buddy & I are dusting off the hiking boots for a couple day trips around Jay Peak for June 18-19-20

We'll be up there for the Widespread Panic show on June 19, but in between guitar solos & IPA sampling, we want to get up on some hills while we are there.

Had originally planned to do part of the Monroe Skyline, but the timing doesn't work out so we're putting that off until later in the year.

Current plan is to drive up from Mass on Thurs 6/18 AM, camp near Jay Pass, and do the stretch from Jay Pass to North Jay pass (Jay>Doll Peak>Burnt Mtn) as a one way and get a ride back from a late arriving buddy.

How's the stretch south of Jay Pass? Looking for something with very high vista to effort ratios.

Thanks folks!

Items for Sale
    I can't speak personally about Jay proper, but I'd highly recommend driving down to the Willoughby area where there are lots of great day hikes.

Some classics I highly recommend include:

Wheeler Mountain
    Pisgah
    Bald Mountain
    Haystack
    Mt Hor (really short)

South of Jay is Mount Norris and that has incredible views.

Feel free to PM me. I grew up in the NEK.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I can't speak personally about Jay proper, but I'd highly recommend driving down to the Willoughby area where there are lots of great day hikes.

Some classics I highly recommend include:

Wheeler Mountain
    Pisgah
    Bald Mountain
    Haystack
    Mt Hor (really short)

South of Jay is Mount Norris and that has incredible views.

Feel free to PM me. I grew up in the NEK.
    Those are all nice hikes. My high school senior field day was hiking mount pisgah. A little freaky for me looking over the cliff there.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Those are all nice hikes. My high school senior field day was hiking mount pisgah. A little freaky for me looking over the cliff there.
    That drop is intense

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    That drop is intense

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    My brother in law rock and ice climbs that.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Quote Originally Posted by mrzilliox View Post
    howdy folks, haven't been here in a while (both this forum & the mountains of new england)

my buddy & I are dusting off the hiking boots for a couple day trips around Jay Peak for June 18-19-20

We'll be up there for the Widespread Panic show on June 19, but in between guitar solos & IPA sampling, we want to get up on some hills while we are there.

Had originally planned to do part of the Monroe Skyline, but the timing doesn't work out so we're putting that off until later in the year.

Current plan is to drive up from Mass on Thurs 6/18 AM, camp near Jay Pass, and do the stretch from Jay Pass to North Jay pass (Jay>Doll Peak>Burnt Mtn) as a one way and get a ride back from a late arriving buddy.

How's the stretch south of Jay Pass? Looking for something with very high vista to effort ratios.

Thanks folks!
    Skip the LT southbound from 242 if you want vistas. A nice view out of the woods on S. Gilpin, but you can do that in a 20min hike, worth the walk, but the rest to 58 is just good woods walking. If you want a vista, jump down to the LT crossing on 58, southbound to Haystack, one of the best coffee spots int he world there.

Quote Originally Posted by mrzilliox View Post

See you at the show!
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

Quote Originally Posted by WoodCore View Post
    See you at the show!
    nice! can't wait for it.

Noticed that the show just sold out! UM and Widespread outdoors at Jay Peak with 3500 friends is going to be killer!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

Quote Originally Posted by WoodCore View Post
    Noticed that the show just sold out! UM and Widespread outdoors at Jay Peak with 3500 friends is going to be killer!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    Was surprised how quickly it sold out but there are still tickets for those who make reservations there.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Thread Information