• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good reason to keep wearing a helmet, even in the Spring

Cornhead

I was skiing K today, I just started down the steep pitch at the bottom of SS, I was skiing skier's far right. Suddenly this young "adult" comes flying off the lip from the woods on the edge of the trail, he got good air, then slammed into me. I gave him a little physics lesson, he went down, I did not, he hit me in the head with some part of his body, not sure what part, elbow perhaps, rang my bell a little. I asked him if he was alright, and I just said, " Not cool". He must've been moving at a good clip, I didn't see him till he was flying through the air towards me. I was unaware at the time that the kids were using the lip as a jump, I avoided the area later.

I wear a helmet normally, but have forsaken it while skiing K this Spring, figuring what the Hell, soft corn should be OK to slam my head into, I guess I was wrong, glad it wasn't worse. We'll see what tomorrow brings, my helmet is home, 250 miles from K.

It can get a little wacky with only one trail, toss in a few exuberant youths getting air, and things can get downright dangerous.

There was a nice kicker below the bare spot skier's right that I saw some impressive jumps off, this is much safer to the rest of the people on the hill than jumping 90° into the flow of downhill traffic, I mean if you want to hurt yourself, feel free. I'm just glad he didn't hit some little kid. Now, get off my lawn!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Glad you're okay. I was watching the K webcam today and things looked dicey. Hellova lot more people on Superstar than I can recall.

You're opening the floodgate though. The off-season is a bad time to mention helmets in these parts...

Cornhead

Glad you're okay. I was watching the K webcam today and things looked dicey. Hellova lot more people on Superstar than I can recall.

Oh yeah, there's a discussion about motorcycle helmets, I'm all for them.
You're opening the floodgate though. The off-season is a bad time to mention helmets in these parts...

Yeah, other than today, it's been too hot to wear one, damn near chilly today. Supposed to be 15° warmer tomorrow. I think I do have a bit of a headache, hope I wake up tomorrow!

Last edited:

dlague

We were at Killington today as well and skied with a helmet. We figured since it froze last night that it might be firm and it was. The groomed path off the head wall was scrapped off quickly and hitting your head on a slip could do some damage. The bumps early were pretty firm as well. We skied from 9 until 11. There were some choke points where traffic was a little dicey and IMO you had to let it go and let the skis run. We had fun until my wife took a digger when she got caught in traffic near the grass towards the bottom. Cornhead wish I knew ou were there. It was pretty windy up top.

Cornhead

We were at Killington today as well and skied with a helmet. We figured since it froze last night that it might be firm and it was. The groomed path off the head wall was scrapped off quickly and hitting your head on a slip could do some damage. The bumps early were pretty firm as well. We skied from 9 until 11. There were some choke points where traffic was a little dicey and IMO you had to let it go and let the skis run. We had fun until my wife took a digger when she got caught in traffic near the grass towards the bottom. Cornhead wish I knew ou were there. It was pretty windy up top.

Yeah, I got there about when you were leaving, the middle stayed icy up top. I figured I'd sleep in with it being so cold last night, left the house around 6:30.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I only got in two true spring days this season and was wearing my new helmet which was way too warm. I was thinking I'd cut the ear pads out of my old helmet to make a spring helmet. Maybe drill a few more vent holes in it as well.

Obviously the safety capabilities of the helmet will be compromised, but at 7 years old the helmet is past its prime anyway. Figure it will still be better than no helmet at all and a bit cooler.

ironhippy

I just consider my helmet part of my ski gear now. I never used a helmet as a kid, but came back to skiing in my 30s and haven't not used one since.

I did notice I was the only one lugging my helmet up and down the hill after it closed this spring, but I never found it to be a problem.

Edd

I only got in two true spring days this season and was wearing my new helmet which was way too warm. I was thinking I'd cut the ear pads out of my old helmet to make a spring helmet. Maybe drill a few more vent holes in it as well.

The ear pads don't pull out on your new one? I've had three helmets and they've all been removable, along with the internal padding.

Cornhead

I'd rather not wear one when it's 80°, I don't mind at all mid season, unless it's uber cold, then I break out the Mad Bomber hat. I have no "fur" of my own.

denny717NHSB

I have a friend who never wears a helmet, and I always remind him of what happened to Michael shumaker. If the most talented f1/race car driver can put himself in a coma skiing, then anyone can. I know skiing and racing cars are 2 completly different things, but if someone who drives cars at 150mph for a living can't react quick enough sometimes, then, well, it could happen to anybody.

Jcb890

I have a friend who never wears a helmet, and I always remind him of what happened to Michael shumaker. If the most talented f1/race car driver can put himself in a coma skiing, then anyone can. I know skiing and racing cars are 2 completly different things, but if someone who drives cars at 150mph for a living can't react quick enough sometimes, then, well, it could happen to anybody.

I thought Schumacher was wearing a helmet though.