The 2015 Boating Thread - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Made it to the dam today, first time this year, 6 miles upstream till dinner, hope the wind is with me. Got a pair of Speedo aqua slippers from Dick's, $15, I usually just wear an old pair or sneaks, but I'm out. Should help keep some water out of my boat, I think they drain better than sneakers. Real flimsy soles though, feels a little weird on the footrest of my boat.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    I used to fish big stuff. Won a few big tournies that helped pay for school. Postspawn deal now, 70+ fish this weekend and couldn't crack one over 4lbs. Where is JRMagic? He is the fisherman.
    Fun stuff Tin...

Cornhead, You know it! Those..and all their hybrids really make paddling so much more comfy... I haven't checked NRS out lately...they might have a few options...but everything with a big name is pricey...but often well thought out. Some of their gloves are terrific for spring paddling up here.
    Last edited by bigbog; Jun 10, 2015 at 8:15 PM.
    SteveD

Speaking off fishing, came across this last night ...good idea , drop your Go Pro overboard to see whats down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Made it to the dam today, first time this year, 6 miles upstream till dinner, hope the wind is with me. Got a pair of Speedo aqua slippers from Dick's, $15, I usually just wear an old pair or sneaks, but I'm out. Should help keep some water out of my boat, I think they drain better than sneakers. Real flimsy soles though, feels a little weird on the footrest of my boat.
    I had a pair of those aqua slippers the first year I kayaked. I just didn't care for the feel so I went with a pair of Keen sandals and haven't looked back. They're waterproof and have a more substantial feel if you need to walk in the water, for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I had a pair of those aqua slippers the first year I kayaked. I just didn't care for the feel so I went with a pair of Keen sandals and haven't looked back. They're waterproof and have a more substantial feel if you need to walk in the water, for some reason
    I know what you mean, I'm having my doubts. I need to walk my boat for a hundred yards or so on my return trip. There's a narrow channel where a creek has deposited so much rock into the river that the channel narrows to fifty yards or so. I have paddled upstream through this section, but you must be committed to overpower Nature, or your basically on a liquid treadmill. My standard procedure is to get out an pull my boat with a rope through the narrows. I've tried sandals before, but would get small pebbles lodged between the sole and my foot occasionally, not fun.

The slippers passed the walking test, I did feel the rocks more due to the thin soles, grip is good. The thin soles are the only issue I have. The footrest on my boat is a metal tube. The thin soles don't distribute the force applied to the tube while paddling. You feel the tube through the slippers. All the force is concentrated on a one inch spot on my feet. We'll see if this is annoying enough reason to ditch them.

Here's a pic looking downstream at the narrows right after I stopped to begin pulling my boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post

Speaking off fishing, came across this last night ...good idea , drop your Go Pro overboard to see whats down there.
    Imagine the horror if something was spotted that they were not expecting!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    I know what you mean, I'm having my doubts. I need to walk my boat for a hundred yards or so on my return trip. There's a narrow channel where a creek has deposited so much rock into the river that the channel narrows to fifty yards or so. I have paddled upstream through this section, but you must be committed to overpower Nature, or your basically on a liquid treadmill. My standard procedure is to get out an pull my boat with a rope through the narrows. I've tried sandals before, but would get small pebbles lodged between the sole and my foot occasionally, not fun.

The slippers passed the walking test, I did feel the rocks more due to the thin soles, grip is good. The thin soles are the only issue I have. The footrest on my boat is a metal tube. The thin soles don't distribute the force applied to the tube while paddling. You feel the tube through the slippers. All the force is concentrated on a one inch spot on my feet. We'll see if this is annoying enough reason to ditch them.

Here's a pic looking downstream at the narrows right after I stopped to begin pulling my boat.
    Terrific canoe Cornhead(HA, think I've said that before..sold my daily driver 6yrs ago..will be buying next spring = lusting at anything since selling it)...1+ on Edd's info being spot on with Keens = comfy and rock solid fit/support...especially once the temps have warmed up.
    Last edited by bigbog; Jun 11, 2015 at 4:02 PM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Yea , something like this
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bodies-i...missing-cases/

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Thankfully our smaller, colder streams up here in the NE are not a playground for Bull Sharks...(yet).
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Thankfully our smaller, colder streams up here in the NE are not a playground for Bull Sharks...(yet).
    I was thinking, bodies! Holy shit I would freak out!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Thread Information