• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2015 Boating Thread

Bostonian

Well... I guess I need something to hold me over until the guns get fired up again...

1908137_10152937974987963_5531414434022741223_n.jpg

First day out on the big lake for the season

dlague

Well... I guess I need something to hold me over until the guns get fired up again...

I used to have a boat docked at Mount View Yacht Club in Gilford that I got rid of years ago when the kids were younger. With this picture you posted, it makes me wish I had it still. Maybe my summer interest would peek.

Cornhead

Well, I guess it's official, ski season is over, finally got out on the Susquehanna in my DY Special for the first time this year. Leisurely 6 mile trip, 3 down, then 3 back upstream, after work today. My f'd up shoulder didn't feel so go when I first started out, but loosened up considerably as I paddled. We'll see how it is returning home on the upstream half, I'm typing this from the riverbank.

Attachments

• 1433369368816.jpg
    1433369368816.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 1433369403692.jpg
    1433369403692.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 88

bigbog

Down then attempted immediate upstream..y/n?....that's a task for your first of the season....but bet it felt good to be on the water again...

Last edited:

Cornhead

Down then attempted immediate upstream..y/n?....that's a task for your first of the season....but bet it felt good to be on the water again...

Yes, I'd prefer to go upstream first, but it's just too shallow. The river is up a little from the recent rain, but a good level, deep enough so the usual shallow spots are easily paddled through, not so deep that upstream paddling is a PITA.

I hope to work up to my usual 12 mile round trip, from my house on the river, downstream to the Rockbottom Dam in Binghamton, and back. It's a pretty good workout, takes me about 3 hrs. Yes, it did feel good to be back on the water. I'm struggling to get into my Summertime routines, last weekend was my first ski-less weekend.

Next project is to get my bicycle ready for some riding. Scotty keeps asking me to go hiking, but 5 straight weekends of bashing bumps at Killington have trashed my knees. Hopefully they'll come around now that I'm finally done.

Tin

I don't exactly boat but this helps in warm months. Trying to get up to Champlain this year.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Dinosaur.jpg
    Dinosaur.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 166

4aprice

Very nice, Chaparral's are great boats and thanks for starting this years thread. Definitely gets me through the summer. We had a semi tough spring with water levels lower then normal (thank's in part to the state of NJ and their incompetence running the dam). Couple of people I know dinged props (thankfully we did not)but the water level has risen due to recent rains.

IMG_0368_000.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

Byram (Party) Cove and some of the Red Neck Yacht Club. Actually a pretty peaceful day as it can get really busy in there.

IMG_0834.jpg

Sunset and Happy Hour at the Jefferson House. (Our version of the Naswa for you Winni boaters)

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Tin

TIN....is NOT a neophyte to bass tactics.....

I used to fish big stuff. Won a few big tournies that helped pay for school. Postspawn deal now, 70+ fish this weekend and couldn't crack one over 4lbs. Where is JRMagic? He is the fisherman.

Cornhead

Made it to the dam today, first time this year, 6 miles upstream till dinner, hope the wind is with me. Got a pair of Speedo aqua slippers from Dick's, $15, I usually just wear an old pair or sneaks, but I'm out. Should help keep some water out of my boat, I think they drain better than sneakers. Real flimsy soles though, feels a little weird on the footrest of my boat.

Attachments

• 1433973848317.jpg
    1433973848317.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 1433973864721.jpg
    1433973864721.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 1433973881051.jpg
    1433973881051.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 63
  • 1433973897769.jpg
    1433973897769.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 64

bigbog

I used to fish big stuff. Won a few big tournies that helped pay for school. Postspawn deal now, 70+ fish this weekend and couldn't crack one over 4lbs. Where is JRMagic? He is the fisherman.

Fun stuff Tin...

Cornhead, You know it! Those..and all their hybrids really make paddling so much more comfy... I haven't checked NRS out lately...they might have a few options...but everything with a big name is pricey...but often well thought out. Some of their gloves are terrific for spring paddling up here.

Last edited:

Edd

Made it to the dam today, first time this year, 6 miles upstream till dinner, hope the wind is with me. Got a pair of Speedo aqua slippers from Dick's, $15, I usually just wear an old pair or sneaks, but I'm out. Should help keep some water out of my boat, I think they drain better than sneakers. Real flimsy soles though, feels a little weird on the footrest of my boat.

I had a pair of those aqua slippers the first year I kayaked. I just didn't care for the feel so I went with a pair of Keen sandals and haven't looked back. They're waterproof and have a more substantial feel if you need to walk in the water, for some reason

Cornhead

I had a pair of those aqua slippers the first year I kayaked. I just didn't care for the feel so I went with a pair of Keen sandals and haven't looked back. They're waterproof and have a more substantial feel if you need to walk in the water, for some reason

I know what you mean, I'm having my doubts. I need to walk my boat for a hundred yards or so on my return trip. There's a narrow channel where a creek has deposited so much rock into the river that the channel narrows to fifty yards or so. I have paddled upstream through this section, but you must be committed to overpower Nature, or your basically on a liquid treadmill. My standard procedure is to get out an pull my boat with a rope through the narrows. I've tried sandals before, but would get small pebbles lodged between the sole and my foot occasionally, not fun.

The slippers passed the walking test, I did feel the rocks more due to the thin soles, grip is good. The thin soles are the only issue I have. The footrest on my boat is a metal tube. The thin soles don't distribute the force applied to the tube while paddling. You feel the tube through the slippers. All the force is concentrated on a one inch spot on my feet. We'll see if this is annoying enough reason to ditch them.

Here's a pic looking downstream at the narrows right after I stopped to begin pulling my boat.

Attachments

• 1434016644824.jpg
    1434016644824.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 62

bigbog

I know what you mean, I'm having my doubts. I need to walk my boat for a hundred yards or so on my return trip. There's a narrow channel where a creek has deposited so much rock into the river that the channel narrows to fifty yards or so. I have paddled upstream through this section, but you must be committed to overpower Nature, or your basically on a liquid treadmill. My standard procedure is to get out an pull my boat with a rope through the narrows. I've tried sandals before, but would get small pebbles lodged between the sole and my foot occasionally, not fun.

The slippers passed the walking test, I did feel the rocks more due to the thin soles, grip is good. The thin soles are the only issue I have. The footrest on my boat is a metal tube. The thin soles don't distribute the force applied to the tube while paddling. You feel the tube through the slippers. All the force is concentrated on a one inch spot on my feet. We'll see if this is annoying enough reason to ditch them.

Here's a pic looking downstream at the narrows right after I stopped to begin pulling my boat.

Terrific canoe Cornhead(HA, think I've said that before..sold my daily driver 6yrs ago..will be buying next spring = lusting at anything since selling it)...1+ on Edd's info being spot on with Keens = comfy and rock solid fit/support...especially once the temps have warmed up.

Last edited: