• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback Mountain Updates

Newpylong

From their FB page:

Dear Friends of the Whale,
We have hit 60% or $60,055 out of our goal of $100,000 to be raised! With only 3 weeks to go, now is the time to give without delay.
The T-bar will be delivered next week, site work is in full swing, but the lift cannot be installed if we do not reach our goal. Once we hit our mark we can file permitting with the NH Tramway Board, complete engineering, and get the show on the road!
Yes, this is going to happen - the West Side project is largest Capital Improvement in scope at the Whale since snowmaking was installed in the 1980s. These improvements will allow us to consistently open on time (earlier in most years), survive lean snow years, offer expanded training and learning terrain, partial lift redundancy, among so many other benefits.
Please help ensure our winter home away from home has the tools it needs to remain a viable asset to this community for years to come.
Donations can be made online at www.whaleback.com/donation or by mailing your gift to UVSSF, 160 Whaleback Mountain Road, Enfield, NH 03748.
Thank you!
-The Whaleback Crew

Los

really, really hope this happens... I made a small donation a couple weeks ago... wish I could give more...

tumbler

I drove by a few times on 89 the past couple weeks and I would think some advertising of this fundraiser and the project stating the exciting changes that could be seen from 89 would generate some more interest. There is that big sign on top of the lodge that would be perfect. Just my .02

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com
AZ, please find below the latest Newsletter:

T-Bar_tower_small.jpg

Dear Whale Friends,

We are down to 2 weeks left in our Fundraising Challenge and we are up to $87,669 of our $100,000 goal!

Last week we also had a special delivery, all the way from Plattekill, NY - the first sections of our T-bar! All of the steel is going to get a fresh coat of paint before going up the hill, what color would you like to see?

Just a reminder, the cost of installing this lift will greatly exceed the purchase price - this is why it is necessary to meet or exceed our $100,000 goal for this to become a reality.

The T-Bar along with the Learning Area, trail, lighting, and snowmaking improvements will make this the largest capital project in scope since snowmaking was installed in the 80s. We want you to be part of it, this is your community mountain after all.

Stay tuned and if you have not already, please consider making a tax deductible donation and help UVSSF continue to provide a safe, affordable and convenient snow experience for children, families and individuals. Donations can be made online at www.whaleback.com/donation or by mailing your gift to UVSSF, 160 Whaleback Mountain Road, Enfield, NH 03748.

Thank you in advance for your help.

The Whaleback Crew
Gerd, Todd, Nora and Stacey

The UVSSF Board
Cathy Bean - Enfield, NH
Willy Black - Hanover, NH
Norm Berman - Meriden, NH
Rob Calhoun - Brownsville, VT
Laura Dykstra - Lebanon, NH
Kris Graham - Norwich, VT
Brad Hastings - Grafton, NH
Nicole Hall Hewett - Meriden, NH
William Malcolm - Lyme, NH
Cornelia Purcell - Hanover, NH
John Schiffman - Hanover, NH
Robert West - Enfield, NH

slatham

Great memories of deep powder and sore legs riding that T-bar at Plattekill. I'm glad it's finding a good new home at Whaleback. Might have to stop by and give it a ride!

Newpylong

I don't think you were getting sore on this one at Plattekill, it was the bunny one (off to the left), not the main T.

slatham

I don't think you were getting sore on this one at Plattekill, it was the bunny one (off to the left), not the main T.

There was a second T? I recall the bunny lift to lookers left being a tow, and now used only for tubing since they installed the carpet lift. T up North Face (now it's a double), Triple to lookers right. But I was only there a few times.

Either way, great to hear what WB is doing. I'm hoping such good news flows from Magic soon!

slatham

Well go figure. Not only that, I found an old trail map that showed the 800' T-bar going up where the triple is, but obviously not to the top. Had no idea. So presumably the big T-bar is still in storage at Platt?

Newpylong

Yes it is.

I've heard that the shorter T (that WB now has) originally came from a SUNY hill prior to Plattekill. It is a 1981 Hall, not sure where that would have been.

Whaleback-Mountain

Website
www.whaleback.com
Good afternoon AZ,

If the install goes on time, and if weather cooperates we aim to open in mid December to get our race teams/clubs on snow here and also get people skiing here vs elsewhere prior to and through Christmas as opposed to after.

Going to be a big party on opening day for sure for a ribbon cutting - hope some AZoners make it.

Los

Good afternoon AZ,

If the install goes on time, and if weather cooperates we aim to open in mid December to get our race teams/clubs on snow here and also get people skiing here vs elsewhere prior to and through Christmas as opposed to after.

Going to be a big party on opening day for sure for a ribbon cutting - hope some AZoners make it.

Great news! I can't wait!! So cool that Whaleback is in my backyard. Basically. :)