• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nashoba to host Summmer Olympics Events and the ski area did not even know about it.

Jully

Obviously some relief would be had, but how big a relief would it really be and for how long would it last? Of course this is why you were also pro MBTA improvements earlier in the thread

Mapnut

It's all Nashoba's fault. How can you have Olympic mountain biking if you don't have a 400-foot mountain?

chuckstah

I guess the organizers will never have to tell Nashoba that they are going to be a venue!

machski

Many may think this is great news but it makes Boston look bad for accepting the US nod and then backing out. Will make many large conventions in the future think twice before book Boston IMHO.

dlague

Many may think this is great news but it makes Boston look bad for accepting the US nod and then backing out. Will make many large conventions in the future think twice before book Boston IMHO.

We did not back down. We were waiting for analysis to determine what the tax payer burden would be. the report was due in a month and they wanted Boston to sign a document guaranteeing that they would pay for all overages. Boston did the right thing

thetrailboss

Staff member

They probably should have thought it through earlier then.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Baker putting the breaks on the Convention Center expansion will be a bigger issue with drawing conventions than this aborted Olympic bid.

Right now Boston has some of the highest hotel room rates and occupancy rates in the country. I think the city does just fine without having a mega convention center like Chicago.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Baker putting the breaks on the Convention Center expansion will be a bigger issue with drawing conventions than this aborted Olympic bid.

Right now Boston has some of the highest hotel room rates and occupancy rates in the country. I think the city does just fine without having a mega convention center like Chicago.

Having lived in Boston during the 2004 Democratic Convention, when they had to practically shut the City down at around 2pm everyday because of "security concerns", I have to say that Boston is NOT a great place for a big event. I really had a hard time seeing them hosting the Olympics since it is a major undertaking that was much more involved than the Democratic Convention.

millerm277

Why would a convention care? They're signing a contract based on what's there or if it's based on some future project their lawyers are going to put in stiff penalties if the contract terms aren't met.

Whether or not Boston signed up for an international mega-event notorious for being a poor investment is not going to have any impact on their decision making.

As a regular PAX East attendee (hits the absolute maximum cap on BCEC attendees), Boston does not have the hotel capacity for what it holds now. PAX sells out every hotel inside 128 and quite a few of the ones on/outside it.

SkiFanE

So proud of my city for backing out. We don't "need" Olympics. So why would we "need" to agree to pick up massive overruns? Lots of other things city could do with the $. And look around Boston - development going on all around, it's crazy. Go down to the old Herald area, South End...they're selling condos like hotcakes. New Whole Foods, new permanent indoor Farmers Market (haven't been yet)...all this without the Olympics. I work with many traveling vendors, all of them love coming to Boston, love the city. Walkable, great food, somewhat clean (lol), the arts, the ocean, etc. Luckily I don't have to rent hotel room though - crazy prices.

So yeah, I'm proud our leaders said no go. If that means the Tupperware convention heads to Orlando because of our "image" - fine by me.

SkiFanE

Oh, and you have to wonder about the brains running IOC - Bejing for Winter Olympics? On man made snow? Can't wait for Bob Costas to explain the wet bulb and show diagrams of snowguns :fangun: