• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Vermont Reports Record Breaking Season

dlague

Thought I would high-light a few things - reasons why I loved this season

Gathering at Jay Peak Resort for the Vermont Ski Areas Association’s 46th Annual Meeting, the Vermont ski industry celebrated a record breaking 2014-15 season with 4,670,903 skier and rider visits. Vermont topped the previous record from 2001 due to another record early opening with ideal conditions for the state’s enhanced snowmaking, the epic parade of snow storms that gave Vermont the most snow of any state in the continental US, and the national story of the season that Vermont was the place to be for powder. Nationally, preliminary numbers show Vermont among just a few states in the country - and the only one in the Northeast - with increased visits.

A near-perfect winter in Vermont allowed for both early openings and extended season operations, leading to the best season on record,” said VSAA President Parker Riehle. “The abundant snowstorms and our statewide snowmaking prowess created ideal conditions for visitors, with widespread press coverage that helped us get the word out that Vermont was the place to ski and ride this season.”

The other top story of the season was the Great Snow Gun Roundup, which enabled Vermont resorts to make more snow with significantly less energy, compressed air and water through Efficiency Vermont’s program that replaced 2,255 inefficient snow guns with 2,721 state-of-the-art low energy guns at 13 resorts – the largest ever snow gun upgrade in the industry’s history. Proceeds from the scrapped guns were generously matched by HKD Snowmakers to substantially boost marketing efforts for Ski Vermont’s Learn to Turn programs.

The strong snow and record visits were also welcome news to the Vermont economy, netting nearly $220 million for the state’s coffers in winter season revenues from the sales tax and the rooms & meals tax. Overall, those revenues increased 4%, with the rooms & meals tax revenue alone topping last season by 8%.

This year also saw record increases for Ski Vermont in earned media, Learn to Turn program sales and the Check In to Win program. Once again, several Vermont resorts garnered numerous state and national awards for conversion efforts, hospitality, workplace wellness and environmental excellence.

JimG.

Staff member
Except for areas like south central VT where snowfall was average to somewhat above average, the cold weather was what made this past season so good.

BenedictGomez

Except for areas like south central VT where snowfall was average to somewhat above average, the cold weather was what made this past season so good.

Pretty much. It wasn't so much that Vermont had any sort of record-breaking snowfall, in fact, it was roughly an average year for snowfall as you said. This is an obvious PR piece.

It's interesting that skier attendance was down in literally every state in the northeast with the exception of Vermont, which does lend credence to their belief that all those, "Vermont is the place to be" and "Vermont has more snow than the west" stories did have a material impact.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's interesting that skier attendance was down in literally every state in the northeast with the exception of Vermont,

which states had lower skier attendance?

People keep saying this, but now VT announces a record breaking year. Sugarloaf (even with the King Pine disaster and bad press) had record skier visits. Wildcat in NH was up 30%. I haven't seen end of season full state numbers for NH and ME, but according to the news stories I've read NH was tracking for a top ten winter mid-February and Maine had a shot at a record year.

Maybe things were off in the Mid-Atlantic and New York, but I don't think that's the case in New England.

crank

Average snowfall with no thaws = a great effing season.

DoublePlanker

The snowfall quantity was average. But at least 2 big dumps had extremely light powder typically not seen in the east. So this seemed like a way above average year for snow quality. The cold temps helped keep the snow quality in good shape.

steamboat1

While it doesn't mention any states specifically the side bar to the article does say that skier visits were down in the northeast.

"This season, the Northeast region was barely off last season’s strong skier visits numbers by 0.8 percent,
and the Southeast region was also down slightly by 1.4 percent. The Rocky Mountain region was down slightly from last season by 2.1 percent. The Midwest region, which suffered from brutal cold spells, dropped 9.3 percent from last season. The Pacific Southwest was down 6.4 percent, and the Pacific Northwest fell by 36.3 percent over the previous season, declines driven largely by weather."

slatham

"Average snowfall with no thaws = a great effing season." That was the key factor. Other favorable factors were an early start and a strong ending. IF the mid-winter weather - especially Presidents week - had been a little less brutal the numbers would have been up big.

drjeff

Doesn't surprise me that much based on what I saw all season in SoVt - a couple of BIG days, probably 1 - 3 less than in a usual year, BUT a more steady week in and week out crowd, and that started a bit earlier and lasted a bit later last season - and that week in and week out steadiness can make up for a few less big days over the course of a roughly 5 month season

dlague

Average snowfall with no thaws = a great effing season.

The snowfall quantity was average. But at least 2 big dumps had extremely light powder typically not seen in the east. So this seemed like a way above average year for snow quality. The cold temps helped keep the snow quality in good shape.

"Average snowfall with no thaws = a great effing season." That was the key factor. Other favorable factors were an early start and a strong ending. IF the mid-winter weather - especially Presidents week - had been a little less brutal the numbers would have been up big.

All of the above were factors but in particular, constant cold temps is the key especially in March for such great conditions.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. 4.6 million. Vermont normally hovers around 4 million so this was a banner season considering the cold. As for my beloved Utah we were under 4 million and actually lower than normal in days and snow. We'll get ours I'm sure.

steamboat1

Skier visits nationwide were down 5% last season & down 3.8% from the 5 year average.

As I posted earlier skier visits were down 0.8% in the northeast & a whopping 36.3% in the Pacific northwest.

If you link to the original article in VT. Biz the sidebar article gives all this information plus more.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

People keep saying this, but now VT announces a record breaking year.

Maybe things were off in the Mid-Atlantic and New York, but I don't think that's the case in New England.

Read the OP.

Skier attendance was down YoY in literally every state, except Vermont.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

BenedictGomez

Skier visits nationwide were down 5% last season & down 3.8% from the 5 year average.

Yup, here are those numbers.

Nationally, the ski industry took its lumps in 2014-15.

Ski areas tallied an estimated 53.6 million skier and snowboarder visits. That was down 5 percent from the prior season and down 3.8 percent from the five-season industry average of 55.7 million.

thetrailboss

Staff member

As I posted earlier skier visits were down 0.8% in the northeast & a whopping 36.3% in the Pacific northwest.

There was very little skiing in the PNW.

crank

All of the above were factors but in particular, constant cold temps is the key especially in March for such great conditions.

In other words - "no thaws"

Another factor no one has mentioned yet is the fact that there was snow on the ground all winter in the metropolitan areas. It may have been cold, but when it snows at home people go skiing. Snow in NY and Boston is the best advertising available for our beloved sport.

VTKilarney

I'm still trying to figure out why Vermont fared better than New Hampshire.

Two reasons come to mind, both of which have to do with the fact that Vermont has some very large ski areas in its southern portion whereas New Hampshire does not.
1) Southern Vermont got some bigger dumps than northern Vermont and nothern New Hampshire received.
2) During the real cold snaps, skiers might have preferred the southern Vermont areas, such as Mt. Snow and Stratton, and didn't have comparable areas to choose from in southern New Hampshire.

steamboat1

People keep saying this, but now VT announces a record breaking year. Sugarloaf (even with the King Pine disaster and bad press) had record skier visits. Wildcat in NH was up 30%. I haven't seen end of season full state numbers for NH and ME, but according to the news stories I've read NH was tracking for a top ten winter mid-February and Maine had a shot at a record year.

"Nationally, preliminary numbers show Vermont among just a few states in the country - and the only one in the Northeast - with increased visits."