• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Vermont Reports Record Breaking Season

HowieT2

not for 'nothing but those numbers dont add up to 100%. Only 86%. so if you add up Ma, Ct, Ri and NH as Boston area people, its over 60% of the total.

Glenn

I could have told you this based on the traffic heading north every weekend from the flatlands. I've never sat in so much traffic as we did this ski season. Friday's were nuts. Waze rerouted us just about every Friday night when we headed up.

cdskier

not for 'nothing but those numbers dont add up to 100%. Only 86%. so if you add up Ma, Ct, Ri and NH as Boston area people, its over 60% of the total.

I did say that was only 86%, but the % for each additional state/country was less and less by that point.

I also wouldn't just add up all the MA, CT, RI, and NH numbers together to get a "Boston area" number. I work with people from CT who would in no way ever define themselves as "Boston" area people. :p Start adding all those different states together and you might as well say "New England" or "North-East" people instead of "Boston" area people.

Cannonball

CT are "Boston area people"?!?!?!?!??! If you really feel the need to lump people, I'd suggest that from a VT ski area's perspective CT would be lumped more with NY. The NY and CT skiers are taking the same(ish) routes to VT. None of them have anything to do with Boston.

mbedle

What I just read on Powder was that not all ski areas are included in the ski visit totals. Vail and all 25 of its resorts are not included in any of the published totals - including CO's total. It looks like all of Vermont's resort are members of the ski are association.

VTKilarney

I once saw a map of the rough division between Red Sox fans and Yankee fans in the state of Connecticut. The line was exactly where you would expect.

But... the part of Connecticut that is New York focused has a much higher density than the part that is Boston focused. It is definitely a mistake to lump all of Connecticut in as a Boston-centric state. Even those that live in the eastern parts of the state only go to Boston on occasion. There aren't really any true Boston suburbs in Connecticut, whereas there are several New York suburbs.

VTKilarney

Here is the map that I was referring to. The one surprise is extreme northwestern Connecticut. Can anyone explain that?

RED SOX.jpg

BenedictGomez

Here is the map that I was referring to. The one surprise is extreme northwestern Connecticut. Can anyone explain that?

attachment.php

It's a straight shot from I-90 into Boston. I doubt it's all that dramatically longer from nw.CT to Boston than it is from nw.CT to Yankee Stadium. Maybe a half-hour or something.

ScottySkis

Summer is here official when these posts oop up.I live n an 80 mile of NYC and were not it ofgood lerce gave of people work in the city and take bus and train for money and good job so do t miss that commute

cdskier

Nice to see I wasn't the only one that didn't think all those states should be grouped together as "Boston area". :)

dlague

I know NH is becoming MA - at least south of Concord but to say NH in Boston whoa!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know NH is becoming MA -

Maybe along the 93 corridor, but not the seacoast. I notice a drastic difference between the Northshore of MA and NH Seacoast area. I spend a lot of time "south of the border" and there is very much a difference from home.

Some people say the same thing about Maine south of Portland. A lot of people from MA migrated to that area, but it's way different in feel.

HowieT2

U guys are too much. I'm not getting into whether ct people are Boston or ny, or what defines Boston people. Just pointing out that those numbers don't necessarily disprove my impression that a good majority of the skiers at sb are from the Boston area. Whether it's 70%, 60% or 58.2735% is immaterial. I'm more than willing to accept otherwise (who really cares anyway) but not based on that data.

drjeff

I once saw a map of the rough division between Red Sox fans and Yankee fans in the state of Connecticut. The line was exactly where you would expect.

But... the part of Connecticut that is New York focused has a much higher density than the part that is Boston focused. It is definitely a mistake to lump all of Connecticut in as a Boston-centric state. Even those that live in the eastern parts of the state only go to Boston on occasion. There aren't really any true Boston suburbs in Connecticut, whereas there are several New York suburbs.

Most people that live in Eastern CT do so because they DON'T want to live in a big city/big suburbia environment - at least that's been my experience the last 14yrs living there :)