• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite month to ski in

Favorite ski month

• October-

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • February

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • March

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • April

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • May+

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
...because the only interesting event on this forum in the past week is a runaway snow tube incident.

I enjoy February. That's peak ski season here in the south. Once March hits it's epic up north but (typically) barren ground here in CT.

dlague

Any month after October and before June. Being from central NH there is always an option.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

March

Intense weekend crowds have or are generally dying down, and the snowpack is at it's average historical peak.

bigbog

It's cold, the snow is dry with less wind everywhere in February...and the tree lines, off-resort, have often just reached their max with little temperature variance...

Last edited:
There's something about skiing in January that entices me. I start early in the day and know the daylight is limited by later in the afternoon, but knowing it's dead winter calendar wise and having so much more of the season still to go makes me happy. I know the base may not be late Feb depths, but I've had some awesome days.

BenedictGomez

Mid feb to mid march

follow-rules.jpg

skiNEwhere

May has had some stellar pow the last couple years. And there's usually less crowds to deal with too.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
It seems that most participants in the survey are explaining their choices, so I guess I should too. A lot of the 100+ day a season skiers often quip, "Oct. to Dec. skiing is to get in shape for the real ski season!"

I selected March for the following reasons:
- Temperatures are generally comfortable
- Snow, especially in the early part of the month, is the deepest of the season
- All terrain that will be open for the season is open including glades and the non-snowmaking parts of the mountain.
- Still catching a powder day here and there
- Crowds (and liftlines) are pretty well gone
- Lots of great discounts to be had

xwhaler

March for sure----can be a wild month with everything from deep pow days to warm spring days.
Usually glades are all in and discounts are available with the masses done for the yr.

BenedictGomez

I selected March for the following reasons:

- Snow, especially in the early part of the month, is the deepest of the season

This depends where you are though.

For instance, I do much of my skiing in northern Vermont, and the deepest snow is usually the latter part of March historically peaking around March 23rd, then declining. That said, ALL of March is usually deeper than the rest of the season.