• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"So are you African American?"

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stupid question: Do you HAVE to be of African descent to be a member of NAACP? Another stupid question: If anyone can join why would it matter what your ancestry is to be in a leadership position? After all they're own website says "We want you to become a part of a legacy dedicated to social justice and equality for all people."

From what I have seen, the bigger issue was that she was saying on applications that she was African-American and was also lying about her parents and family. She also was not a member but was the President of the local chapter. She also was altering her skin color and hair to make her look different and mislead folks. With the exception of perhaps Michael Jackson this is the first time I have heard someone claim that their skin was a different color than what it really was. I don't really see this as being the same as being transgendered. That is different.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not sure what Michael Jackson's reasoning was for lightening his skin. Colorism has been an issue within the black community (and other races) for a long time. I doubt that was his reason though. He seemed too aloof to care what other black people might think of his skin color.

Growing up I actually went to school with someone who was half Asian and half White who hid that he had Asian heritage. Physically, you couldn't tell for certain that he had Asian heritage. He used his mother's maiden name for his last name and no one ever met his father. It wasn't until a couple of years after high school that I found out his full heritage. I wasn't close enough with him to ask why. His father was a very successful doctor too.

Ultimately, this is a two day news story at best. People will either support her, pick her apart or not really care.

freeski

People have the right to wear their hair, dress and present themselves however they want. However, this person: lied about the race of her parents, lied about hate crimes against her, lied on job applications and even plagiarized a painting of a slave ship from the 1800's and called it her own; all in order to perpetuate a fraud for attention and to make money. She's pissed off a lot of people. Maybe she'll get a reality show.

bigbog

People have the right to wear their hair, dress and present themselves however they want. However, this person: lied about the race of her parents, lied about hate crimes against her, lied on job applications and even plagiarized a painting of a slave ship from the 1800's and called it her own; all in order to perpetuate a fraud for attention and to make money. She's pissed off a lot of people. Maybe she'll get a reality show.

+1 ...add to all that the lawsuit filed by HER... Ah, that was just the whitey in her at that time....

ctenidae

Since Ethiopia is currently considered the starting point for Homo sapiens, I guess we are all African, if you go back far enough. Of course, at that point it was probably still Pangaea, so maybe not so much.

Funky_Catskills

Still a very interesting news item..
Questioning and pushing barriers during these racially charged times..

I don't really watch the news anymore..
But this interests me..

Warp Daddy

Bottom line : SHE LIED. For personal gain in employment .......ethically challenged at the least and discriminates against THOSE who were passed over in the employment process as a result of her duplicity .

If she worked for me at my college , after apprpropriate legal counsel , if within legal limitation i would terminate her for that duplicity . Otherwise i would enact alternative sanctions and terminate her at first opportunity . Liars can NEVER be trusted . Trust is EARNED

Funky_Catskills

I tend to view these wacko one offs in a meta view..
I know most people aren't like this..

So in my meta view of things - this is an interesting conversation.
Taking place in interesting times where people have more freedom to claim an identity for what ever reason...

I'm observing.. :)

JimG.

Staff member
I tend to view these wacko one offs in a meta view..
I know most people aren't like this..

So in my meta view of things - this is an interesting conversation.
Taking place in interesting times where people have more freedom to claim an identity for what ever reason...

I'm observing.. :)

I am watching as well for obvious reasons.

She has pissed off a surprising number of groups.

The fine line she created is multi-dimensional. This is why I said that if she had been honest and run for that office and won I would have admired her. I believe there have been a few caucasian state leaders in the NAACP so she probably would not be considered a groundbreaker but I would have called her a pioneer.

The lying part is most disturbing to me though. And she continues to live in her world. Today she stated there is no way to prove that her parents are not African American. Oddly, she has a point.

ctenidae

Today she stated there is no way to prove that her parents are not African American. Oddly, she has a point.

You could say that that is the point, and one that could have been grandly made, if her deception had been to make that point- that there is no difference, save for the color of skin and a genetic propensity for certain diseases, between any groups of humans. But, she missed the chance, and instead appears to be a liar out for her own gain. Too bad.

Dave Chappelle, on the other hand, is awesome.