• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry/Sidecountry Pruning: OK or Not?

Is pruning in the backcountry or sidecountry a good thing?

• Yes, and I do it myself.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Yes, but if done with permission and done right.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • No, not without permission of the landowner.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • No.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other (elaborate)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not sure I'd call Oz a true glade....

And this has been a very good discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

When Oz was cut, it was supposed to be a combination of glades and open western style "bowl" skiing.

They obviously messed up royally with the glade portion of the terrain pod.

thetrailboss

Staff member
When Oz was cut, it was supposed to be a combination of glades and open western style "bowl" skiing.

They obviously messed up royally with the glade portion of the terrain pod.

That was my understanding as well...a 'western bowl' with snowmaking :blink: It's always been ice whenever I have skied it.

Jully

This winter Oz was nice at points because of the dry powder we saw... but this winter was the only one I can think of where I truly enjoyed Oz in the way they probably initially intended

Puck it

Those 2 inch round very young trees can take you out easier than those big ones. They bend at the top but not at the bottom.
Yup, just use your hands to protect chest.
Sucks when the canopy is loaded with snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I couldn't imagine wearing a cup skiing. Would be so uncomfortable. I didn't like wearing one playing football or lax growing up, but I did.

No nut shots so far in 30+ years skiing.

SIKSKIER

=from_the_NEK;906581
This is why you see a lot of logging operations moving to patch cutting. (e.g. roped off areas you see around MRG).
They are called cutblocks.That pretty much has been standard practice for many a moon.Clearcutting huge tracts of forest has been long gone.This is BC but the same holds true for the PNW.

Attachments

• bccutblock.jpg
    bccutblock.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 134

HowieT2

They are called cutblocks.That pretty much has been standard practice for many a moon.Clearcutting huge tracts of forest has been long gone.This is BC but the same holds true for the PNW.

Those are illegal in the NFL

JAM614

This is great discussion.
I would agree that over-cutting is the worst, as well as using a chainsaw on private land without consent. The rule of thumb regarding maximum diameter size is not always appropriate. Consideration on the species and the overall health of the tree have more importance. Depletion of all underbrush/new growth is not desirable either. Keep the trail widths reasonable so the forest can heal as necessary.
The jury is still out regarding "Super Glades" with single species or similar age. Personally I like glades that are narrower that cannot just be traversed. The snow quality holds better and there's generally less traffic since the difficulty weeds out some of the timid.
Time will be the real test to what management practices are best. Glade cutting practices are similar to proper woodlot management, with the added consideration to interesting line choice and snow preservation. It takes experience to make a healthy glade and also one that is interesting to ski.

steamboat1

sorry never knew the name of that mess, I quite going there in the late eighties when in IMHO they butchered the place.

Agree they butchered the Canyon area with Double Dipper & the chair. Superstar trail & chair along with Skyelark & the newly cut Ovation is even a worse mess from what it was originally. I do still enjoy skiing K though. There are still some nice nooks & cranys.

MadMadWorld

So basically you are in favor of mountain managed glades only in the east.

There's hardly such a thing as "natural" glades in the East. Even the vast majority of off map tree skiing areas in the hardwood forests of Northern VT have had some work done.

I personally don't have an issue with folks thinning out side country areas. The "gash" on Big Jay is the rarest of exceptions from what I see. And they were punished accordingly. Most off map glading is pretty subtle and really has little to no negative environmental impact. There's probably 1000X greater acreage of vacant strip malls in New England causing far greater issues than skier pruned forest. Environmentally it is would rate a .2 on a scale of 100......if that.

I've missed your rants

SkiFanE

Thank you to all the bushwackers out there! At least at SR, their thickety vegetation makes un-trimmed tree skiing nearly impossible. Deciduous forests may be perfect, with pitch and line, but all the low growing stuff, can't ski it. Not sure what most of it is called (husband calls it 'gollem'...something he heard someone call it..?) but it's miserable stuff. It needs to be trimmed, and luckily folks will do it. Then there's the evergreen forests - thick...need serious branch trimming. And when you clear in summer, you're 4' lower than when you are in the winter...so it's almost a winter sport. My husband always takes a fold up saw in his backpack when goes bc, both summer and winter. Winter gives him chance to get high up stuff. He's cut his own lines, but with something that folds up in backpack - not very thick stuff. And the way it grows back - can't see how its any type of environmental issue. I guy with a little saw on a 4 hour hike is not doing much damage lol.

But I recall skiing at Stowe and the nature of the woods there makes BC without trimming much easier. Husband and I would always just pop into the woods and go..not saying there were always perfect lines, but neither did you need a machete and full face shield to get through them. I remember we'd spend half our day just poking around (inbounds, but off-trail or 'glades'). I'm trying to even think of a place at SR you could do that - we found a great little 'glade' this winter - but damn thickets made us leave them...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Thank you to all the bushwackers out there! At least at SR, their thickety vegetation makes un-trimmed tree skiing nearly impossible. Deciduous forests may be perfect, with pitch and line, but all the low growing stuff, can't ski it. Not sure what most of it is called (husband calls it 'gollem'...something he heard someone call it..?) but it's miserable stuff. It needs to be trimmed, and luckily folks will do it. Then there's the evergreen forests - thick...need serious branch trimming. And when you clear in summer, you're 4' lower than when you are in the winter...so it's almost a winter sport. My husband always takes a fold up saw in his backpack when goes bc, both summer and winter. Winter gives him chance to get high up stuff. He's cut his own lines, but with something that folds up in backpack - not very thick stuff. And the way it grows back - can't see how its any type of environmental issue. I guy with a little saw on a 4 hour hike is not doing much damage lol.

But I recall skiing at Stowe and the nature of the woods there makes BC without trimming much easier. Husband and I would always just pop into the woods and go..not saying there were always perfect lines, but neither did you need a machete and full face shield to get through them. I remember we'd spend half our day just poking around (inbounds, but off-trail or 'glades'). I'm trying to even think of a place at SR you could do that - we found a great little 'glade' this winter - but damn thickets made us leave them...

The problem arises when it is 20 guys with a little saw on their own 4 hour hikes. Each one of those guys cuts a little more "to improve the line". The next thing you know you have a section of forest 40 yards wide that is free of undergrowth.
In your Stowe example, the woods there were not unlike Sunday River at one time. However, I would venture a guess that there are more guys around Stowe with their saws have been at it a lot longer than those around SR. Around Stowe and Jay, the trimming has had time to mature and the woods look "naturally" free of undergrowth. Sure, at one time, there may have been some strips of completely naturally occurring lines but those have been linked and improved over the years into what you see today.
This situation is why some level of planning/coordination of these trimmed out areas around ski resorts isn't a bad idea. The easily accessible lines around resorts make them enticing for people to go out and "improve" them and IMHO are at the highest risk of being over-cut.
On the other hand, true back country stashes (those away from resorts and major trails like the Catamount trail) that are trimmed out have a pretty low risk of additional uncoordinated trimming.