• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry/Sidecountry Pruning: OK or Not?

Is pruning in the backcountry or sidecountry a good thing?

• Yes, and I do it myself.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Yes, but if done with permission and done right.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • No, not without permission of the landowner.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • No.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other (elaborate)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dickc

Never thought about the sunshine on the highways. That's a great point.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The below is directly from the Maine Turnpike website. http://www.maineturnpike.com/project-and-planning/Current-Projects/2013-13-Clearing,-Falmouth-to-Gray.aspx

Project Scope: This project will include the removal of trees, brush and debris from the roadside, northbound and southbound, beginning at Mile 51.8 and ending at Mile 63 of the Maine Turnpike. Vegetation will be removed to a distance of roughly 55 feet from the edge of pavement on bouth bounds.
The goals of the project are to improve overall roadway safety by removing large trees from the clear zone, reduce shading of the roadway to aid in snow and ice removal operations, and to increase driver reaction times when confronting wildlife crossing the roadway.

bigbob

The Trans Canada through Newfoundland is cleared very wide on both sides so you can spot the moose approaching the roadway. It is a 2 lane road for the most part.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What's sad about those Paradise Woods is that the forest service will soon just close it off because of the damage. Then everyone loses.

bigbog

I assume someone is selling the wood? Does the state get a cut of that?

Don't know but I bet their "Negotiating Fee" was as steep as they could get it...

Agree about the need to put $$$ into replanting...not only of forested-types but of additional food sources for moose & deer. They find the mega food sources...once emptied they move on to other areas = often across highways.. Imho they need to re-plant the food source grasses/plants closer to the woods to keep animals from wandering close to the highways..

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Some people just don't have a clue. If you are using a chainsaw then you best know environmental ecology because most people have good intentions but can really fuck things up without realizing it.

Plowboy

Pretty heavy rainstorm cause it?

Yes......Was over cutting the cause....could be. Most of the undergrowth up there is Alder type scrub. A lot of it has been cut or just plain knocked over by the masses. Without the Alder sucking up the moisture and the dead root system's acting like a sponge, could cause a slide. But...slides do happen naturally, there have been quite a few south of Lincoln Gap on the west side of the Greens.

I can tell you there are not 20 people up there with chainsaw's!!! This area has been wide open for years. Lets go back to when woods skiing was a ticket taking offence at the Bush (80's). Those were the best years for woods skiing......LOL