• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Deal Thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wow. You do way better than me. Pair before last I got probably 100 days out of, but I probably should have ditched them at 80. This last pair only has maybe 60 days on, and I'm ditching them, though I definitely could go another season if I wanted to, but I'm at "last buckle" in a few places and given I only paid $50 for them on EBAY (my best ski equipment bargain to date) I dont really care.

I had/have the same fear, but given my last positive experience, and the fact as has been discussed in this thread that online returns are so simple now, I'm now far less apprehensive.

I lot of my life I was skiing 60-100 days a season. So, I'd try and get 2-3 years out of them. My Kryptons I gave up on after 150ish.

It's not so much returning I'm concerned with, but long term fit issues where a shop can punch things out in places or re-mold liners if needed.

Those services come at an expensive cost if you don't buy the boots from a shop. Typically free for the life of the boot when you buy from shop. I've also gotten buckles replaced for free with store bought boots.

Everything else I typically buy online

dlague

I lot of my life I was skiing 60-100 days a season. So, I'd try and get 2-3 years out of them. My Kryptons I gave up on after 150ish.

It's not so much returning I'm concerned with, but long term fit issues where a shop can punch things out in places or re-mold liners if needed.

Those services come at an expensive cost if you don't buy the boots from a shop. Typically free for the life of the boot when you buy from shop. I've also gotten buckles replaced for free with store bought boots.

Everything else I typically buy online

Ya I never needed boots punched out so I would not know. Then again I also go a size up from tight toe fit. Dalbello's also a high volume boot with a wider last for the most part.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, I size down. Anything more than a bit of toe wiggle and performance of the boot suffers IMO. At first they'll be okay, but then it just loosens fast in other areas of the boot. No good

steamboat1

It isn't sloppy seconds! Still new gear at 50% off or more - I will take that any day. Really, to each there own - you keep going to your B&M and I will stick to my online shopping. What ever makes you feel good. Curious, where do you do your research?
I'm good.

Same price on Evo, more on other sites.

Better yet skied them the same day I bought them, no charge for binding adjustment.

Did the heat treatment right then & there.

I'll take it.

Last edited:

yeggous

Yeah, I size down. Anything more than a bit of toe wiggle and performance of the boot suffers IMO. At first they'll be okay, but then it just loosens fast in other areas of the boot. No good

I size down too. It goes a long way to extending the life of the boot.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Brad J

I size down too. It goes a long way to extending the life of the boot.

I sized down and replaced the liner at 100 days, with a Zipfit liner, That was 140 days ago and they still feel better than new. Now I just try to protect the soles from wear with cat tracks.

BenedictGomez

I never needed boots punched out so I would not know.

I dont even know what "punching out" boots means. What is that?

Then again I also go a size up from tight toe fit.

I go slightly smaller, maybe that's why I get a bit fewer days than most people? Going smaller likely has to do with hockey, I just prefer the boot feeling like it's part of me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Punching out equals "shell expansion".

If there's an area of the boot creating pain/pressure, it can be punched out to relieve that pressure.

Getting tighter fitting boots will have the opposite effect in general if they are quality boots. They won't pack out as quickly as looser fitting boots

And 60 days is a LOT fewer days than most. I'd say 150+ is average for most fanatics.

Liners pack out, but the shells remain good for a long, long time. Replace your liners and keep your boots.

Puck it

Liners pack out, but the shells remain good for a long, long time. Replace your liners and keep your boots.
Not true always. I have cracked boot shells a couple of times. The other things are heel and toes pieces get worn from hiking and walking. These are always tough to find after a couple of years. I had to replace boots last year because I lost the canting lock when the screw came out. Head did not have any to replace it.

Wow cracked shells-have not seen that too often. Walking in boots and wearing down their soles for sure puts an end to boots. That's one of several reasons to not walk to/from the car in your boots. Still my point being 90% of boots are retired with plenty of life left in them. Get a good pair of boots and get a good fit and keep them a long time. Replace the liners several times in the course of their life.

yeggous

It is true that shells last longer than liners. I just have a really hard time justifying the expense of just liners. If I am spending that much on new liners, then I am going all in. Most shops don't even stock liners.

steamboat1

I don't think that anyone who is purchasing last year's products is purchasing products that are the wrong size or something that they aren't interested in.
Well in the case of the skis I purchased (which I wanted) the size I wanted wasn't available (178) on any site online. Purchased what I wanted at the shop for the same price they were offered for online.

Last edited:

steamboat1

The other things are heel and toes pieces get worn from hiking and walking. These are always tough to find after a couple of years.
This is the reason I bought new boots. While I was able to replace the old heel piece which was worn & I got a couple of more years out of the boots there was no toe piece to replace, it was part of the mold of the shell, no replacement part. After awhile the boots wouldn't properly click into the binding. Plus the liner started to shred. Probably close to 15 years I got out of those boots (flame away).

VTKilarney

Well in the case of the skis I purchased (which I wanted) the size I wanted wasn't available (178) on any site online. Purchased what I wanted at the shop for the same price they were offered for online.

That proves my point.

BenedictGomez

It is true that shells last longer than liners. I just have a really hard time justifying the expense of just liners. If I am spending that much on new liners, then I am going all in. Most shops don't even stock liners.

This is the mental process where I'm at. I understand that the "boots" have life in them, but at the relative expense, I genuinely do not understand the point of replacing the liners and keeping the boot that has 93 days on it. I can get an entirely new boot/liner for the same cost (or even less) on sale as the replacement liner, so why on earth would I just buy a liner?