• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Deal Thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
Only real way to do it is to try a bunch of boots on in stores and then look for a better deal online. I don't feel comfortable doing that; it's kind of rude. I somewhat did this when I bought my Kryptons online. I tried a set of Rampages on in a store and liked the general fit of the Dalbello and went for it. They were okay boots for five years.

My current boots I convinced myself I liked them because of the price, but I really don't like them. I'll live with them for awhile as it's really not easy selling used ski boots and getting much of a return.

Next set of boots I want to be perfect. I don't care if it takes me 30 hours of trying on different kinds and a Grand to buy them. Never skimping on boots again.

xwhaler

Other option is to buy 2-4 pairs of boots online and just return what you don't like. This is what I do and it has worked out well.
Saves me the time/aggravation of working with a shop, feeling the pressure to buy. If I don't buy I spend time going someplace else etc.
I'ts just much easier to buy and return (most places offer pre-paid return shipping or you can ship back yourself) that can be deducted directly from the credit.
Keep in mind that boots you try on in your living room will always feel different when on the hill. I took a chance on some Technicas at deep discount last Fall and they felt super tight/uncomfortable in the house. Given the price I took the chance they would loosen up and feel differently on snow and they did and now feel great.

If you have odd shaped feet or something unique that going to a boot fitter would help you that may be your best bet.

dlague

New boots are my next hill to tackle.

Last year was season #3 on my boots, and at year-end I was tightening the buckles to the last notch. I'm about 150x more nervous about buying boots online than skis though (and 15,000x more than bindings).

EDIT: And they dont exactly make it easy on you when they dont mention the BSL or the mondo sizing, but only the shoe size.

I do not see boots online without mondo size if you do call their customer service. I know what mondo size I like and since I do not wear my boots with the toes crammed in, it has never been an issue buying online.

Only real way to do it is to try a bunch of boots on in stores and then look for a better deal online. I don't feel comfortable doing that; it's kind of rude. I somewhat did this when I bought my Kryptons online. I tried a set of Rampages on in a store and liked the general fit of the Dalbello and went for it. They were okay boots for five years.

My current boots I convinced myself I liked them because of the price, but I really don't like them. I'll live with them for awhile as it's really not easy selling used ski boots and getting much of a return.

Next set of boots I want to be perfect. I don't care if it takes me 30 hours of trying on different kinds and a Grand to buy them. Never skimping on boots again.

I find that it is best to stick to a brand for fit. Dalbello fits the same for me every time. I did buy a pair of Lange boots I liked online but after one season they started squeaking but whether bought locally or online that cannot be prevented - used them for three years and went back to Dalbello.

Other option is to buy 2-4 pairs of boots online and just return what you don't like. This is what I do and it has worked out well.
Saves me the time/aggravation of working with a shop, feeling the pressure to buy. If I don't buy I spend time going someplace else etc.
I'ts just much easier to buy and return (most places offer pre-paid return shipping or you can ship back yourself) that can be deducted directly from the credit.
Keep in mind that boots you try on in your living room will always feel different when on the hill. I took a chance on some Technicas at deep discount last Fall and they felt super tight/uncomfortable in the house. Given the price I took the chance they would loosen up and feel differently on snow and they did and now feel great.

If you have odd shaped feet or something unique that going to a boot fitter would help you that may be your best bet.

I agree with the pressure. When I walk in a local shop, I do not know if they have the best prices. I may try on a few pair, but I would want to compare their prices to other shops which requires driving around (waste of time). The other problem I find at shops is the person fitting the boot has their POV. Last time I bought in a store about 15 years ago, they sold me into a pair where my feet were pressed at the toe. Got wicked toe bang and toes always froze on cold days. Lived with those torture devices for a few years and then opted to go online and bought a size up. Feet are comfortable and they never freeze.

My question is - how many of you actually buy different size boots? I have used the same mondo size for the past 12 years and always buy online for my whole family.

Note: If you do not want to go to a shop to try boots on then go to a help yourself store like sports authority and try away - no guilt. BTW, sometimes they have decent prices at the same time.

BenedictGomez

Funny you mention this, this is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. So you may eat two or three $4.95 return shipping fees. That's not a big deal when you're buying $299 - $450 original price boots for $100 - $150.

I do not see boots online without mondo size if you do call their customer service. I know what mondo size I like and since I do not wear my boots with the toes crammed in, it has never been an issue buying online.

Sierra Trading has a bunch with only shoe size.

So I emailed Technica for the historical info on the BSL and Mondo, and they replied back to me within 15 minutes. Talk about efficient customer service.

xwhaler

Funny you mention this, this is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. So you may eat two or three $4.95 return shipping fees. That's not a big deal when you're buying $299 - $450 original price boots for $100 - $150.

Exactly, it's a small price to pay for the overall savings and general ease of transaction. Have done it a few times for both myself and my wife and it's worked out well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sites should not only have Monroe size, but also the last for every boot they sell.

Yes, you can go to the manufacturer website and look it up, but why make a customer go through that when it's an easy dimension to list.

mbedle

Do you guys every use moldable liners in your ski boots? I'm not sure if ski boots come with them. I ride hard-boots on a board and you can't get boots without a moldable liner. Nice to have, perfect fit every time. Plus you can remold them if you feel your liners are getting packed out.

dlague

Exactly, it's a small price to pay for the overall savings and general ease of transaction. Have done it a few times for both myself and my wife and it's worked out well.

And all from your own home or office!

catsup948

Do you guys every use moldable liners in your ski boots? I'm not sure if ski boots come with them. I ride hard-boots on a board and you can't get boots without a moldable liner. Nice to have, perfect fit every time. Plus you can remold them if you feel your liners are getting packed out.

My new nordica patron pros have moldable liner but I'm just skiing in them to let them mold to my foot. Seems to be working, I'll see how they work next season.

catsup948

I have pretty normal feet and I know exactly what size will likely work for me. I generally do a ton of research and then gamble on one pair of boots. I got my current boots for 190 bucks on skis.com.

mbedle

My new nordica patron pros have moldable liner but I'm just skiing in them to let them mold to my foot. Seems to be working, I'll see how they work next season.

I would highly suggest that you get them molded. If they are designed to be heated in an oven, your body temperature might not give you the best fit they offer. Its pretty easy to do at home or take them to a shop - most will do it for free. Do you know what kind of liners you have?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've got heat moldable liners for my Nordica Firearrow, which I had done when I purchased them. Issue is with the shell around my ankle bones. Tried getting them punched, but it didn't help much. I'll live with it for another season or two. I should have just spent the $750 on the Technicas I tried on the same day that fit perfect. Got drunk on the good deal being offered for the Nordicas

mbedle

I've got heat moldable liners for my Nordica Firearrow, which I had done when I purchased them. Issue is with the shell around my ankle bones. Tried getting them punched, but it didn't help much. I'll live with it for another season or two. I should have just spent the $750 on the Technicas I tried on the same day that fit perfect. Got drunk on the good deal being offered for the Nordicas

Check with Nordica and see if the liners are remolded. If so, pack out your ankles and remold them to see if that helps. Did the liner happen to get folded over during the molding? - that would put extra pressure on your foot. Take the liners out and see how think the liner is in the areas around your ankle. If it's paper thin, there is not much you can do to fix that, since you already tried to punch them out the shells. If you are willing to spend the money, get a pair of intuition liners. You can remold them 6 times (incase you make a mistake the first time or they start to get packed out after a couple of seasons. I got them a couple of years ago and they fit like a second skin and are warm as hell.

dlague

750 is way out of my league and ballpark.

catsup948

Never mind, the Nordica Patron Pro are self adapting liners - not the kind you heat in the oven.

Haha! After I wrote that I went and checked. They are not heat moldable! Now that they have broken in a bit they are very comfy. Velvet liners. My Garmont touring boots are heat moldable. I did the mold myself and it worked great. Found info on TGR how to do it using a pizza stone.