• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Deal Thread

Jcb890

I guess this is as good of a place to post as any...

I'm looking at buying some new clothing/gear for this upcoming season. My old pants will be too big by the time the snow starts to fly and I lost my last pair of Spy goggles at Mt. Snow (left them in lodge one afternoon, like a moron!).

Two-part question here:

1 - What kind of pants should I be looking at? Brands and weatherproofing would be helpful. My last pair are Bonfire I believe and are either 8k or 10k, I forget. I'll need XL for size I believe.
2 - Where has the best deals on ski/snowboard pants?

For goggles, I am torn on what to get. The ones I keep going back to are:
- Anon M2: super expensive, love the quick-replace lens system with magnets.
- Spy Doom: much more reasonable, good luck with Spy stuff in the past, curious how the "Happy Lens" works.

I'm not sure where and when is the best time and place to get deals on goggles either. Any opinions or help would be much appreciated.

I've never looked into used jackets/pants. Is that a good or bad idea?

BenedictGomez

Anyone ever ski this 2013/14 model of these things (below)? Wondering how they perform.

Tip rocker, flat tail, wood core, lightweight, near 100mm underfoot; in my never-ending quest for the perfect eastern tree ski, these are all aspects I think will help. Absurdly cheap on clearance right now for < $150.

fischer-watea-96-alpine-skis-for-men-in-see-photo~p~7274k_99~1500.2.jpg

dlague

Anyone ever ski this 2013/14 model of these things (below)? Wondering how they perform.

Tip rocker, flat tail, wood core, lightweight, near 100mm underfoot; in my never-ending quest for the perfect eastern tree ski, these are all aspects I think will help. Absurdly cheap on clearance right now for < $150.

fischer-watea-96-alpine-skis-for-men-in-see-photo~p~7274k_99~1500.2.jpg

Interesting, found then for $136 for the 96 and $149 for 101. That is a great price for that ski. Even though I am not in the market for skis, I am considering these. I tested these against some Rossignol Experience 98 last year and I like both pair of skis. The both skied about the same and carved really nice. The Rossi's tracked a little better IMO but the front tip rise of the Watea's felt better in the trees with respect to turn initiation.

skiNEwhere

I'm looking at buying some new clothing/gear for this upcoming season. My old pants will be too big by the time the snow starts to fly and I lost my last pair of Spy goggles at Mt. Snow (left them in lodge one afternoon, like a moron!).

Two-part question here:

1 - What kind of pants should I be looking at? Brands and weatherproofing would be helpful. My last pair are Bonfire I believe and are either 8k or 10k, I forget. I'll need XL for size I believe.

- Spy Doom: much more reasonable, good luck with Spy stuff in the past, curious how the "Happy Lens" works.

I'm not sure where and when is the best time and place to get deals on goggles either. Any opinions or help would be much appreciated.

Definitely check out http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/skis-on-sale

I got some new armada snow pants for I think $60-$70 last season. I think you have to sign up for their mailing list and get a bunch of emails from them, but they really do have some good deals. If you hold out you'll probably see the stuff you're looking for pop up. Even if you don't they have pretty good discount to begin with.

HowieT2

Two-part question here:

I have those Anon M2 goggles, they are great. super customer service also. My story is I bought the M1s, had a problem with them after using them one season and they replaced on warranty with the M2. Then I had an issue with one of the lenses so they gave me a whole new goggle with two new lenses.

BenedictGomez

Interesting, found then for $136 for the 96 and $149 for 101. That is a great price for that ski. Even though I am not in the market for skis, I am considering these. I tested these against some Rossignol Experience 98 last year and I like both pair of skis. The both skied about the same and carved really nice. The Rossi's tracked a little better IMO but the front tip rise of the Watea's felt better in the trees with respect to turn initiation.

Pulled the trigger, $146 with the tax & free shipping. Couldnt resist.

Next I'll find some bindings on clearance. The way I figure it, I'll give em' a whirl, and if I dont like them in the tight trees they'll go right to EBAY and I'll make a miniscule profit or break even. Cant really lose.

catsup948

Backcountry.com is unloading gear on eBay. Lots of bindings cheap. I think there is even a $10 promo code available right now too.

BenedictGomez

Backcountry.com is unloading gear on eBay. Lots of bindings cheap.

Wow. Those are some really good EBAY deals, thanks for the tip.

I could get either Rossignol Axial 3 120s or Salomon STH 12 both in 100mm for $117.60, free shipping included. I doubt I could do much better than that.

I have those same Rossi bindings on Line Prophets and I'm happy with them. I'm unfamiliar with the Salomon STH 12 so I'll have to GOOG them a bit.

dlague

Pulled the trigger, $146 with the tax & free shipping. Couldnt resist.

Next I'll find some bindings on clearance. The way I figure it, I'll give em' a whirl, and if I dont like them in the tight trees they'll go right to EBAY and I'll make a miniscule profit or break even. Cant really lose.

Nice! Good point too!

BenedictGomez

Done.

Got the Fischer Watea 96 w/ Rossignol Axial 3 120 bindings for $263.60 total. Figure $35 installation and the full cost of the rig should be $299.

Quietman

Can you please post where you see these for $136?

Thanks!!!!

BenedictGomez

Sierra Trading Post has some Touring Boot closeouts

New boots are my next hill to tackle.

Last year was season #3 on my boots, and at year-end I was tightening the buckles to the last notch. I'm about 150x more nervous about buying boots online than skis though (and 15,000x more than bindings).

EDIT: And they dont exactly make it easy on you when they dont mention the BSL or the mondo sizing, but only the shoe size.

Last edited:

Jcb890

It seems like there's some decent deals on Gore-Tex pants on eBay, but I honestly have no idea what is good/bad. I'm currently using a pair of 10+ year old Bonfire pants w/ 10k waterproofing, which will not fit this coming season.

Anybody have any tips for me?
Good brands?
Good prices?
What should I be looking for?

Sorry for the newbie questions.:grin: